RG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
self employed
Country flag
Does anyone have thoughts on if to go with Vinyl wrap or Steck PPF? Cost/ Value analysis?
I have never wrapped a car or done PPF before and am doing research on the process/ cost.
Will take it to a shop in LA once i get delivery next week.
Does anyone have strong views or info on the process?
Sponsored

Noblelr3

First Name
Noble
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S & X
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Country flag
I wrapped my X wrong at first and paid twice for it. My black X was taken right to the shop to get tinted and wrapped. I initially used vinyl only because at the time it was about $1k less than PPF. The wrap came out great but I didn’t realize how many chips it would take. I replaced the hood, then a door when someone hit my door with theirs, and finally the rear trunk/hatch because I backed into my garage wall slowly and slightly hit the wall. Each time the wrap cost $200-$300 plus the time to take it in.
Vinyl wrap paper is much thinner and easier to tear. Unlike PPF is does not self heal with warm water or the sun. PPF lasts up to 10 years (with warranty) vinyl only 1-3 years (check warranty). The only good thing about vinyl over PPF in my opinion is the paper is about $600-$800 cheaper and has many more color selection. You will pay way more than what the PPF paper will cost if you get vinyl because each paper tear looks like an eye sore. I expect the front vertically flat frunk will chip up within 6-8 months depending on how you drive. Pay for the PPF they are many colors out now. Xpel is what is in my car now for over 3 years and no problems. I’m a firefighter not affiliated with any company. Just my opinion. I ended up paying $6k then $7k-$8k to remove and wrap my X in PPF. I don’t want anyone else to go through that unless it’s worth it to them. Also, pick your company very very carefully. If they don’t have about 4-5 vehicles worth totaling over 1 mill all together, think twice. In So. Cal I use Protective Film Solutions.

Last edited:

lessbanking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
So I have not wrapped a vehicle before, but after thorough research I am going with STEK color PPF. Main reasons being the self-healing properties and the fact I will be leaving the Cybertruck exposed to the elements in the Florida sun (no garage space).

Tony stank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT AWD, X3 M Comp, GT3 RS
Occupation
Ex Tesla, ADAS whisperer
Country flag
5k for 3m and 7.5k for stek color ppf.

Including clear ppf on all the pillers, door buttons, roof rails and both light bars. 1-2 layers of ceramic as well.

OCD in Fremont. A multi week wait thou.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Does anyone have thoughts on if to go with Vinyl wrap or Steck PPF? Cost/ Value analysis?
I have never wrapped a car or done PPF before and am doing research on the process/ cost.
What day next week you scheduled to take delivery ?

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Model X, '21 Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag
I went 1 year without getting PPF on my Model X and collected a few paint chips, so I took it to a place to paint correct the front and apply a front wrap. It included the front bumper, hood, front quarter panels and mirrors. It's been on for 7 years and it's still holding up for the most part. I have a few points of damage on the front bumper. 1 got through the ppf and paint, showing black primer or urethane so it must have been a big hit. In general, it has definitely provided chip protection, but we're not worried about paint chips on the Cybertruck.

The glossy surface cleans well and takes ceramic treatments or wax well. I feel like I can make the hood as hydrophobic as the paint and don't have to worry about swirls or claying the surface when deep detailing. Probably not as highly reflective as a well polished paint and not as perfectly reflective either if you're trying to go for a show car polish (again, not an issue for the Cybertruck).

I 've never had vinyl, but I see it on cars around me. If you live in an area that's prone to paint chipping, I don't think vinyl will hold up well, but it might be easy enough to just DIY replace the front vinyl that gets damaged.

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford F350 Plat, 22 F150 Plat, 20 Jeep Gladiator
Country flag
I was interested in this as well. In my analysis it looks like PPF is the way to go. But it’s pricey. I don’t mind paying it if it lasts. My big concern is how long it lasts and is it easy to repair. In CO they use a lot of sand/rocks on the roads during the winter (thus why we have one of the highest windshield crack rates in the country). Road rash is a big issue on the front and at least once a year I use touch up paint to fill them in. I would be interested in knowing how folks with PPF deal with this or do they have to replace it after a few years ($$$?).

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
5k for 3m and 7.5k for stek color ppf.

Including clear ppf on all the pillers, door buttons, roof rails and both light bars. 1-2 layers of ceramic as well.

OCD in Fremont. A multi week wait thou.
5k for 3m.... But only for the initial install, it doesn't consider replacement panels every couple of months.

OP
OP

goldshro

First Name
RG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
self employed
Country flag
PPF seems to be the resounding consensus. I am going with Matte Black. Any feelings on Steck vs XPel . Also any recommendations for shops in LA Area?