Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Just 2 more cents... many people add 'towing mirrors' to tow large trailers. Nothing says you HAVE to use cameras. :)

Fretting madly here. When will I get my hands on it?
Sponsored

moonrover

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Regardless of mirror or camera, I hope blind spot visibility over my shoulder is good.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Well, looks like you can reach out the window and clean the camera as well.
If you can reach it all the way on the fender up there. I am just reminded of the bad experience here in MN with backup-cams. They are always dirty in the winter due to the spray that accumulates on the back of the car. I have heard Tesla side cams get covered here as well. Sure, you can wipe it off with your finger in a second, but you don't realize its dirty until you get in and are already driving. So its useless until your next stop where you forget again...

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Imagine if there was a thing called a wide angle lens that would extend the field of view?
Not the same. No wide angle can see around a trailer that is wider than the position of the camera. Tow a max width trailer or boat sometime and you will see why its important.

Shumby

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (ordered), Nissan GTR, Nissan 370Z nismo, Infiniti FX50S, Dodge Dakota
Occupation
Sr. Maintance Engineer
Country flag
Not the same. No wide angle can see around a trailer that is wider than the position of the camera. Tow a max width trailer or boat sometime and you will see why its important.
your extended mirrow does not see around the trailer. and yes a widw angle lense will give you that view

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
If you can reach it all the way on the fender up there. I am just reminded of the bad experience here in MN with backup-cams. They are always dirty in the winter due to the spray that accumulates on the back of the car. I have heard Tesla side cams get covered here as well. Sure, you can wipe it off with your finger in a second, but you don't realize its dirty until you get in and are already driving. So its useless until your next stop where you forget again...
Oddly enough, when I get into a vehicle, and before I start driving, I check that I can see out my windows and with my mirrors. But I suppose I might forget all about seeing anything outside the vehicle if some of the views were camera-based instead. I mean, it's not like I could just look up and see if the cameras were blocked before I started driving, right?

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
The truth is there are many little things that are radically different about driving a Tesla. Things that take you about 5 miles of driving to get accustomed to, like single-pedal driving/rarely using the brake. Mirrors versus cameras, probably not really much of a thing...........but we'll see.........

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
your extended mirrow does not see around the trailer. and yes a widw angle lense will give you that view
A "wide-angle" lens expands the viewing angle of the camera. It would not replace having extended mirrors. If you draw a straight line from the mirror location to the edge of the trailer, that's your max viewing angle. If you extend the mirrors further from the body, as many who tow do, then you can see more of what is behind the trailer. It's not possible to bend light around the trailer with the optics of the camera.

Snuups

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
It's not possible to bend light around the trailer with the optics of the camera.
Shue it is possible. Just drag a black hole behind your trailer. ?

Maybe the solution is a rear camera mounted on the trailer connected via radio waves to the CT.

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The whole mirror thing with a motorized vehicle is an artifice anyway, we can do better...........

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
The trailer thing has already been solved...stop thinking last century. ;)

Invisible Trailer
https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/trailering-enhancements-for-sierra

The vantage point for the cameras to make that work are out wide on the rear view mirrors (which are extendable even wider for trailering):

"Trailering camera system
GMC’s new dealer-available accessory trailering camera system is compatible with 2014-18 Sierra 1500 and HD truck equipped with the DPN- or DQS-code trailer mirrors. ... It features three cameras: two side-view cameras and one for the rear of the trailer. The side cameras are integrated with the trailer mirror housings, offering a view of the sides of the truck and trailer. "

Tesla Cybertruck NO SIDE MIRRORS (Side View Cameras Instead) 1577724670366

muadib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
Country flag
I can't speak to the 3 guys from Canada or the one from Switzerland. To you guys in the USA though, keep dreaming! Your new CT will have mirrors as that the law here, and I don't see the DOT changing that anytime soon.

Shumby

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (ordered), Nissan GTR, Nissan 370Z nismo, Infiniti FX50S, Dodge Dakota
Occupation
Sr. Maintance Engineer
Country flag

you my friend are the one bending light is you think your 12" mirror extention sees behind your trailer.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
you my friend are the one bending light is you think your 12" mirror extention sees behind your trailer.
I don't want to see behind the trailer so much as alongside it. Specifically where are the wheels in relation to the curb and other obstructions when low speed cornering in parking lots, charging stations, and driveways. Or where is back corner of the trailer in relation to the adjacent vehicles when backing it into a parking spot.

On the highway, I like to see what I am side-swiping in that blind spot alongside the trailer when I change lanes.
Sponsored