David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck New steering wheel hint? 1605549035676

Possible hint a new steering wheel?

Was looking at article for Model S update and saw this new wheel concept.
https://electrek.co/2020/11/15/tesla-model-s-refresh-renders-new-roadster-dope-nope/

Personally wouldn't mind a few controls in the middle of the wheel.
Not a bad spot for a speedometer either?
Thoughts?

Turns out this is just fan render, but I suppose good for discussion purposes, we already know they've patented this sort of wheel, actual config remains to be seen, hopefully we see something in December.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
F1 drivers have most of the controls on the wheel, appart from the safe airbag integration there is no reason this cannot be implemented in regular cars

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
F1 drivers have most of the controls on the wheel, appart from the safe airbag integration there is no reason this cannot be implemented in regular cars
And perhaps this kind of solution would be an acceptable compromise for the HUD crowd.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Yes, that crowd might like having controls at hand, as well as data.
I’m am not thinking of an “us” v.s. “Them” with regards to asking about features other vehicles are getting (or have already). I like having steering wheel controls, I have had them on Mini, BMW, Volvo, Mercedes, Subaru and Toyota.
A touch screen though, would again force me to look away from the road, even for a second, whereas the controls they have now (as well as many other manufacturers) are great!

The only steering wheel display I have seen that I like was a digital display as a strip or a banner along the top edge (facing the driver) that displayed speed, tachometer, etc. I don’t even recall where I saw it, but it seemed like a nice addition.

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
The much closer screen would have a much different focal length, making the switch from the road to the screen on the steering wheel much harder.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
The much closer screen would have a much different focal length, making the switch from the road to the screen on the steering wheel much harder.
That’s a good point. Of course, that also argues for something like the HUD, which - at least in theory- keeps your focus out over the road (or at least the hood).

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I've tried to stay open minded about the center console only display (no speedometer behind the steering wheel). I know many with the M3 don't see this as an issue, but I just can't get on board with this. I know my actual speed isn't a real issue when I'm driving in the city, as I rarely look at it anyway and I just go with the flow of traffic, but for long trips, I want a readily viewable speedometer. Anyone who has traveled cross country knows cruise control isn't always convenient (construction zones, 1 lane hwys, etc.).

Also...wrt the OP image, where is the airbag deploying from? Nothing like a face full of shrapnel before impact!

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
That’s a good point. Of course, that also argues for something like the HUD, which - at least in theory- keeps your focus out over the road (or at least the hood).
From what others have posted about HUD being studied, they said it actually takes longer to refocus on it... but I do not have any support for that myself.

Deke

First Name
Bernard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck order
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would still like to have an additional screen behind the steering wheel like the M6. Would pay extra for that option

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a Chevy Bolt, which has a camera monitor in The rear view. You can use it as a camera, or a mirror. I prefer the mirror because of presbyopia. It doesn’t require my eyes to refocus. The camera is still useful if the line of sight is blocked though.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
I've tried to stay open minded about the center console only display (no speedometer behind the steering wheel).
It really isn't that bad. Once you have any vehicle with a center console vs driver side console (there are a few of them out there), it really becomes a non issue really fast. Yes, I've taken many trips with these center console vehicles, not just my M3. And yes, it definitely becomes a non-issue real fast.

I'm amazed by how many people are scared/concerned of having a center console vs driver's console. When I drove a Saturn Ion for years, almost everyone who needed to borrow the car thought it would be a terrible problem until they tried it themselves for a few days.

Just like anything, change requires adaptability, and change is the only constant. I can imagine many will also have a problem with getting into two passenger seats in the front when there's no wheel or pedals in the not-so-distant future! After some time, they will wonder why they ever worried. Same thing with center consoles, you just need to try it for a bit and you'll realize it wasn't a problem (even in odd traffic situations which Tesla's are amazing at anyway).