ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
Owned the S, X, 3 and Y. When driving my CT around 30-50mph I hear a faint but distinct whining sound that seems to have a certain beat frequency change that is in tune with speed (higher speed, faster beats). It is not a constant whine that slowly goes up in frequency with speed (this is normal for electric cars) the whining beat frequency changes several times per second, faster and faster in-sink with every turn of the wheel (my theory).

The modulated whining sound is not loud at all, but I would like to eliminate the 'modulation', if possible. The noise is originating from my electric motor,(s) as if the load changes several times per second while smoothinly accelerating or regening.

The vehicle does not shake at any speed or at least I don't feel it.

Is this a motor install defect, alignment, chassis or a tire issue? Or is it a dual motor calibration thing?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Check the tires for rub marks, especially on the inside

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You'd have to provide a sample of the sound to compare to other trucks. There is a modulated sound from the motors, and the Cybertruck - especially the Cyberbeast - is louder than other Teslas.

-Crissa
I will try to record.... thx

dapiya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
pilot
Country flag
Mine does this too. I feel that it is associated with a low power setting and not a speed, though it is probably more noticeable in the range you mention when I’m not accelerating and there isn’t much noise. I don’t get it during any amount of green on the regen indication . It’s only audible for me when that power bar is slightly grey/dark grey. (Guessing at less than 10% full power indication)

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mine does this too. I feel that it is associated with a low power setting and not a speed, though it is probably more noticeable in the range you mention when I’m not accelerating and there isn’t much noise. I don’t get it during any amount of green on the regen indication . It’s only audible for me when that power bar is slightly grey/dark grey. (Guessing at less than 10% full power indication)
I posted a video file... Is your sound similar? Thanks.

dapiya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
pilot
Country flag
I posted a video file... Is your sound similar? Thanks.
Yes. Mine is the exact same. After reading your post, I noticed it a bit during early regen too. I was paying more attention to it today and it was most apparent in the early 30s just like in your video.

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you for your reply and good to know. Yes, it happens with both light acceleration or regen. I hope it is a motor(s) calibration issue, some sort of low-duty cycle feedback loop that becomes a little unstable at light loads. My VIn is ~34xx.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Thank you for your reply and good to know. Yes, it happens with both light acceleration or regen. I hope it is a motor(s) calibration issue, some sort of low-duty cycle feedback loop that becomes a little unstable at light loads. My VIn is ~34xx.
@ituner-HF we dont have your order listed in the tracker, could we get the details of your order and delivery ?

* first 5 of RN
* date you configured
* date you got your VIN
* date you took delivery

thanks for helping the group out !

Kroton

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I created an account just because of this thread. I noticed the same sound. I've got a service appointment in a couple weeks and will have that checked while I'm there.