Mice rats and wiring

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
We have seen in Sandy Munro’s tear down of the Model Y that the wiring (some of it at least) is encased in tubes.

This would address some of the problem wouldn’t it?
Unfortunately, NO

They eat through the wire protective tube too.
They have eaten hydraulic brake lines and coolant lines!!

------------------------------------------------

Rodent damage coolant line to drive axle
https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/170743/rodent-damage-coolant-line-to-drive-axle

L3CTRFY M3
Posted January 10
Has anyone had this happen to their M3, S, or X? Got the power reduced warning, so I took it to the service center, turns out a rodent chewed through the coolant line on the rear drive axle.

jlehmer_98249898
October 6
Yes, had same problem.
Just got the "low power" warning 3 days ago on my M3. Tesla service found rodent damage to the coolant hose for the battery.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/more-rodent-damage-photos.193732/page-2#post-4794847

More Rodent Damage *PHOTOS*
At over $850 each incident, this is getting ridiculous.
For the second time in a month, rodents (probably mice) have chewed through my rear ultrasonic sensor harness. This time we're wrapping the harness and connectors with some of Honda's Rodent Tape (Honda Part No: 4019-2317). I'm also spraying peppermint oil, moth balls, rodent deterrent spray, Decon blocks and raising the suspension to the highest setting when parked.
by SSonnentag, May 18, 2020
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/more-rodent-damage-photos.193732
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
And under that is a potentially uneven surface of varied materials. I’d be looking at the lower surface. Not the bottom of the cT.
Well, on other Teslas that's the battery pack. Rats that get into the drains there don't live long.

They usually get in and nest above the ventilation ducks in the front, under the frunk. That's where all your control wires are exposed, too.

-Crissa

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I just discovered mouse damage in my BMW yesterday. BMW also uses a plant base/low petroleum wire jacket on their cars. It's also a well documented issue that mice love it.

My dog was chasing a mouse in the snow yesterday. Fun to watch to but I was not happy to see a mouse. My out door cat died a couple of months ago and the mice just move right in as soon as it gets cold.

Been looking for a free or feral super fluffy cat to replace the dead one. I've never paid for a pet but it seems Covid has put a premium on all the free cats.

BTW, a mouse can jump in the engine compartment and destroy things overnight. Literally overnight. They are very industrious.

strongsafety31

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
retired
Country flag
On the Munro tear down I did see tubing that was for the wiring. I think the CT will be superior to ICE vehicles in the way it protects wiring. The CT supposedly can float for a brief period...probably not forever....but this would mean tolerances are tighter. Just my two cents worth.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
After seeing the numerous reports of massive damage caused rodents we might need sentry mode more to track rodents than for thieves.

Maybe that is an alternative use of Tesla's patented Laser Windshield Wipers. Rat Zapper 2000.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Maybe that is an alternative use of Tesla's patented Laser Windshield Wipers. Rat Zapper 2000.
Somewhere in the history of this site there was discussion about electrifying the exoskeleton with something like taser level voltage. Not sure what a taser would do to a rat but I'm sure it would get some attention.

Or if anyone has see the movie Cube...

Perhaps Tesla could employ a whole set of tests/traps for rodents or other "vermin".

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Like the Magnavolt?

Yeah, no. That was sarcasm, by the way.

-Crissa
Back in the day there was also this:

Not that I would add any of these methods in reality. I've got kids. At times I wouldn't trust AI to distinguish between kids and vermin.

I shouldn't have to add the sarcasm disclaimer but just in case:

That was sarcasm, by the way.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Another danger of the apocalypse is possible take over of the world by world by cockroaches & mice/rats.

To be leader in apocalypse technology the Cybertruck must be prepared.

Cybertruck needs cameras underneath with IR lighting & sentry mode needs to be enhanced to track these new threats.
Need microphones to to listen for scratching, chewing & gnawing sounds.

Does current sentry mode alert for certain sounds?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Unfortunately, NO

They eat through the wire protective tube too.
They have eaten hydraulic brake lines and coolant lines!!

Rodent damage coolant line to drive axle
https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/170743/rodent-damage-coolant-line-to-drive-axle

L3CTRFY M3
Posted January 10
Has anyone had this happen to their M3, S, or X? Got the power reduced warning, so I took it to the service center, turns out a rodent chewed through the coolant line on the rear drive axle.

jlehmer_98249898
October 6
Yes, had same problem.
Just got the "low power" warning 3 days ago on my M3. Tesla service found rodent damage to the coolant hose for the battery.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/more-rodent-damage-photos.193732/page-2#post-4794847

More Rodent Damage *PHOTOS*
At over $850 each incident, this is getting ridiculous.
For the second time in a month, rodents (probably mice) have chewed through my rear ultrasonic sensor harness. This time we're wrapping the harness and connectors with some of Honda's Rodent Tape (Honda Part No: 4019-2317). I'm also spraying peppermint oil, moth balls, rodent deterrent spray, Decon blocks and raising the suspension to the highest setting when parked.
by SSonnentag, May 18, 2020
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/more-rodent-damage-photos.193732
3 years ago I was visited by rats in my house. They chewed through PVC on my fridge and dishwasher and it cost us $100K to fix. I feel your pain and your anger. I suggest that you put your energy into solving the rodent problem. We did but it was too late and we paid a big price. With a car you still have time. This is not a problem with Tesla alone; it is any car that any rodent wants to get into.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
When I was living in Arizona I knew some people who were having problems with pack rats eating the ignition wires from ICE cars, from what was being said is what the wires were made from the casing was a soy based

Xtampa

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Bus operator
Country flag
I’m curious about all these rodent problems. I live out in the rural area around Toronto and I don’t have any rodent issues. Do you guys live near a cheese factory or something or is it an American thing? Scratching my head around this one......maybe call an exterminator?

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I’m curious about all these rodent problems. I live out in the rural area around Toronto and I don’t have any rodent issues. Do you guys live near a cheese factory or something or is it an American thing? Scratching my head around this one......maybe call an exterminator?
I have a exterminator company come four times a year to refill bait boxes around and inside the house and garage.

I also had an outdoor cat that killed but didn't eat the mice. She was feral but turned out to be a great pet, definitely a lap cat, but wanted to be outside 90% of the time. I had her 11 years. Died a couple months ago, hence the mice.

I guess it could be a regional thing. I assumed mice were just about everywhere.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I live in the woods, and it's a matter of encouraging the right kinds of critters than killing them. The pack rats here don't like structures, but the roof rats do. And the neighbor above us had a colony of brown rats which when they started starving they raided our house. But we have two cats, the neighbor had two cats, there's coyotes and mountain lions and they all eat them.

The raccoons do lots of damage, but they do scare off the rats, too.

-Crissa
Sponsored