Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag

Yes, they have two months back orders (according to their web page)

-Crissa
I meant of the plaid option
Sponsored

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
That was a nice delivery event, and an awesome model refresh. Can't wait for the revised CT design reveal.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I would pay more to get ventilated seats. I’m sure it won’t be standard like in the S.
I've had ventilated seats in my last 2-3 cars and don't think i've ever used them, but the heaters..that's a different story. If i travel to a warm/hot climate i'm sure they would be appreciated.

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I've had ventilated seats in my last 2-3 cars and don't think i've ever used them, but the heaters..that's a different story. If i travel to a warm/hot climate i'm sure they would be appreciated.
I.e. California

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thats 875A at 385V!
Clearly then have to change something dramatically with voltage... right? Water jacketed charge lines? What kind of black magic are they dealing with? This deserves it's own thread :)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Clearly then have to change something dramatically with voltage... right? Water jacketed charge lines? What kind of black magic are they dealing with? This deserves it's own thread :)
This has been kicked around pretty extensively on this and other fora. Several of the manufacturers, including Tesla are using cooled charging cables (this is why the V3 SC have skinnier hoses than the previous models) but there has to be a limit somewhere. Several OEMs (e.g. Lucid) have gone to overall 800V architecture and this will probably be the future for all of them eventually. For now Tesla is pretty heavily invested in 400 V.

Rivian has a clever and relatively simple solution. The battery pack is made up of modules, of course, but there are two main chunks in parallel when the car is in operation. For charging these two are placed in series (with the car load across one of them so it can continue to operate A/C etc. during charging) and so can be charged at half the current (and a quarter of the I^2R loss) from the charger. Something like this could, of course, be done by Tesla but Rivian applied for a patent on this technique. Don't know if it was ultimately granted but if it was Tesla would have to pay Rivian licensing fees.

As for Teslas chargers: they are members of CharIn and so have known for some time which way the wind is blowing. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that the current generation of SC terminals is capable of 900 V or of easily being converted to 900 V to comply with the CharIn HPCxxx standard. IOW that the design was future proofed.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
A Youtuber just mentioned something interesting. Elon went into details about all new tech in S but never said what is new about the battery pack. Any theories?

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that the current generation of SC terminals is capable of 900 V or of easily being converted to 900 V to comply with the CharIn HPCxxx standard. IOW that the design was future proofed.
Same here.
Tesla won't be left behind, always innovating.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A Youtuber just mentioned something interesting. Elon went into details about all new tech in S but never said what is new about the battery pack. Any theories?
Well, he forgot to mention what cars were testing the 4680s back on battery day, too. So I have no idea. I haven't heard about any mega castings or structural packs in the Model S, but it could have happened.

-Crissa
Sponsored