CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I ordered on Dec 19, got VIN early March, took delivery in Las Vegas March 20. I've been daily driving and have about 400 miles so far, including some off roading near Sand Hollow Utah. For context, this is my first Tesla, and my other cars are a Ram 1500 and a Ford Bronco.

Things I love:
  • Steering - After getting used to how tight it turns at low speeds, one handed driving (I rest my left hand on top right of squircle) feels effortless. Driving in general is great, feels smooth and plenty of power.
  • Off Road Mode - creeped over tough obstacles, having 1-2 wheels off ground at different times and it manuevered extremely well and was easy to control power at very slow speed. Also, the front video was awesome as I'd go over crests or navigate rocks. (video attached)
  • Light Show - The Arrival light show blows people's minds about what a vehicle can be. I've downloaded xLights and beginning work on custom one - I'll post here when done.
  • Movies - watched a movie in pitch black garage at night, and with the accent lights and reflections on glass windows/roof, it feels like you're in a spaceship - plus the audio is amazing.

Things bugging me:
  • One of my bed lights doesn't work, just doesn't ever light up when the other one does. Plan to service at some point.
  • Dust gets in the bed with tonneau closed off road. Will have to look into gaskets.
  • My two biggest things by far:
    • Front motor makes a higher pitched whining sound, constantly engaging and disengaging (at variable lengths of time) when coasting around the same speed. It's not super loud, but once I point it out to someone, they can't unhear it. Anyone else have that?
    • Every 1-2 minutes there's a hum sound that engages for 1-2 seconds in the front of the truck. Can hear it outside and inside easily. I'm pretty sure it didn't do it the first few days, and now it's every drive. Anyone else have that (video with sound attached - although it doesn't come through great on my phone)? Does it even while just sitting parked. Perhaps something with AC compressor, or computer trying to do something with air suspension?

Overall, this thing is an amazing feat of engineering and blows my mind every time I drive it. People go nuts about it, and it's especially fun to see kids get so excited when they see it. Very happy so far.

Here's a video of going up a sandy hill. It was making it ok, but at the same point twice in a row, it just stopped putting power to any of the wheels. I could imagine it detected all 4 wheels spinning in sand and cuts power to prevent getting dug in, but it felt like it was going to make it before it gave up.

Here's a video of general off roading with some of my thoughts narrated.

Partial Light Show.

Here's the hum sound - have to turn sound way up. I caught the last second of it, so it's the sound from the start and fades out over the video.

Do you have a cyberbeast? The motors are noisy on the cybertruck especially the beast. I love the sound. I think Tesla did it deliberately. But in addition to the normal whine I've noticed with most cybertrucks that there is this hmm sound while accelerating especially at higher speeds like 60-70 mph especially which gets a bit annoying to listen to in some reviews. I don't know what is causing that but maybe when they tried to make it louder they forgot to mask that "hmm" sound. That is the sound which gets more prevalent in youtube channel JerryRigEverythings towing video due to towing. But in youtube channel DBLCAPCRIMPINs cybertruck while towing you only hear the normal whine. Maybe they'll add a little more sound deadening so you only hear the whine in future production cybertrucks. Then it'll be sounding just perfect again for me. But its nowhere as noisy as an ICE car. I also found out from Brandon youtube channel Tesla Flex that they get louder at higher speeds due to the front permanent magnet motor doing the driving. If it was almost dead silent like the other teslas I'd be complaining for sure though. Maybe do a video of the front motor whine sound.
Sponsored

NavCali

First Name
Navid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
Great post, thank you!

I'm surprised nobody else commented on the quality of your videos. What are you using?

OP
OP
SGAstros

SGAstros

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, GR86, Bronco
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Do you have a cyberbeast? The motors are noisy on the cybertruck especially the beast. I love the sound. I think Tesla did it deliberately. But in addition to the normal whine I've noticed with most cybertrucks that there is this hmm sound while accelerating especially at higher speeds like 60-70 mph especially which gets a bit annoying to listen to in some reviews. I don't know what is causing that but maybe when they tried to make it louder they forgot to mask that "hmm" sound. That is the sound which gets more prevalent in youtube channel JerryRigEverythings towing video due to towing. But in youtube channel DBLCAPCRIMPINs cybertruck while towing you only hear the normal whine. Maybe they'll add a little more sound deadening so you only hear the whine in future production cybertrucks. Then it'll be sounding just perfect again for me. But its nowhere as noisy as an ICE car. I also found out from Brandon youtube channel Tesla Flex that they get louder at higher speeds due to the front permanent magnet motor doing the driving. If it was almost dead silent like the other teslas I'd be complaining for sure though. Maybe do a video of the front motor whine sound.
Mine is the dual motor. I'll try to capture the sound the front motor is making for me while driving sometime. The hum sound that goes up and down as you go faster/slower is fine to me, but there's an additional high pitched whining sound that is constantly engaging and disengaging that gets a little annoying once I'm listening for it.

CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Mine is the dual motor. I'll try to capture the sound the front motor is making for me while driving sometime. The hum sound that goes up and down as you go faster/slower is fine to me, but there's an additional high pitched whining sound that is constantly engaging and disengaging that gets a little annoying once I'm listening for it.
Oh for me all of the normal motor noise was fine but the hum sound is kind of annoying and it gets worse while towing and JerryRigEverything mentioned that it sounds different from other evs. I think I know what you 're talking about, and the high pitched whining sound is in other teslas like my model 3.

CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Here is a recording, thanks!

Actually someone put this video in another thread and I think it is the high pitched sound you are talking about.
Sponsored