Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model3 AWD
Occupation
computers
Country flag
We am currently having issues with our M3 harnesses being chewed. As I understand it is because of the plant based plastics) Sadly We am strongly reconsidering getting a CT. Has Tesla stated that they will make the harnesses immune/bad tasting/repellant/untouchable/etc to stop them from getting chewed?

In the way of background, We am currently on our sixth harness chewing on our M3, each time we feel we are taking stronger and stronger measures to stop it. So getting another Tesla with the same weakness is of real concern. Thanks :)
Sponsored

CyberOwl

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation Series AWD, Model 3 RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Foul Owl
Country flag
Wow! I'm so happy to know about this Tesla design issue. We have a lot of problems with rodents nesting in our vehicles, plant based plastics will get gobbled up in no time. Maybe exoskeleton design means wiring runs along the interior? Are you finding zapped rodents from chewing high voltage cables? How about a CT sentry mode rodent zapper built in!

OP
OP

gernreich

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model3 AWD
Occupation
computers
Country flag
Thanks for the responses Crissa, CyberOwl :) Well it sounds like unless Elon tweets something All I can do is hope for the best :-D

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Thanks for the responses Crissa, CyberOwl :) Well it sounds like unless Elon tweets something All I can do is hope for the best :-D
We have seen in Sandy Munro’s tear down of the Model Y that the wiring (some of it at least) is encased in tubes. This would address some of the problem wouldn’t it?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah. And they added little blocks to close off where they had gaps in the internal tubes of framework, too. And use a more reistant spray-foam in places now instead of blankets.

It's a learning process.

I'd say, also, get a cat ^-^

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Yeah. And they added little blocks to close off where they had gaps in the internal tubes of framework, too. And use a more reistant spray-foam in places now instead of blankets.

It's a learning process.

I'd say, also, get a cat ^-^

-Crissa
My wife had mice, rats, or both in her Mazda’s engine compartment. I am sure they like the warm, dry area. I bet every ICE car has that kind of problem, and a lot more wiring. I am certain that Tesla is working to solve this problem. It is definitely sad that it is happening and I am glad the issue has been raised.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
This not just a Tesla problem. The plastic used in old style wiring was very toxic to the environment.

------------------------------------------------

F-150 Forum - Rodent Wiring Damage - Prevention??
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/rodent-wiring-damage-prevention-472625/

Class-Action Lawsuit: Rats Love Toyota Wiring So Owners Sue Again
by Thom Taylor on September 21, 2020
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/class-action-lawsuit-rats-love-toyota-wiring-so-owners-sue-again/

Rats will devour your car
By Karin Brulliard
Feb. 13, 2020
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/02/13/rats-will-devour-your-car/
The engine died immediately after Tess Klingenstein turned the key in her Honda Fit on a mild January day. When she tried again, she said, “every single alert light” flashed. The car was fairly new, so she was surprised. The mechanic who looked under the hood a few days later was not.

“ ‘You’ve had rats,’ ” Klingenstein, a speech-language pathologist in Washington, said he told her. The rodents had chewed wiring and defecated in air filters, causing $300 in damage. “He said I had gotten off lucky.”

Rats take up residence in Gold Coast car engines, cause damage in the thousands of dollars
ABC Gold Coast
By Solua Middleton, Julie Clift & Josie Sargent
Posted ThuThursday 23 JulJuly 2020
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07...-coast-cars-thousands-dollars-damage/12484728

Squirrels damage driver's car for third time costing owner thousands in repairs
Reeve and his wife, Beryl, bought a 2018 Ford Escape
By Pat Foran
Consumer Alert Videojournalist, CTV News Toronto
Published Thursday, March 5, 2020
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/squirrel...-costing-owner-thousands-in-repairs-1.4841188

