John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Supposedly Tesla is moving to a lithium ion 12v battery that is supposedly much more reliable as from what I read the 12v battery is the weakest link in a Tesla. Many say to replace your lead acid one with a lithium ion one at 3-5years, as the lead acid ones are not ideal for electric cars compared to ICE ones.

So…don’t store valuables in the frunk.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Yeah, “all input is error” strikes again.

It is something that comes with Tesla ownership now. If you need hand holding there are others who you can call. You can even buy a new car from others waiting to provide that hand held experience.

Tesla just isn’t in the business of warm, cuddly. It’s robot all the way down top to bottom. Maybe Optimus will be its missing warm and cuddly forte in Tesla’s customer facing future.

It can’t come soon enough…
I actually like the Tesla style, no-nonsense, no handholding experience. It always creeps me out in a very bad way when an ICE dealership starts acting like they are my best friend and want to kiss my ass. Because it's rarely ever sincere. I just want my car fixed in a no-nonsense manner without a lot of BS.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What is funny about Consumer Reports is the contrast between Tesla reliability rating and Tesla satisfaction rating. Low reliability but really high owner satisfaction.
That's because Tesla owners have been brainwashed to inspect their car for the smallest of defects at delivery and to make Tesla fix them. While there is nothing wrong with haaving Tesla fix a really minor flaw, it does count the same as if you blew up the transmission on day one of ICE ownership.

IMO, minor cosmetic flaws should not be counted as reliability problems like consumer reports does. I was at the Tesla Service Center waiting for new updated FSD computer and started talking to a new owner about his new Model Y. He said he was there for an appointment to fix a "pinhole" in the paint on the hood. I looked at the hood in full sun and could not see the smallest flaw. He used his index finger to point right where to look and I still couldn't see it. He said "It's really small, get real close" so I got about 10 inches away and could barely make out the smallest little crater, smaller than regular grain of beach sand, about 1/8 that size actually. It was like a miniscule pin-prick in the clear coat. I couldn't believe he brought it back for that, but whatever. Consumer Reports will mark that as one point off reliability. There is no way a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry buyer would ever bother.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
That's because Tesla owners have been brainwashed to inspect their car for the smallest of defects at delivery and to make Tesla fix them. While there is nothing wrong with haaving Tesla fix a really minor flaw, it does count the same as if you blew up the transmission on day one of ICE ownership.

IMO, minor cosmetic flaws should not be counted as reliability problems like consumer reports does. I was at the Tesla Service Center waiting for new updated FSD computer and started talking to a new owner about his new Model Y. He said he was there for an appointment to fix a "pinhole" in the paint on the hood. I looked at the hood in full sun and could not see the smallest flaw. He used his index finger to point right where to look and I still couldn't see it. He said "It's really small, get real close" so I got about 10 inches away and could barely make out the smallest little crater, smaller than regular grain of beach sand, about 1/8 that size actually. It was like a miniscule pin-prick in the clear coat. I couldn't believe he brought it back for that, but whatever. Consumer Reports will mark that as one point off reliability. There is no way a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry buyer would ever bother.
Kind of like the recalls are counted even though they are software updates. Yes it makes sense now. CR is counting nonsense.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This is the concern. No warning then you're stranded. Tesla does not have an overall good reliability rating from Consumer Reports nor JD Power. I'm sure there are outliers but rankings of 27 out of 28 and 30 out of 33 respectively from two reputable companies isn't good. This won't do.
Yes, but they counted paint swirls and panel gaps (which they didn't for other cars they compared)

....There is no way a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry buyer would ever bother.
Exactly.

-Crissa

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
A lot of reliability reports will also include consumer confusion with tech as a "problem" as well. BMW was notorious for having difficult-to-learn iDrive nav, etc. If an owner said it was an issue, it was marked as reported problem. It's not that the product didn't work as intended, it was just that it was poorly designed or the owner wasn't tech savvy. I don't view that as quality or reliability.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
What is funny about Consumer Reports is the contrast between Tesla reliability rating and Tesla satisfaction rating. Low reliability but really high owner satisfaction.
I read somewhere that Tesla owners were 2nd only to Amazon in terms of loyalty.
That's not always a good thing.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Seems to be some push back here saying Consumer Reports is unfair to Tesla.

Any pushback against JD Power coming to the same reliability conclusion?

Are there any other widely known reliability raters out there that objectively show Tesla is significantly better then the what CR and JD power are saying?

