Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
When I saw the way he pulled the ramp out at the unveiling, my first thought was "he's gonna smash his fingers on the ground"... and stowing the two sections of ramp away, that looks way too easy way to get your fingers pinched.
I would put a few dollars down on a bet that there will be a motorized solution to deploying the ramp, if only for safety.
I also say that there will be three or four small tabs on the end of the ramp, which allow an inch of air to be between the bottom edge of the ramp, and the ground.

Deploy Ramp and Load Quad, At Unveiling YouTube link.

Another thing that nobody mentions, if any part of that ramp becomes even a little bent out of shape, you won't be able to stow it, which will make your vehicle almost un-drivable.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
When I saw the way he pulled the ramp out at the unveiling, my first thought was "he's gonna smash his fingers on the ground"... and stowing the two sections of ramp away, that looks way too easy way to get your fingers pinched.
I would put a few dollars down on a bet that there will be a motorized solution to deploying the ramp, if only for safety.
I also say that there will be three or four small tabs on the end of the ramp, which allow an inch of air to be between the bottom edge of the ramp, and the ground.

Another thing that nobody mentions, if any part of that ramp becomes even a little bent out of shape, you won't be able to stow it, which will make your vehicle almost un-drivable.
Good points. Maybe there haven’t been many recent comments about the tailgate because we have all been focusing on big things like castings, motors, suspension, displays and the like. Personally I like the Chevy Silverado tailgate so if Tesla is still working on the tailgate that is fine with me. And the frunk.

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have seen a few posts about the ramp tailgate.
And seriously, I have had a pickup for 23 years, and thought, "I really need a ramp" perhaps 5 times.That ramp tailgate can't be cheap. I would think it prudent to offer a couple of different tailgate options.
For me? I've lusted after the flip-down step of one of the other major car companies. One of the hardest thing to do with a bed that high is to get into it....and deploying the ramp to just get in the truck seems silly.
The "step"-gate would be much more useful on a daily basis, and perhaps when camping...
Agreed. Great idea. If a ramp is needed, just get the portable kind. (I have a BMW 1200GS and a ramp would be great to get my motorcycle up and in the vault, but I would probably use the steps more than the ramp.)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Agreed. Great idea. If a ramp is needed, just get the portable kind. (I have a BMW 1200GS and a ramp would be great to get my motorcycle up and in the vault, but I would probably use the steps more than the ramp.)
I prefer a ramp I can walk the bike up. I don't want to be Evil Kneivel.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

I’ve never loved tailgates. Had pickups all through ‘70’s.

The cleanest solution is bi-parting swing out gates that close in the middle to lock. Load ramps can pullout from beneath the pickup bed with the gates open. So the gates closed hide and prevent the ramps from moving.
Tesla Cybertruck Only one tailgate option. Why? 1D409D5F-ED6B-4877-9799-9642D895EE1F

This pullout acts as tailgate. It could be two ramps as long as the bed.

Closed, the ramps secure in their own compartment until needed again.

OR just remove them entirely, until you load the Quad again.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Comes to mind that an impressive reveal/event/gimmick for the CT tailgate display would be to include some X-Trials folks boinging all up, over, and off the truck … the CT looking like a trials course anyway. show off the toughness of the stainless/glass, but also the tailgate that otherwise appears subject to failure

Tesla Cybertruck Only one tailgate option. Why? 9707B8F2-AD4B-4323-AEE1-973B12CA3236
Tesla Cybertruck Only one tailgate option. Why? 31865A8D-22A2-4170-A6E5-99FAA0F0A189

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Breaking the ramp is a good point. It did look flimsy.
I guess there will be weight limits,.. exceed that it would be like loading a 1 ton pallet onto the tailgate.

If common sense fails, so will the ramp. lol

-------------------------------------------------

Can one use the bumper as a step ?

I see the F150 has a pull out step, yet there's a handy spot on the bumper. I don't know why they bother with the step
(unless someone can't step up 12 inches for whatever reason - is it an option or standard?)
Tesla Cybertruck Only one tailgate option. Why? 1663039068120

Tesla Cybertruck Only one tailgate option. Why? 1663039595802

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Can one use the bumper as a step ?

I see the F150 has a pull out step, yet there's a handy spot on the bumper.
Not if the tailgate is down

I don't know why they bother with the step
(unless someone can't step up 12 inches for whatever reason - is it an option or standard?)
Setting aside that the tailgate makes it inaccessible, that bumper step is 24” off the ground.

When the tailgate is down, the top of the tailgate is 35” off the ground - assuming stock tires and no lift.

The deployed step is 24” off the ground.

If a person is carrying anything of substance up into or down out of the bed if the truck, even the 24” step can seem a bit of a stretch.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I didn't think it was that high off the ground. Makes sense.
tx

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Maybe there haven’t been many recent comments about the tailgate because we have all been focusing on big things like castings, motors, suspension, displays and the like.
The BAW. Don't forget about the BAW!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Setting aside that the tailgate makes it inaccessible, that bumper step is 24” off the ground.

When the tailgate is down, the top of the tailgate is 35” off the ground - assuming stock tires and no lift.
Uhh... what?

I think your numbers here are wrong but I cannot prove it.

-Crissa