Order of delivery -- will it be by reservation date?

cyberwulf

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still Waiting
Country flag
Just curious if anyone knows, or "has an idea" my pre order was in near the begining, for a dual motor.

Are they going to manufacture/deliver by date of pre order? Or build/sell one model then another?

thanks
Sponsored

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
No one knows.

Likely 1 model then next. Trying to follow order

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
There will be a geographical priority to reservations, meaning the ones with the shortest (cheapest) distance for deliveries will come first*. Texas' dealership laws may mean that Texas deliveries will have greater costs than Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc., so living close to GigaAustin may not be best.

I would imagine that Dual-Motor and Tri-Motors** will be manufactured in approximate equal numbers, with Dual-Motors getting a head start, just for simplicity's sake. With a totally new drivetrain, incorporating 4WS, Tesla will probably want to work the kinks out with the less complicated version.

*aside from VIP deliveries
**I'm sticking with my prediction that there will be no Quad-Motor CyberTruck. Let the arguing begin!

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
There will be a geographical priority to reservations, meaning the ones with the shortest (cheapest) distance for deliveries will come first*. Texas' dealership laws may mean that Texas deliveries will have greater costs than Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc., so living close to GigaAustin may not be best.

I would imagine that Dual-Motor and Tri-Motors** will be manufactured in approximate equal numbers, with Dual-Motors getting a head start, just for simplicity's sake. With a totally new drivetrain, incorporating 4WS, Tesla will probably want to work the kinks out with the less complicated version.

**I'm sticking with my prediction that there will be no Quad-Motor CyberTruck. Let the arguing begin!
I'll argue a little. Texas deliveries will be cheapest (Tesla will "sell" the truck from California and a 3rd party will then sell to buyer or some other chicanery) but, they won't sell all the first ones in the local area. They'll spread them out all over the country to maximize the advertising and get the most people seeing them as possible. It wouldn't make sense to put 100,000 out in Austin and lose a year worth of advertising in the rest of the US.

I ordered my Model Y four months after the unveiling and got it 2 months later, LONG before some people who had ordered on the day of reveal and I'm out in Nebraska. It made no sense that we got it so quickly. We were expecting a year worth of wait, but nope, we have one of the first 12,000 off the line.

Now, if I could just get that lucky with my Cybertruck...

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
... they won't sell all the first ones in the local area. They'll spread them out all over the country to maximize the advertising and get the most people seeing them as possible. It wouldn't make sense to put 100,000 out in Austin and lose a year worth of advertising in the rest of the US.
I agree. Though I do remember late reserving west coasters getting their Model 3s way ahead us early reservers in fly over country, and we did get priority over far east coasters.

I'm hopeful that I won't have vehicle haulers driving past us to deliver CyberTrucks to bigger markets in the north east. 🤞

Sousray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 M3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'll argue a little. Texas deliveries will be cheapest (Tesla will "sell" the truck from California and a 3rd party will then sell to buyer or some other chicanery) but, they won't sell all the first ones in the local area. They'll spread them out all over the country to maximize the advertising and get the most people seeing them as possible. It wouldn't make sense to put 100,000 out in Austin and lose a year worth of advertising in the rest of the US.

I ordered my Model Y four months after the unveiling and got it 2 months later, LONG before some people who had ordered on the day of reveal and I'm out in Nebraska. It made no sense that we got it so quickly. We were expecting a year worth of wait, but nope, we have one of the first 12,000 off the line.

Now, if I could just get that lucky with my Cybertruck...
Why would Tesla be worried about advertising the CT when they have over 1.5 million reservations. The advertising will come later. I think they will be doing close to the plant first (Can only hope).IF so, that will make me one of the first, after the employees.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
When you ordered will make a bigger difference, since the configurations have changed so drastically. Then model, then region.

If you configure a version they're making, you'll get it sooner. Or if you buy one that was abandoned by its

-Crissa

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Why would Tesla be worried about advertising the CT when they have over 1.5 million reservations. The advertising will come later. I think they will be doing close to the plant first (Can only hope).IF so, that will make me one of the first, after the employees.
Well, good luck to us all. I still think Tesla will spread them out to drive interest in Tesla the brand of not the truck directly. I don't know how many Model Y reservations there were but we DEFINITELY weren't in the first 14,000 who ordered the dual motor trim nor were we among the 14,000 closest. Far from it. They may not care about orders much at this point but I'm using my personal experience to predict the future. And, I may be proven wrong. But, until I am, I'm not.

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
My understanding is first priority is employees...
this makes sense because you are effectively doing a live beta with an audience that will be kind.

second priority is the area directly around the factory Austin etc
any recalls or repairs required are close to mechanics VERY familiar with the vehicle for repairs.

Third priority will be population centers near the factory that have Tesla service centers..
again it is easy to train the mechanics on repair / maintain the vehicles if they are close to the factory

each of these are also by build.. they seem to start with the top of the line build first.. so first will be tri motor <maybe quad?> that are employees by res number, then Austin area tri motor with by res number .. etc etc etc...

this allows them to ramp up in a manner that keeps any recalls close to the factory and ensuring the customers can get service to their vehicles.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Just curious if anyone knows, or "has an idea" my pre order was in near the begining, for a dual motor.

Are they going to manufacture/deliver by date of pre order? Or build/sell one model then another?

thanks
Haven’t they told you? New Tesla policy. First numbers are being fulfilled last.

Really, no one knows…and someone asks this question it seeems every other day.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

I still think that the Quad-Motor is a strategic decision to simplify the manufacture. Have 2 of the same drive units in the front and rear, respectively. So if they produce a Tri-Motor I am happy, and if they produce a Quad-Motor I am happy, and if either of them is the first trim I am happy, and otherwise I am frustrated. But my best-case scenario has my number come up about a year from next month so a lot could happen between now and then (not the least of which is a hoped-for big boost in the stock price).

Mark Tri CT NZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
I ordered Xmas eve 2019 but am expecting delivery late 2025 or early 2026 I ordered tri motor with FSD which I locked FSD in at $8knzd which is about $5k usd this is if they actually make it in RHD as they don’t for plaid S or X
Sponsored