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
This is the concern. No warning then you're stranded. Tesla does not have an overall good reliability rating from Consumer Reports nor JD Power. I'm sure there are outliers but rankings of 27 out of 28 and 30 out of 33 respectively from two reputable companies isn't good. This won't do.
JD powers and Consumer reports are reputable? I used to think so, until I realized their revenue sources are not "independent" from their subject matter. They both show preference to their donors, just watch the advertisements and realize it is the same manufacturers getting the "best of..." recognitions. I know that my opinion is based in anecdotal evidence (my experience) but my overall reliability rating for Tesla is far higher than the other manufacturers. I can attest to Tesla's repair service disconnect though. A walmart assistant pushed the trunk closed on our Model 3 and bent the shaft on the drive servo. I would call it a design flaw, but it still closed despite the trunk misalignment. We explained the issue and even sent pictures of the issue. The service center (3 hours away) took all day to do a repair I could have done in my driveway. My wife still bought the part personally and had it sent to the service center for pickup. I am not satisfied with my one communication malfunction. But, I am not surprised as it is typical every time I was required to bring one of my vehicles to a repair center (Ford, Dodge, Tesla, Chevy, VW, Subaru, Honda, Nissan). Overall, I am impressed with Tesla's reliability, maintenance, and product.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

Are there any other widely known reliability raters out there that objectively show Tesla is significantly better then the what CR and JD power are saying?
That's the problem with comparisons. They don't compare the same type of owner. Tesla has lots of owners that are fanatics and spend tons on wrapping and ceramic coatings etc. This is a very different owner than someone who buys a Honda and CR surveys don't capture that. I think what you are asking is how many times will a Tesla leave someone stranded and is that more frequent than another brand. I wish I knew that too.... I do have neighbors etc that own Teslas and they all seem to love them lots so they can't beall that bad, most people lose the love when a pos ruins the day.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag

They’re not unfair. Just their criteria aren’t nice to heavy tech cars. A new Lexus will get dinged for tech, but an old crown Vic will score high because its systems are easy to use.

PK3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I think this is maybe the only redeeming quality of the dealership. Dealerships get cars from the manufacturers, I am sure plenty of them come in with minor issues, but the dealership checks them all out and preps them for display on the lot, it makes sure they are look good as no one going to look for a car on the lot wants to see those minor imperfections. They need to sell the car so they need it to be perfect. Tesla's direct sales the service centers are just a means of customer picking up there car its not the same interaction so minor cosmetic things are less likely to be caught. The incentive structure is not the same, the reps are not making commissions on the sale, once a salesman at the dealership loses a sale over a minor thing it won't happen again.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I read somewhere that Tesla owners were 2nd only to Amazon in terms of loyalty.
That's not always a good thing.

Customer loyalty is the measure of how likely a brand is to get a repeat sale to the same customer. And, yes, it's always a good thing from a business perspective. I suppose one could argue Tesla has too high of customer loyalty because their wait times have climbed to over 6 months in many cases even though they make a lot more cars each year and don't spend money on advertising.

This is how we know Tesla's are some of the least likely cars to leave you stranded. Because people don't like to feel helpless and they will lose that loyalty really fast if they think their car might strand them. Tesla consistently scores at the very top in terms of customer satisfaction. It's not even close.

In the end, that's what matters. Are your customers having such a good experience that they keep coming back? If the answer is "Yes!", you are doing a lot of things right.

Last edited:

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
That's the problem with comparisons. They don't compare the same type of owner. Tesla has lots of owners that are fanatics and spend tons on wrapping and ceramic coatings etc. This is a very different owner than someone who buys a Honda and CR surveys don't capture that. I think what you are asking is how many times will a Tesla leave someone stranded and is that more frequent than another brand. I wish I knew that too.... I do have neighbors etc that own Teslas and they all seem to love them lots so they can't beall that bad, most people lose the love when a pos ruins the day.
We drive our standard range model 3 to the Portland area often. we have the range to get across the mountains to Pendleton, then to the Dalles, then to the Vancouver Mall, even in the winter. It does take us longer than a trip in our Fusion, but it is entirely more relaxing to take the Tesla. Yes, the winter range sucks and we have rolled into the superchargers on 3 miles. But, the costs, the reliability, and the comfort are game changers with the Model 3. I don't wrap or buy fancy trinkets to glamor my cars. I'm not a fan boy. Prove you deserve my loyalty, give me evidence of benefits, or I have no time for you. So far, Tesla has my loyalty.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Agree

Others, such as Merc IQ, do the plush interior and wide screens, but it's all surface treatment. Version 1.9994493

The word is spreading.

Tesla is compelling.
Sponsored