Powering your home with the Cyber Truck

hobbit11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Country flag
i live in New Orleans and if you've lived through Katrina(2005), Camille(1969), Betsy(1965), Hilda(1964), you'd understand how impacted by life experience has been with extended power outages. The outages caused by Katrina were the most egregious but in many places, Camille's impact was just as awful but not as widespread. As 7th grader living with 4 younger siblings, we were without power for 11 days after Betsy. We did NOT have A/C in our home at the time as the house was built on piers and was naturally aspirated with screened windows, high ceilings and a huge ceiling fan. Ever been run over by a hurricane? If you have been, you'd know that it can be horribly hot, little to no breeze and humidity though the roof...it ain't pretty...
Sponsored

OP
OP
C T Rick

C T Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2015 Nissan NV 3500, 2013 Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Country flag
We get billed for water and power every 2 months.
Iā€™m around 600 kWh every 60 days. 10 kWh per day.

Not looking to go off grid, just looking for a reliable emergency power supply. Not necessarily for me since I have more than enough generators and inverters. But to power tools and equipment at jobsites and emergency situations.

Imagine all the extra Teslaā€™s that could be sold just because of this.

Look at all the EV And hybrids they sold in Calif just for the decal to use the carpool lane solo.

At my shop Iā€™m all solar inverter and diesel generator as needed. Just the savings from the minimum bill alone is about $60. A month even if I donā€™t use anything. Lots of pissed off businesses that are getting large power bills while closed. All based on your service size / transformer size.

Rick.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The average home in the US used about 30 kWh per day.

That means a Model Y can power a house - without unplugging a damn thing - for two days and still have enough charge to go 54 miles to a Supercharger.

So there is clearly enough power to have some hot showers and cool ac and power your fridge and not deplete your range.

-Crissa

Last edited:

sl1cedbread

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3; Waiting for CT (Config TBA)
Country flag
The average home in the US used about 30 kWh per day.

That means a Model Y can power a house - without unplugging a damn thing x for two days and still have enough charge to go 54 miles to a Supercharger.

So there is clearly enough power to have some hot showers and cool ac and power your fridge and not deplete your range.

-Crissa
This plus those who have solar panels are way ahead. Not only should we be able to safely cut off from grid and run days on Tesla car battery. We also have the capability to charge the same battery during the day and reuse it over and over again. It really upsets me that we have these power walls with meager capacity for$20k+ when the current and future car batteries have significantly higher capacity and are stationary + plugged in the rest of the time. Elon is an engineer who solved rockets landing, and talks about "oh such struggles" to hook up car to grid. What a bullsh1t answer.

1) every Tesla should be able to participate in energy market as long as it is plugged in because it has necessary capabilities to check if grid is live (this is me being very naive)

2) every Tesla should have ability to hook up to manual or automated transfer switch and not just in uk with energy grid market. Full stop. Make it happen Elon/Tesla and I/we all can get rid of backup generators.

hobbit11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Country flag
This plus those who have solar panels are way ahead. Not only should we be able to safely cut off from grid and run days on Tesla car battery. We also have the capability to charge the same battery during the day and reuse it over and over again. It really upsets me that we have these power walls with meager capacity for$20k+ when the current and future car batteries have significantly higher capacity and are stationary + plugged in the rest of the time. Elon is an engineer who solved rockets landing, and talks about "oh such struggles" to hook up car to grid. What a bullsh1t answer.

1) every Tesla should be able to participate in energy market as long as it is plugged in because it has necessary capabilities to check if grid is live (this is me being very naive)

2) every Tesla should have ability to hook up to manual or automated transfer switch and not just in uk with energy grid market. Full stop. Make it happen Elon/Tesla and I/we all can get rid of backup generators.
Amen

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This. ā˜

How long will the battery in that cycle power that house? If they turned off the outside lights and some of the inside ones it might last the evening but not much longer.
Sorry, I missed this since it was in the quote. Whoops.

A Model Y will power a house more than two days without doing all that.

And usually you put backup power on only a few circuits - the furnace, the hot water heater, the refrigerator. It's both cheaper and lets your power last longer.