Daisy Paez on Twitter: "RATS are the culprit.They ate the wiring of the engine when started it spark. residents complained about the rats causing damage to their cars. A resident attempted to move her car as request by Management for them to fix the sink hole. In doing so this was the result https://t.co/5oLy35MWVl" / Twitter
2019 Sept 17

Students claim rats causing costly damage to cars at FAU
Mechanic says rats make themselves at home in engines, chew on wiring
BOCA RATON, Fla.
2019 Oct 29
https://www.local10.com/news/2019/10/29/students-claim-rats-causing-costly-damage-to-cars-at-fau/

One More Thing to Think About during COVID-19: Rats in Your Engine Compartment
City dwellers had better take a look, because these rodents' lives and feeding patterns have been disrupted during the pandemic.
By Sebastian Blanco
May 4, 2020
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32357852/rats-in-car-engines-coronavirus/

NPR reporter Kelsey Snell posted that, after not driving her VW Jetta for a week, she was greeted by an unexpected surprise when she got in to run an errand. Snell said she was alerted to possibility of there being something wrong when her car displayed an exhaust system error message. As it was a new car, she thought that was strange and so opened the hood to discover some rat excrement and what looked to be a nest. After contacting her dealership for help, Snell learned that hers was the fifth call in a week about a rat problem.

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Even if rats/mice don’t get your wiring, there are other ways that can be destructive. I had a Honda CRX that had mice get into the air ducts. They left a bunch of excrement etc in there and made it practically intolerable to drive anymore. I had to get rid of that car. It was just not worth driving under those conditions.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
When I saw GM Hummer reveal I thought Cybertruck needs cameras underneath truck too. Now we see there is another reason why.

Another danger of the apocalypse is possible take over of the world by world by cockroaches & mice/rats.

To be leader in apocalypse technology the Cybertruck must be prepared.

Cybertruck needs cameras underneath with IR lighting & sentry mode needs to be enhanced to track these new threats.

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
When I saw GM Hummer reveal I thought Cybertruck needs cameras underneath truck too. Now we see there is another reason why.

Another danger of the apocalypse is possible take over of the world by world by cockroaches & mice/rats.

To be leader in apocalypse technology the Cybertruck must be prepared.

Cybertruck needs cameras underneatch with IR lighting & sentry mode needs to be enhanced to track these new threats.
Or even other critters. My mom was nearly bitten by a huge rattle snake once. Dad and mom were driving across Nebraska. Mom needed a bio-break so they stopped at the side of the road. Mom got out and did her business. As she was about to get back into the vehicle, the rattler started rattling. Every move she made she could hear the rattle get louder. But she couldn’t see the snake. She told dad to pull the car forward a bit. As the car moved forward, there was a loud pop sound. The car had driven over and crushed the snake.

All that to say, it would be nice to be able to see under the vehicle. IR at night would be nice. But this is also an edge case so while I’d enjoy seeing under as I crawl rocks or avoid wildlife, I won’t complain if Thais feature is not on my CT. Would certainly be cool to have though.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Under the Cybertruck is a big, flat piece of 3mm stainless.

-Crissa

That does does not cover the entire underbody. It can't.

There still are many exposed wires & tubes.

All Teslas have large flat plate protecting the battery.

There are many reports of Teslas damaged by rodents.

some results from forums.tesla.com

Rat gnawed brake hydraulics
Discussion in 'Australia' started by eclectricdave, Jul 12, 2017
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/rat-gnawed-brake-hydraulics.93888/#post-2190404

Rodent damage in M3? — Tesla Forums
forums.tesla.com › discussion › rod...
7 dic. 2018 — Now that weather is colder, anyone have mice or chipmunks or other rodents nesting in their M3s?

Rodent damage coolant line to drive axle — Tesla Forums
forums.tesla.com › discussion › rod...
10 ene. 2020 — Rodents love to chew on them doesn't matter where they are. Scrannel Posted ... I had rat damage to front sensor wiring harness. ($170?

