Origami forming robot or, how de' goin do dat?

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Was curious. Tesla has these humungous hydraulic casting machines to form and press the front and rear structural assemblies of the Model Y. Regarding the CYBRTRK, I was wondering if anyone had read if Tesla has a huge mother robot to crease the stainless steel, bend it up and around and clamp the body while it is being welded to shape? If not, how de' goin do dat?
Sponsored

Hoppi

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
I believe the answer is 'yes, they have a big robot'.

Folding is a fairly simple move for robots.

-Crissa
Or perhaps the current answer could be 'not yet, but they will'. Plant is not even built yet. So I doubt the robot is built. But I bet it is designed and maybe partially built. But it will need to be moved into place once the building is built so most likely not put together or fully built yet.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Or perhaps the current answer could be 'not yet, but they will'. Plant is not even built yet. So I doubt the robot is built. But I bet it is designed and maybe partially built. But it will need to be moved into place once the building is built so most likely not put together or fully built yet.
Yes, but I'm pretty sure they had to have a robot to build the first one. Folding large objects is easier for machines than people.

-Crissa

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I hope Tesla offers public tours of the Austin assembly plant. If they do I plan on flying into Austin to pickup my CT in person similar to what some new Corvette buyers do and tour the plant on the same day.

I would love to see the factory process where robots score, fold, cut and TIG weld large sheets of 3mm thick SS into a Cybertruck exoskeleton.

Tesla Cybertruck Origami forming robot or, how de' goin do dat? 2EEB7920-ED4B-4692-8539-8F79CB209A05

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I hope Tesla offers public tours of the Austin assembly plant. If they do I plan on flying into Austin to pickup my CT in person similar to what some new Corvette buyers do and tour the plant on the same day.

I would love to see the factory process where robots score, fold, cut and TIG weld large sheets of 3mm thick SS into a Cybertruck exoskeleton.
Hmmmm... that sounds fun. Then I could get in a nice long road trip on the way back too. Make a big expedition of it.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I believe the answer is 'yes, they have a big robot'.

Folding is a fairly simple move for robots.

-Crissa
Guess they need to hire a bending robot. I know a guy.

Tesla Cybertruck Origami forming robot or, how de' goin do dat? Bender_Rodriguez
Sponsored