Range Extender = Super Cheap Powerwall?

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
3 gives you 7 days? In winter (little daylight, high draw)?

Is that Tesla’s calc, or your own that adds a realist buffer over Tesla’s calc?
It theirs

Your System21.06 kW Solar3 Powerwall

PowerwallHome Backup
Powerwall is a smart home battery that stores electricity for later use, offering backup power during outages and the ability to optimize energy consumption by storing excess energy from solar panels
11 - 16 Hrs
Avg Winter Day
16 Hrs - 7+ Days
Avg Summer Day
3 Powerwalls$26,000
Sponsored

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Having a 175 kwh hurricane backup system is pretty darn compelling.
I forecast 175 kWh CT pack after the SEMI reveal....where my numbers for the BIG TRUCK showed the 1.7 kWh per mile consumption ( 850 kWh pack __unconfirmed )
I missed the CT 3.1 miles per kWh tho.....
And now we have this.....l always hoped for a Vehicle to Grid or Home option....
Australia is hanging upside DownUnder for the CT ....l'm speaking for everyone really!

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
While I would seriously miss the big, flat bed, the bigger issue is the weight. The Cybertruck, by all accounts, drives very nicely. The additional weight of the battery, coupled with that of passengers and gear, would just ruin it for me. Tires and suspension wears faster, less capable on rugged roads and off-road, higher chances of getting flat tires, less floatation in sand, mud and wet grass, etc.

I don't want the truck's handling and off-road capability handicapped just for another 100 real-world miles that I don't even need with the ever expanding and super-fast Supercharger Network.

Additionally, it reduces towing and hauling limits.
Good points....'NO Range Extender 4U' ;)

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
The range extender = 130 extra miles / 340 or ~38% of the CT battery Capacity (probably closer to 40% given the weight penalty). If the CT has a 125KWH battery pack that means the extender = 48 - 50 kwh. When operating as a V2H backup power supply that is 4.5 powerwalls or $38k worth of power walls for only $16k (installed). Seems like an excellent deal if you do not mind losing the bed space!
I live in Canada and we are currently clearing a building site and will start building next year on a second property. There is no electricity (we call it hydro in Ontario) access to our property and we will need to use solar and a back up generator. I have been on a waiting list for a powerwall for about two years have heard nothing from tesla. If I get my CT in 1-2 years this may be a work around and I can get power at my permanent home for $0.08 per Kw and use it to power our vacation home.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
It theirs

PowerwallHome Backup
Powerwall is a smart home battery that stores electricity for later use, offering backup power during outages and the ability to optimize energy consumption by storing excess energy from solar panels
11 - 16 Hrs
Avg Winter Day
16 Hrs - 7+ Days
Avg Summer Day
3 Powerwalls$26,000
it’s all good and nothing exactly misleading, just to have your head up that for a lot of folks the need for backup is weighted towards winter when when not just days but esp sunlight are far fewer/less

Tesla seems to size system for an avg, which means when you might need it most you have the least

unfortunately only way to fix that with power walls is to add more

or in your case, have the CT/RE as additional capacity

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
It theirs

PowerwallHome Backup
11 - 16 Hrs
Avg Winter Day
16 Hrs - 7+ Days
Avg Summer Day
3 Powerwalls$26,000
it’s all good and nothing exactly misleading, just to have your head up that for a lot of folks the need for backup is weighted towards winter events, when not just daylight hours but esp sunlight are far fewer/less

having a CT/RE will mitigate

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
it’s all good and nothing exactly misleading, just to have your head up that for a lot of folks the need for backup is weighted towards winter events, when not just daylight hours but esp sunlight are far fewer/less

having a CT/RE will mitigate
I don't think they offer a midgate. Mostly a rumor started by Gus.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
The way I am looking at is that i can minimize the Powerwall count I needed for the new home I am building.

Where as I was planning on 3 Powerwalls to provide up to 7 days backup I can now do one to provide backup while I am away or going to Supercharger.

If this will work it seems like a 16k savings for my solar/backup system.
You must be building a pretty small home to have a load that small. Quick math says that's less than 10 kWh/day. A/Cs generally suck more than that.

Many home need that many Powerwalls to satisfy the load requirements.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
The range extender = 130 extra miles / 340 or ~38% of the CT battery Capacity (probably closer to 40% given the weight penalty). If the CT has a 125KWH battery pack that means the extender = 48 - 50 kwh. When operating as a V2H backup power supply that is 4.5 powerwalls or $38k worth of power walls for only $16k (installed). Seems like an excellent deal if you do not mind losing the bed space!

It also means that the truck won't be able to leave the house during the entire time. That is, you lose power while at work, the family won't have power. If you are on a vacation, the refrigerator will possibly spoil food.

But also, it may power a much smaller portion of your house than 4 Powerwalls. 11kW isn't a lot of power when it comes to air conditioners.

FrankJones217

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
SPFX
Country flag
Considering how much room the CT has, I'm not put off by losing the bed space. The only real downside is how short is makes the bed length-wide, think I would have preferred a thinner flat pack that covered the whole bed.
This is exactly my thoughts! I would rather have a flat battery pack that still gives me a bed!