Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
if batteries are in short supply for the next decade or so, then V2G/V2H would certainly help that situation if the CT had these capabilities...the damned Nissan Leaf has it...c'mon E...
Hmmm, how much does a used Leaf cost? How much is a powerwall? hmmmm. BTW on the battery day video they said "Eventually" they'd have V2G.
Sponsored

cyberHoward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
It seems Ford solved the VTG power adapter problem that Tesla references making it easy to just plug in the house or auto-switch. I hope Tesla reconsiders.

30kw a day at 9.6kw peak. That all sounds like the average consumer based on web searching and it says it will last for days. I am guessing the Cybertruck will have twice the power potential based on twice the mileage of the Ford Lightning.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...ectric-pickup-intelligent-backup-power-house/

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am guessing the Cybertruck will have twice the power potential based on twice the mileage of the Ford Lightning.
Ahh... this is the part where the math gets weird.

The Ford is heavier and less aerodynamic so it needs a bigger battery to go the same distance. The Ford might require 200kWh battery to get 300 miles of range where the Tesla might just need 150kWh.

That's why in the other thread I suggested the Ford could easily be the *better* home backup than the Tesla. I suspect the 500 mile range Tesla is going to have a similar or perhaps only marginally larger battery than the 300 mile range Ford.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It seems Ford solved the VTG power adapter problem that Tesla references making it easy to just plug in the house or auto-switch. I hope Tesla reconsiders.
The V2G problem is far from solved. The grid side needs a lot of work. Ford has potentially solved the V2H problem.

30kw a day at 9.6kw peak. That all sounds like the average consumer based on web searching and it says it will last for days.
They say it will last for three days. That says the truck will have about 100 kWh battery assuming some losses for conversion efficiency.

I am guessing the Cybertruck will have twice the power potential based on twice the mileage of the Ford Lightning.
The TriMotor will probably have a battery of 200 kWh or even a bit more so I think you are right there but the CT does not have an inverter that can be permanently installed to your house wiring and it is only 7.2 kW (30A) as opposed to the 9.6 kW from the Ford (40A). The permanent installation for the Ford says that it must be capable of doing the transfer function which is isolating the inverter and the circuits it serves from the mains when the power goes out. But I can't see a 9.6 kW source as the emergency source for a whole house and so the Ford system has no appeal to me at least not to the extent that it would sway my decision away from Tesla.