Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Your story re-affirmed my decision then to buy a 4runner instead of Ford Explorer which was my first choice.

It's good a rented one for a business trip. I got a new one but in it's first few miles, screws keeps on dropping on my lap.

I have a reservation for F150 Lightning too and been member of their forum and waiting to read good reviews as a trailer puller. Told my dealer to put me a the end of the queue meanwhile should my number gets called.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
Seems like the vitriol here is reserved for the dealers, not the truck.

-Crissa
Your story re-affirmed my decision then to buy a 4runner instead of Ford Explorer which was my first choice.

It's good a rented one for a business trip. I got a new one but in it's first few miles, screws keeps on dropping on my lap.

I have a reservation for F150 Lightning too and been member of their forum and waiting to read good reviews as a trailer puller. Told my dealer to put me a the end of the queue meanwhile should my number gets called.
There are good dealers and bad dealers for every brand. Subaru buyers are zealots for the brand, so my friend ordered his from a New Jersey dealer and had it shipped to Florida specifically because he hated the local dealer.

I prefer a Ford dealer in NJ for the same reason. I go there for service, but because of the way allocations are distributed, if I selected him as my dealer when reserving my Lightning, he couldn't fill that order for 2 years just because he's only got a tiny allocation and they're spoken for for 22 and 23.

Thankfully, manufacturers are starting to reduce or eliminate their roles.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Save politicians in mid-West and down South beholden to dealers, people are warming up to no-dealer concept.

Ford can only do away with them if it can buy them out. I doubt though if Ford has that kind of money.

Am a Ford stockholder and unhappy with their slippage in production target (not exclusive to Ford) and their price point. Ford announced to being short 40,000 units in targeted production and passing on higher cost to us to the tune of $5,000 per vehicle.

Again, dealers are making hay on their low or zero inventory of new ICE and take-it-or-leave-it on the only available trim and price of EV units.

Consumers have a way of getting even specially in this competitive market.

Congratulations in your wonderful trip and experience with Ford corporate/production floor. We future Cybertruck owners can just dream and hope of that for now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
Ford can only do away with them if it can buy them out. I doubt though if Ford has that kind of money.

Am a Ford stockholder and unhappy with their slippage in production target (not exclusive to Ford) and their price point. Again, dealers are making hay on their low or zero inventory of new units.
Some states will continue to protect the dealer model. In NJ, Tesla was forced to stop taking orders from their showrooms in malls, so they created a "Dealership" in northern NJ that is technically responsible for taking all the orders in the state. Tesla owns the dealership, so the whole thing is silly.

Other than state regulations, manufacturers have a few aces up their sleeves to make the shift.

Just as Ford Dealers couldn't sell Lincoln or Mercury Brands and vice versa, they can simply create a new brand that existing dealerships didn't have a contract to sell. It may sound extreme, but it's technically what they're doing with their new Ford Blue and Model-E initiatives. Technically they are both new businesses with new brands.

They don't need to buy out dealers to do this, in fact, they're asking dealers who want to sell EVs to pay Ford for the license to sell them.

I have a standing order to buy both Ford and Tesla stock each day too. In my opinion, both companies are investing in the right technology and I hope will be around a long time.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
My beef is the random gouging me for repairs and monopoly areas.

-Crissa
With parts and service accounting for 50% of a dealerships profits you would think the dealers would try a do their best to keep the customers happy. Some dealerships may do this but unfortunately there is willful fraud and deception at car dealerships. Even under warranty dealerships will do unnecessary repairs as the OEM's ability to audit this is limited but there is at least some level of accountability.

Once the vehicle is off warranty, it opens the gates to overcharging for needed repairs and even more unnecessary work being done. It has evolved into a racket and that is yet another reason there are 2 Tesla's in my garage. We haven't needed any service and all "recalls" were handled by OTA software updates. They are the best and most economical vehicles I have ever owned and I completely get why the demand for them is so great.

I realize that Tesla has some service related issues and I believe they are working hard to resolve these as Musk himself has set excellent customer service as an important goal for Tesla. Car dealerships are simply middlemen and they have to find ways to get you to need service and they take maximum advantage of you, the customer when you do. Making up 50% of their profits, service is the only thing keeping them in business and they can and do abuse their role as sole support for under warranty vehicles. Unfortunately, most independent auto repair shops are owned and staffed by ex-dealership employees who already understand the game.

I will never buy another new car from an independent car dealer ... ever!
Sponsored