Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
What about a specialized trailer that has a battery pack and when you plug it into the Cybertruck, it could have regen going at the same time as the cybertruck instead of trailer brakes.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
If you add extra battery you get extra regen capacity as long as the battery is connected to the main battery and subject to how the motor controller(s) are programmed.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Mirrors are archaic. Time to move on. “TV screens” will allow for significantly better low light/dark visibility, for example, and can completely eliminate the blind spot (though I admit that properly adjusted mirrors also eliminate the blind spot, no one seems to know how to adjust mirrors properly any more.)

I doubt the equally archaic US Government will change its rules in time for the Cybertruck, however, so you’ll probably get your wish for real mirrors.
Ever since I got my first backup camera I have noticed much better clarify and light on them than the mirrors, and my wife’s M3 backup beats any of mine hands down, and so did her last one before that. So the backup cameras and monitors keep getting better and the mirror remain, well, mirrors. That said, when the camera fails, the mirror is still there (unless you hit a pole and already knocked it off).

Trucker4220

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti G37, Subaru Outback, Cybertruck Tri Motor (on order)
Occupation
RN Healthcare Manager
Country flag
Any word on towing mirrors so you can see down the sides of your trailer and integrate the rear camera from the trailer? I saw a YouTube video where TFL Trucks had strapped additional mirrors onto the side-view mirrors for a model 3 to extend the view. Not a very elegant solution and SO not Tesla.

Curacars

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 626
Country flag
Mirrors are archaic. Time to move on. “TV screens” will allow for significantly better low light/dark visibility, for example, and can completely eliminate the blind spot (though I admit that properly adjusted mirrors also eliminate the blind spot, no one seems to know how to adjust mirrors properly any more.)

I doubt the equally archaic US Government will change its rules in time for the Cybertruck, however, so you’ll probably get your wish for real mirrors.
You can always buy some stick-on mirrors when you have to send it for inspection and remove them when done/approved, lol

BigDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y LR, Cyber Truck to come
Country flag
Do they have cameras yet that can see the blind spot when towing 7 tons behind a vehicle? I was thinking today about a light bar with cameras that telescope out. Super Duty trucks have telescoping mirrors to see the rear corner of the load. Archaic mirrors.
Actually, mirrors provide depth perception which is critical. Screens can't do that. Hence the lines on the screen and sonar sensors found with them.

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag

I know mirrors are not new generation, but have you reversed a car with rear view cameras in the rain? In all my cars with rear view cameras, (the screens) are practically useless to reverse park during/ immediately after a rain storm. The screen will show basically a collage of rounded shapes or forms without any determination of parking space or distance feasible. I usually end up using my side and center mirrors anyway. Now, during a sunny day or after a car wash, its a different story, the screens work awesome and I love that feature, but the fact that I cannot rely on that system during all seasons is a bummer for me. I know some luxury cars such as Mercedes have retractable cameras which solve the problem to some extent, but not completely though. Not sure how that can be implemented in a side camera since by definition it cannot be hidden while on the road.

Last edited:

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Actually, mirrors provide depth perception which is critical. Screens can't do that. Hence the lines on the screen and sonar sensors found with them.
Another thing I found is that for many people who use bifocal glasses watching a screen near the top of the visual field can be problematic (the near view lens are typically at the bottom of glasses). The regular mirrors are not a problem since your eyes need not focus on the mirrors itself, but on the image inside which will be farther away. But having a digital screen will create an issue whereby your eyes have to fully focus on the screen (ie, within the distance from eye to screen, and not beyond as in a mirror). I hope I am making sense at least to someone.

frankenbeans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek, Cybertruck on order
Country flag
It is shaped that way because it has to be (the triangular shape isn't going away) because it is the frame, the body is the structure.

I wonder how the look will change. The original look grew on me. I hope they keep the straight line down the back for aerodynamics. Just realized, you wouldn’t want to introduce angles there for the tonneau cover.

moonrover

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
It is shaped that way because it has to be (the triangular shape isn't going away) because it is the frame, the body is the structure.
That’s right, good point. Definitely want to keep that structural support.

PATEL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Country flag
If Musk delivers on all these towing software features, it will really upend the pickup market. At least for short range towing. Long range will still be hard to beat ICE pickups on, for now.

Saxapahaw

First Name
Cecelia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Insights
Occupation
environmental educator
Country flag
But..we don't need biodiesel anymore...wait, was there any other reason for fries?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I know mirrors are not new generation, but have you reversed a car with rear view cameras in the rain? In all my cars with rear view cameras, (the screens) are practically useless to reverse park during/ immediately after a rain storm. The screen will show basically a collage of rounded shapes or forms without any determination of parking space or distance feasible. I usually end up using my side and center mirrors anyway. Now, during a sunny day or after a car wash, its a different story, the screens work awesome and I love that feature, but the fact that I cannot rely on that system during all seasons is a bummer for me. I know some luxury cars such as Mercedes have retractable cameras which solve the problem to some extent, but not completely though. Not sure how that can be implemented in a side camera since by definition it cannot be hidden while on the road.
Interesting and true comment, but the exact same thing happens on every single ‘real’ mirror. The difference is that it takes a fraction of a moment, and the tip of a finger to solve the problem with a backup camera, but it takes a hand that gets wet, or a towel, to do a half assed job on just one side of a car with side mirrors (granted the rear view mirror is fine, but the rear-view window is then all messed up). I am not saying that these cameras are better, only that that example isn’t going to win any arguments.
Sponsored