Needed Trade-In info “by the end of the day”; what does that indicate?

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
awaiting Foundation AWD CyberTruck; Volvo XC90
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I ordered (configured) my Foundation Series AWD on April 27th. I subsequently dutifully filled out the documents in the app. We have a car we’re trading in. So I mentioned it through the app. I subsequently (within maybe 3 days?) received an email and a text asking me to send pictures, etc. It was late in the day and I couldn’t immediately take the pictures that afternoon, so waited until the next morning.

While taking the pictures the next morning, I got a text from Tesla again that said check my email. They had sent an email saying they were waiting on the pictures. But it also said please send it by the end of the day so they could prepare a final offer, which I did. We subsequently accepted their offer (even though it wasn’t great).

So I have a couple of questions. I thought I read in another thread that they usually assign a VIN before giving you an offer? I guess that must not be right because I haven’t received a VIN? And does the fact they wanted it by the end of that day mean anything significant with regard to VIN or a delivery date? They seemed rushed to me.

Kevin
Sponsored

Makeodds101

First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fj Cruiser
Country flag
[/QUOTE
I ordered (configured) my Foundation Series AWD on April 27th. I subsequently dutifully filled out the documents in the app. We have a car we’re trading in. So I mentioned it through the app. I subsequently (within maybe 3 days?) received an email and a text asking me to send pictures, etc. It was late in the day and I couldn’t immediately take the pictures that afternoon, so waited until the next morning.

While taking the pictures the next morning, I got a text from Tesla again that said check my email. They had sent an email saying they were waiting on the pictures. But it also said please send it by the end of the day so they could prepare a final offer, which I did. We subsequently accepted their offer (even though it wasn’t great).

So I have a couple of questions. I thought I read in another thread that they usually assign a VIN before giving you an offer? I guess that must not be right because I haven’t received a VIN? And does the fact they wanted it by the end of that day mean anything significant with regard to VIN or a delivery date? They seemed rushed to me.

Kevin
I didn’t realize the trade in stuff but the rep who did it contacted me and held my trade in info until after I was assigned a VIN. His words were, I’ll hold it until you get a VIN because they’re only good for 30 days. Maybe some employees are just nicer.

OP
OP

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So it does sound odd to have a sense of “hurry up and get it done” by the end of the day without having a VIN assigned; or perhaps close to assignment? But I just ordered April 27th.

OP
OP

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am able to message them from the app. So I left them one asking about expected VIN assignment. Not sure how responsive they are, but from everything I’ve read so far, I don’t have high hopes of a quick response.

Makeodds101

First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fj Cruiser
Country flag
They’ll probably tell you that you’ll get notified on the app when you have a VIN.

OP
OP

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Kinda what I figure too, assuming they answer.

EmJay

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT FS (Ordered March 7), 2024 MX
Country flag
Traded in 3 cars with Tesla over the years with most recently being this past week. They’ve always waited to provide an offer after VIN was assigned. However, they have reached out when needing more info-like better photos. The offer expires in 30 days (my app shows an expiration of May 29).

I’ll hope this means you’re gonna have a VIN and delivery ASAP but it’s more likely someone wasn’t paying attention to your situation. Good luck!!!

OP
OP

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks! I hope so too, but won’t hold my breath waiting, lol.

You have an offer that expires May 29th? So you’ve been assigned a VIN? Our offer expires June 2nd, but like I said, no VIN.

OP
OP

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just noticed this in the Tesla app under vehicle details. I don’t recall seeing a spot for a VIN before. May have been there and I missed it, but don’t remember seeing it. Everybody else have this? It’s not on the website itself.
Tesla Cybertruck Needed Trade-In info “by the end of the day”; what does that indicate? IMG_0264

Cybertruck2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
I think the best thing to do is not put any details beyond the registrants names in the first section, before a VIN is assigned. Make sure you're ready to complete the other tasks in a few days after you get your VIN, but don't even start clicking them yet. Once you half fill something, a rep from Tesla will start to ride you, even if the half filled thing isn't time sensitive.

OP
OP

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
it said at the beginning it needed me to fill out the forms. So I filled out the forms that were available on the app. I thought it needed them before assigning me a VIN. Do most people wait until after a VIN is assigned before clicking the trade-in button?

Though I could see why they’d want to complete any open task they’re assigned. But I would think they’d (the experienced folks) have to know they’re creating more work for themselves down the road by getting an offer out too early. But it’s my first time buying a Tesla so I admit I know nothing about what really happens, lol.

Cybertruck2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
They say fill out the forms right away. Do not do that. It is unfortunately bad advice.

For example, my financing is 1% lower than it would've been if I filled out right away. Also my initial financing likely would've expired, requiring another hit on my credit report.

Trade in is good for 30 days or 1,000 miles. That would've expired too.

OP
OP

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Cash + trade buyer here. But the trade part would definitely be impactful. Interesting. Thanks.

EmJay

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT FS (Ordered March 7), 2024 MX
Country flag
Just noticed this in the Tesla app under vehicle details. I don’t recall seeing a spot for a VIN before. May have been there and I missed it, but don’t remember seeing it. Everybody else have this? It’s not on the website itself.
IMG_0264.jpeg
Hey, yeah that’s always there. Sitting there. Taunting you. Reminding you that you don’t have a VIN

I’ve had a VIN for 7 days and was told on the phone to expect delivery on the 9th. If not for this forum and the amazing VIN tracker site, I would have no idea how long to expect for anything.
Sponsored