OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST, Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
Iā€™m not trying to be a hater in any way, but if you canā€™t park it without the fun new tech, you bought the wrong vehicle. Itā€™s a big clumsy truck, just like all the current big clumsy trucks. Itā€™s going to suck if you live in a big city and rely on parking garages, just like current trucks do. Thatā€™s probably why I take my car instead of my truck when Iā€™m headed into a big city.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Iā€™m not trying to be a hater in any way, but if you canā€™t park it without the fun new tech, you bought the wrong vehicle. Itā€™s a big clumsy truck, just like all the current big clumsy trucks. Itā€™s going to suck if you live in a big city and rely on parking garages, just like current trucks do. Thatā€™s probably why I take my car instead of my truck when Iā€™m headed into a big city.
Agree on being comfortable maneuvering without the bells and whistlers. Since the proximity sensors and rear video exists, I will not drive a large vehicle without them anymore as I fear reversing out of my driveway in my neighborhood with plenty of children playing. I canā€˜t live without the tools now.

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST, Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
Agree on being comfortable maneuvering without the bells and whistlers. Since the proximity sensors and rear video exists, I will not drive a large vehicle without them anymore as I fear reversing out of my driveway in my neighborhood with plenty of children playing. I canā€˜t live without the tools now.
No argument there. I added an aftermarket rear view camera to my current truck because of a similar mindset. I was just saying that if people buying this truck are going to think that parking a big truck becomes a non-issue, theyā€™re wrong.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
No argument there. I added an aftermarket rear view camera to my current truck because of a similar mindset. I was just saying that if people buying this truck are going to think that parking a big truck becomes a non-issue, theyā€™re wrong.
It is a non issue if you have experience driving large trucks. I used to drive utility digger and bucket trucks in cities and 4 door trucks with service bodies instead of boxes. You do get used to the size of these vehicles. You do get used to doing a walk around before moving so you know what is there. You do get used to parking a block from the store so you can fit in a parking spot.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
My solution to parking in the city is don't go to the city. But then that's my solution for most things having to do with cities.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
No apology, please! That's exactly what I wanted to get - your impressions.
Perhaps I spoke too quickly about improvements. My wife came home last night complaining about autopilot suddenly DEcellerating twice on the 85. Anyway, I think it has improved.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
It is the #1 thing I DON'T miss about my '99 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab long bed. I once made the mistake of taking it into downtown San Francisco.... those parking lots..... they were built to be a "ranch truck" !

OTH - door ding proof panels! :love:

As for the self parking, please "hold your horses".

In November my wife came out after work to find her Model 3 had been hit, with a note on it... "My self backing car messed up". Turns out it was a 2017 Model S (owned by an insurance agent!) that had decided to try that feature out for the first time. They ended up replacing the front fender an bumper skirt. So please people, don't experiment around other peoples cars. And don't trust the software (note that I am a software engineer, I speak from experience, and I did spend 6 years working on DARPA funded AI software!).

Tesla Cybertruck Parking space neurosis IMG_8138.JPG
Tesla Cybertruck Parking space neurosis IMG_8139.JPG
Tesla Cybertruck Parking space neurosis IMG_8143.JPG

Dives2little

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Cybertruck at 79ā€ will be 4ā€ wider (2ā€ on each side) than my RX at 75ā€. In most cases that wonā€™t be a problem. The length of 232ā€, on the other hand, compared to 195ā€, might cause a problem. You full-sized truck folks, do you have any length issues with your trucks in parking spaces and lots now?
The CT size will be an issue if you park close at Walmart, but if you park away, no issues. Our current p/u is a short bed F-150 and it is nearly carlike to park. The predecessor was a long bed Dodge Crew Cab 3500 single rear wheel, which was less pleasant in parking lots, but still doable. Takes practice, common sense, and a good feel for where the "corners" of the vehicle are.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
We have a Dodge 3500 dually. The Boss Lady can park it anywhere most people can park a full sized sedan. I'm used to parking my little Nissan van so I'm sure I'll have a learning curve even though I've driven Commercial and military vehicles most of my adult life. Unless my bum knee is giving me issues I'll park out in the empty areas and get some exercise walking in and out. Door dings should not be as big an issue with the heavy duty stainless steel construction. A built in back up camera would be good (I have an aftermarket one in the Nissan).
Sponsored