Powershare as powerwall

loki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Is the Cybertruck with PowerShare able to act like a powerwall? For instance tell it to charge during the day and have the house draw power from it when the electricity rates are higher in the evening?
Sponsored

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
No one knows for sure at this point how the CT will work as far as powershare via the UWC. But I would assume tesla has the ability to do that. Whether or not they want to allow us to use it is a different question. They might not, because of strain on battery. Time will tell

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I do not believe so, it is a failover mechanism from what I can determine.

Time will tell.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Most of that is software, anyhow.

-Crissa
Not quite,

Power failure requires the load to be disconnected from the grid before power is applied. There has to be a relay to disconnect from the grid.

Many Powerwalls with solar are in a grid-connected state. They are used to reduce the amount of energy (with solar) or to time shift the load (with just Powerwalls). When the grid disappears, they have to turn off. They are also very frequency aware, because they must match the waveforms from the utility EXACTLY.

Cyber07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 MS 85, 2018 M3 LR, 2020 M3 P, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
They will use the v2 Gateway to connect to the CT with an AC connection, the same way they are doing with their powerwall. I have two GWs with 8 PWs and I expect this will be one one of the breakers IF you have a place for it. It don’t think that will be difficult. Due to the very simplistic nature they can exactly manage the CT as a normal PW.
It will be just a decision what they will allow. My biggest question mark that they only allow 20amp per PW string, so I don’t know how the 60amp breaker config will work. It shouldn’t be an issue theoretically neither for load perspective as they already do the power aggregation but I just don’t know what else they thinking there.
I always thought, understanding in depth the GW2, that for Tesla this should be super easy and not complex. The only thing they had to solve is having proper mofset for the H bridge in the car charger side.
What I am truly bummed that they don’t have the 80amp onboard charging/reversing option because that would have been super great.

JayJay

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, Cyber Truck on order
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Is the Cybertruck with PowerShare able to act like a powerwall? For instance tell it to charge during the day and have the house draw power from it when the electricity rates are higher in the evening?
I am not an expert but I think the Powershare only feeds the house if power is out and there is a short drop in power while it turns on. Powering the house from the Powerwall is seamless and has the other functionality. There are videos on Youtube.
Tesla Cybertruck Powershare as powerwall powershare diagram
Sponsored