PREDICTION: Cybertruck comes in lite duty (Aluminum casting) and heavy duty (cold-rolled Steel) variants

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How do you have two variants when one is the crunchy outside (the cold rolled steel) and the other is the underside (the gigacast aluminum)?

They need both to make a vehicle. Otherwise there's no place to mount the motors. Or, otherwise there's no skin to provide strength against dynamic forces.

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I just heard IKEA is partnering with Tesla to distribute the Cybertruck.

Tesla Cybertruck PREDICTION: Cybertruck comes in lite duty (Aluminum casting) and heavy duty (cold-rolled Steel) variants 1690437079315

Easyejl

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Audi Q4 e-tron,2017 WRX STI, 2003 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Software development
Country flag
Aluminum pound for pound costs more than stainless steel, so it doesn't really make any sense

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
My novice impression is that Tesla is not building two entirely different/separate GF TX lines for two entirely different/separate vehicle platforms

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
could be a troll.. we've had too many "aluminum casting" vs "steel stamping" misunderstanding/conflation threads. but i guess it could just be another one..

Thats not how this works, thats now how any of this works! You need both castings and stampings to make a modern vehicle.

Maybe OP means there would be a variant without the stamped steel skin, but i'm not sure what would be the point of that.. it wouldn't be "light duty" so much as an entirely new vehicle at that point.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Maybe OP means there would be a variant without the stamped steel skin, but i'm not sure what would be the point of that.. it wouldn't be "light duty" so much as an entirely new vehicle at that point.
i took the suggestion to be that we've only seen the version with internal castings/cab (that will be covered in SS), as opposed to true [BLEEP BLEEP] version that will be all SS structure
Sponsored