Anyone had problems with squirrels, other rodents gnawing ...
forums.tesla.com › discussion › an...
15 dic. 2019 — Anyone had problems with squirrels, other rodents gnawing on wires? ... in most new cars including Teslas have a soy based ingredient that rodents ... Yes, I had my windshield fluid hoses damaged by rats recently... for some ...

Mice eating wire insulation in my 4 month old Model 3 (pics ...
forums.tesla.com › discussion › mi...
4 may. 2020 — I also seriously doubt Tesla will cover that damage. If you can't park it somewhere more secure then you might consider setting out mice/rat traps ...

Wire Eating Rats
Feb 25, 2020
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/wire-eating-rats.687/

71 results from teslamotorsclub.com

----

Rodent damage | Tesla Motors Club
teslamotorsclub.com › tmc › threads
I got a call this am that the power steering failure on my S is due to rodents..wiring harness replacements over £2.3K and I'm still waiting for the.
13 feb. 2020 · 20 publicaciones · ‎14 autores

Model Y rodent damage? | Tesla Motors Club
teslamotorsclub.com › ... › Model Y
Apparently, some Tesla models have had serious damage due to rodents. Does anyone know if the Model Y is as vulnerable?
21 oct. 2020 · 16 publicaciones · ‎11 autores

More Rodent Damage *PHOTOS* | Tesla Motors Club
teslamotorsclub.com › ... › Model S
For the second time in a month, rodents (probably mice) have chewed through my rear ultrasonic sensor harness. This time we're wrapping the ...
18 may. 2020 · 20 publicaciones · ‎14 autores

Rodent damage | Tesla Motors Club
teslamotorsclub.com › tmc › threads
Scheduled service immediately and brought my LR AWD into Vancouver SC today. I received a call from them that rodents have damaged ...
14 dic. 2019 · 14 publicaciones · ‎9 autores

Rabbit Causing Damage to Wiring. | Tesla Motors Club
teslamotorsclub.com › ... › Model S
The mice and rats never used to chew the engine wires before they were required to become environmentally friendly and started making them ...
14 ago. 2018 · 20 publicaciones · ‎20 autores

Rodent damage: my washer fluid reservoir was leaking. It was ...
teslamotorsclub.com › ... › Model 3
Went into Tesla service today for alignment. Alignment ... Rodent damage is not cover under warranty obviously. ... In my previous car - Audi - I have had wires chewed and a few mice that made their way into awkward places.
7 nov. 2019 · 20 publicaciones · ‎17 autores

Rodent - probably squirrel - damage | Tesla Motors Club
Tesla repaired the wiring harness for just under $300 (~$100 labor and $195 diagnostics). Evidence of rodents under the car, seems like just in ...
28 jul. 2020 · 11 publicaciones · ‎11 autores

Mouse infiltrated Model 3 | Tesla Motors Club
teslamotorsclub.com › ... › Model 3
If the mice dug through the dashboard to make a nest or in (hopefully vain) search for food, they may have done ...
23 oct. 2019 · 20 publicaciones · ‎16 autores

Mice chewing on car wiring... | Tesla Motors Club
teslamotorsclub.com › ... › Off Topic
We've had very costly damage caused by mice (or maybe voles - they didn't confess). They liked to chew off the wires right at the O2 sensors, ...
19 ago. 2012 · 17 publicaciones · ‎9 autores

A mouse ate my Tesla | Page 2 | Tesla Motors Club
Rodents chewed through the socks and ate the Irish Spring. ... I know another guy who had damage to his Tesla but I think it was repairable.
13 dic. 2020 · 20 publicaciones · ‎19 autores

*** there are many many more

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
After seeing the numerous reports of massive damage caused rodents we might need sentry mode more to track rodents than for thieves.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Under the Cybertruck is a big, flat piece of 3mm stainless.

-Crissa
And under that is a potentially uneven surface of varied materials. I’d be looking at the lower surface. Not the bottom of the cT.
Sponsored