But two days! You can use 30% of your battery and not even touch your battery life but cycle your house completely off grid with solar power.

And if your Cybertruck isn't home, are you really using alot of power there? ^-^

Right now, Tesla is the one vehicle that doesn't work with these prototype V2H devices. But they should be.

-Crissa

Pepper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model Y LR
Occupation
Retired chemist
Country flag
Go to YouTube and search: Tesla V2G Autobidder. Autobidder is software that could make both Tesla AND CT owners a lot of money since we would be basically an electric utility company. My understanding is that they were contemplating V2H if the grid were to go down, but that Elon was concerned about Powerwall sales. If I could add my two cents here I beleive they should charge extra for the V2G and give rebates on Powerwall. People do need a Powerwall anyway so that if the CT isnā€™t home theyā€™ll still have power.

scomer

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes it is. If grid goes down when the sun is shining and the inverters are allowed to continue running they would energize the grid if not disable and so endanger linemen who did not follow the required safety protocols. At least that the untilities' argument. Thus the inverters are triggered by the grid. If it goes down, the inverters shut down.

The PowerWalls can simulate the grid so that if you have PowerWalls and solar and the grid goes down the power wall senses grid down, disconnects the house from the grid and then provides the sync for the system. The microinverters keep going and the PowerWalls continue to charge...

...until the sun goes down at which time the PowerWalls assume the load.

AJ, I have a question for you: I have a PV array. Could you wire a 2-way charger (e.g. Wallbox Quasar) so that it simulates a Powerwall when the charger is plugged in to the vehicle and thus trigger the PV panels/microinverters to supply power to the vehicle battery?

Thanks; really appreciate your expertise and reading your responses to questions?[/QUOTE]

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Look at how many people die because of exhaust from generators. To have a Cybertruck with 5 times the storage of a Powerwall seems like a no brainer. Hell, why not buy 2 Cybertrucks just so you could have temp power for weeks. Rotate going to the Supercharger every couple of days? But better yet use Solar!

https://electrek.co/2020/10/13/portable-electric-ceo-mark-rabin-generators/

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
It could be that the heat issue makes induction charging more practical and attractive to companies like Tesla and its flexibility?

Meaning, pull through spots, do not have to worry about cord lengths (and cords being stolen or carried by customers, etc). Supposedly wireless charging has gotten better...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
That would depend on the details of the design of the Quasar. It would have to have two of the features of the Powerwall
1)The ability to produce 240V when connected only to the car, i.e. to clock itself independent of grid connection status
2)A means to isolate itself AND the solar cells from the mains when they are down. This is what the Gateway does in the Powerwall

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It could be that the heat issue makes induction charging more practical and attractive to companies like Tesla and its flexibility?

Meaning, pull through spots, do not have to worry about cord lengths (and cords being stolen or carried by customers, etc). Supposedly wireless charging has gotten better...
Yes it has to the point where Level 2 charging is practical in some cases but it is still inefficient enough that it is out of the question for Level 3 (AFAIK).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Look at how many people die because of exhaust from generators.
That's why my generators are a couple of hundred feet from my houses.

To have a Cybertruck with 5 times the storage of a Powerwall seems like a no brainer.
I agree that someone who doesn't think it through might come to that conclusion but some who do give it considerable thought and evaluate the shortcomings decide that the downsides are acceptable and will, if Tesla ever offers a configuration that makes it possible, go with it. Is Tesla going to offer a CT configuration option that would hurt its PowerWall sales? I don't think so but they might.

hobbit11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Country flag

hobbit11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Country flag
That's why my generators are a couple of hundred feet from my houses.

I agree that someone who doesn't think it through might come to that conclusion but some who do give it considerable thought and evaluate the shortcomings decide that the downsides are acceptable and will, if Tesla ever offers a configuration that makes it possible, go with it. Is Tesla going to offer a CT configuration option that would hurt its PowerWall sales? I don't think so but they might.
if batteries are in short supply for the next decade or so, then V2G/V2H would certainly help that situation if the CT had these capabilities...the damned Nissan Leaf has it...c'mon E...
Sponsored