Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Sometimes I wonder if auto magazines are genuinely in some kind of secret conspiracy when it comes to Autopilot reporting. Whenever I read reviews of other autopilot type systems I always see similar themes:
  • WonderCruise has a special unfoolable attention monitoring system which is much safer than the easily fooled steering wheel fondling Tesla uses.
  • Unlike AutoPilot, DelightSteer actually lets you take your hands off the wheel.
There is no mention of the fact that many of those features are only available on a tiny subset of highways. Almost every other system is so limited I could only use it when going north and south along highway 5. This is not quite worthless to me, but very close. Many of these systems won't work under 30MPH or won't let the vehicle come to a full stop and start.

The coverage is so lopsided and weird it almost feels like a conspiracy.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Another really good point from this article which I've been saying to friends for some time

Elon Musk is going to sell a lot of cars, not because they are electric, but because the computer user interface is so good! Anybody who actually buys one is going to realize this is a different ball game, above and beyond the electric part.
Tesla's on board computer is one of the most consistent, intuitive vehicle consoles I've seen by a large margin.

Most infotainment systems are a bolt on accessory integrating a bunch of disparate systems. They need to be because the auto makers are selling the same car with 2-3 different head unit/ consoles. Each one might be made by a different outside company.

Sounds like Ford is repeating their ICE mistakes when building their F150 Lightning as well.

OP
OP
TexasTesla

TexasTesla

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I liked the fact he’s eighty and realizes with his diminished driving skills that this is a game changer for the elderly. So much positive from this article. He reminds me of my 93 yr old uncle... he gets it!

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
This article makes me want to test drive a Tesla, even though my Cybertruck is over a year from being in my driveway. I bought a 2020 Pacifica PHEV with all their bells and whistles, and it doesn't even stay in its lane unless the road is basically straight. Even then, it ping-pongs from side to side from lane markers and doesn't center. So now I'm wondering what Tesla is offering, thinking of my elderly mom in Arkansas who wants to buy her last vehicle soon.
On a side note, it's interesting this 80 year old Ph.D reserved a Plaid+. Sounds like Tesla really could use some 4680 cells for the extended range people are hoping for.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The UI of all the established automakers for their automated functions should just tell you how bad their functions are. They tell you basically nothing about what the AI is thinking. They barely say 'I see a line on the side and a car in front' the resolution is so low, you really only know what it's seeing when you're exactly in the middle of the lane.

-Crissa

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Something else regarding his choice for the Plaid he indicated because of the mileage but doesn’t the long range go further?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Something else regarding his choice for the Plaid he indicated because of the mileage but doesn’t the long range go further?
Tesla was promoting 520 mile range for the Plaid Plus that he had reserved. The Long range Model S currently states a range of 405 miles. I highly doubt he was interested in the 1100 HP Tesla was also bragging about. :oops:
Sponsored

Last edited: