DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
@Frankenblob I get where you're coming from. The tri-motor price is already out of my range and I'm figuring out how to make it work. No others have the range. I have a model 3 and know what I'm getting with FSD whereas the offerings from the others seem like a step back. I'm not sure what the tow weight of the R1T is but part of making the cost work is tow capacity. I'm also a believer in the exoskeleton and I'll need some proof that box on frame or skateboard will work. If the price goes up anymore, I'm probably out completely.
Sponsored

Fvansan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma and pre-ordered a cybertruck dual motor
Occupation
Retired Psychiatric Social Worker
Country flag
It is ridiculous to think that any auto maker would go into a multi year manufacturing run without availability and price contracts for every aspect of the production. Tesla has contracted with this Texas company to provide stainless for the Starship and Cybertruck. Does anyone really believe that Tesla is so stupid as to be at the whim of the market fluctuations? They might have to take out contracts for different volumes at different prices, but we can be pretty certain that they are protected within the scope of existing contracts.
This is absolutely correct. Musk and associates have, I am positive contracted price at discount for large orders consistently over time.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Stainless steel has gone up about 50% ( not 400 %, as i inaccurately stated priorly) and we know commodities can be cyclical and demand driven, amongst other things.

Ergo, would higher CT prices stop you from buying, drive you down the motor scale ( i.e 3 to 2 or 2 to 1) or "ta hell with it, I am buying at any cost!"?
[/QUO

Do any of you think Elon knows a little bit about the stock market? Have any of you ever traded in commodities? I don't care if the price of stainless goes up 1,000%. I guarantee you Elon covered that with sufficient futures contracts, not only guaranteeing him supply , but price as well. Most contracts are never fulfilled but are rather traded for profit (or at a loss sometimes). I've been on both ends, but Elon is a smart man (I'm sure we can all agree on that) and he would have covered his projected needs for SS well into the future with contracts. It is a form of insurance but hard currency if the need arises. Even if the price goes up a bazillion percent, they have to sell Elon his contracts for the specified quantity at the specified price. Relax, oh ye of little faith! I guarantee you that Elon has this angle taken care of. No sweat!

OP
OP

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
We will see.

He should have a good stash of Ag also, time will tell.

p.s. hopefully he SHORTED THE SNOT out of "GME" first thing today or late Friday! - hehehe

Warhawk123162

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350 Tesla 3
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I think I’ll jump off that bridge when I get to it! Who me worry? I’m in 100%, 3motor FSD, it’s the best value in trucks going. Anyone look at what an F350 crew cab costs? Chevy 3500 diesel? Starting at $85000!!! And my CT will drive me to the job! I drive an 08’ F350 crew cab 4x4 now and I love it. I also lease a model 3. Love that too best car I’ve ever driven. Me thinks the Tesla team know what their doing at this point. I’ll let them worry over the details.

Turtle

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It is ridiculous to think that any auto maker would go into a multi year manufacturing run without availability and price contracts for every aspect of the production. Tesla has contracted with this Texas company to provide stainless for the Starship and Cybertruck. Does anyone really believe that Tesla is so stupid as to be at the whim of the market fluctuations? They might have to take out contracts for different volumes at different prices, but we can be pretty certain that they are protected within the scope of existing contracts.
I VM agree! Much ado about nothing. Too many worry warts!

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I VM agree! Much ado about nothing. Too many worry warts!
The Bollinger went out of my reach (and is not as interesting anymore) but the CT Trimotor is ball park in reach and very cheap here compared to similarly sized SUVs (trucks aren’t that common). There’s no engine pollution sales tax or VAT (25%) on EVs so it’s a good deal until the government realizes that most cars sold are EVs, EVs are good cars on their own merits, and it can now start taxing EVs too.

So I’m in as long as it’s not too late and tax increases.

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I wouldn't worry, a SS factory is being built in the Austin area and could possibly be built or controlled by Tesla
From Tesmanian...
"The Steel Dynamics plant, which is just 170 miles from the Tesla Giga Texas factory site, is due to launch in fall 2021. According to San Patricio County Judge David Krebs' statement to K3 News, the new plant will supply steel to build Cybertruck.

Steel Dynamics Inc. announced in November 2019 that it would invest up to $1.8 billion to build a plant in the southwestern United States. Sinton, which is located near Tesla's new plant in Texas, was chosen as the site for the construction. Steel Dynamics said the plant will be ready for commissioning by mid-2021, and will be designed to produce 3 million tonnes of steel per year."

Everything's gonna be fine. Steel Dynamics plant will probably end up a Tesla factory soon (vertical integration and all)!
Sponsored