My 2022 Cybertruck MSRP predictions. Are you sitting down?

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Another example of Tesla increasing base prices because of demand, raw materials or inflation.

The Dual Motor Model Y had a $2k price increases overnight. In February it was $48,990. The new MSRP is now $56,990. That’s an $8k price increase in only 8-months.
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
With Chinese competition coming to U.S. CT will likely drop price not increase it. Just look at the performance on this baby. Kidding aside Shipping alone should cost more than this. How the heck is this possible:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
With Chinese competition coming to U.S. CT will likely drop price not increase it. Just look at the performance on this baby. Kidding aside Shipping alone should cost more than this. How the heck is this possible:

Those are called Power Wheels.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

These trucks are not licensable though right? Nice cheap price but of limited use if it cannot be licensed.

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
my opinion… Pricing for dual and triple are delivered as advertised. No speculations for what is standard or optional. Tesla plans to make money on options. The fact the price has been taken off the web page answers any questions for me. Those who reserved with posted prices are locked in, now that there is no price posted, expect changes to future reservations.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
It’s all speculation at this point. We will simply have to wait until the CT page returns on the interweb.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
These trucks are not licensable though right? Nice cheap price but of limited use if it cannot be licensed.
Neighborhood Electric Vehicles can be licensed in much of the US, but they're stuck to secondary roads with speed limits they can manage.

It would get me to the lumber yard and back.

-Crissa

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I think you are right only because the EV credit is likely to come out. I think the unions are controlling the release/signing of the bill that will release the EV credit so that it is tied to one of their major vehicles like the lightning. Watch the lightning will come out 1 week before the EV credit is available. Tesla is preparing for something around a $8k EV credit. So your guess of $57+/- is probably close and then they can say look it’s still ends up around where we said it would. Also I think they will play major games with the add on options. You better believe everything will be an option on this. Hitch tonneau cover, winch, running boards etc. I bet we will see some off-road performance software upgrades too. Remember Texas is one of their biggest factories. I think the previous option limitations were not because they didn’t want to up sell. I think it’s because they didn’t have room to deal with tedious options customization. Texas will give them room to do that.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag

Major exploitation of human labor and the environment and very relaxed government regulatory oversight and inspection. Plus decades of unfair government subsidization to drive down prices to beat competitive markets. Plus our dumb willingness to sacrifice our national sovereignty to get the things we want cheaper. I could go on but I hear my soap box creaking.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Also that price would increase a couple hundred percent today. Shipping containers are costing about $20k today

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I'm a CT reservation holder because a dual motor at 50K is such a great value. If the price goes up significantly and becomes similar to similarly optioned F-150 (or Silverado if it is in production in the next few years) I will re-evaluate my decision. Unlike many on this website, I'm not convinced the CT is going to be that much better than the other EV trucks out there. The CT being able to seat 6 is a big factor for me as well. I think CT will win on efficiency and range, but not by as much as many think. Keep in mind that most other EV makers' cars come closer or exceed their EPA ratings in the real world as compared to Tesla. Efficiency is often overlooked, better efficiency equals quicker recharge at the same Kw and cheaper operating cost - I expect CT will quite a bit more efficient. I prefer the look of the F-150 and Rivian over CT, but that could change when I see them in person.

Some real world range tables - https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791/ev-range-test-results/; https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html#infographic

I am a buyer of value and not locked into a particular vehicle. I think that they are going to largely honor the MSRP for reservations holders (prior to the website change), but wouldn't bet any money on that. It will also be interesting to see how they handle options for the CT. During the earlier MS, there were quite a few options available and Tesla moved away from that. Curious to see if they move back to that with CT. Life isn't bad when these are the decisions I'm facing....
It will certainly be interesting to see how they handle options. I do think they have been so focused on qty that they needed to cut back options and the demand didn’t care so they could do it. I think Texas is so big that they can offer more options and not slow down production. Some areas in that building are 4 levels and from what I understand they have parts following the assembly line on multiple floors to all speed up the process. That’s pretty wild. I could easily see the assembly line breaking off into different areas to focus on the add options.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Major exploitation of human labor and the environment and very relaxed government regulatory oversight and inspection. Plus decades of unfair government subsidization to drive down prices to beat competitive markets. Plus our dumb willingness to sacrifice our national sovereignty to get the things we want cheaper. I could go on but I hear my soap box creaking.
I don’t think much of that has changed over there. But it is not all them being evil. Aside from Tesla factories, as a society, we are mighty inefficient; We still reward the unproductive folks and behaviors that contribute the least, the most ( which incidentally makes this country a great place to live if you are one of them). The question is when that Chinese CT come out $20K less than ours, do we slap it with a Tariff to keep it out, lower profit margins to stay competitive or chose to pay more for the home grown CT. Would you pay $20K more for a local CT if the quality and specs were the same?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Keep in mind that Tesla has increased the base price of a Model Y $6k since February of this year. I feel that my MSRP estimates are on the conservative side.
I broke down and ordered a Model Y earlier this month. They increased the price $2K a couple days ago but my pricing says the same as when I made the reservation.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
As the OP I hope I am 100% wrong and that Tesla will honor the original $50k and $70k advertised pricing. I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

The reason behind my thinking is that the world has changed since the Cybertruck was revealed in November 2019. It was during pre-pandemic times and inflation and supply chain issues around the world were not an issue.
But Tesla also negotiated their contracts back then, or before, as well. Maybe one of the reasons they are holding off on CT production until a year from now is to mitigate some of the supply chain issues.
Sponsored