Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
Y owner (wife's) per the sig. We're over 18,000 miles now and we've spent just over USD 380 for charging given our rates here in the Best State in the Union... Her Rogue would have cost north of USD 1,950 to do the same... Your operating costs will be much less than 50% I expect...

It's a great, utilitarian vehicle and will serve you well. Only thing I would say is go for the smallest wheels/tires you can. We have Inductions and they are AWESOME. But if you are really trying to keep it low-key and to get the most mileage out of it, that is the way to go.

Good luck!

S
Tesla Cybertruck Professional Appearance IMG_20200409_105947
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
BillyGee

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
If your partner's financial sense is that bad you might need a new partner.
He's technically retired, he's just bad with tech. He also thought QuickBooks online was a bad idea, but after using it for 2 years he's fine with it.

Y owner (wife's) per the sig. We're over 18,000 miles now and we've spent just over USD 380 for charging given our rates here in the Best State in the Union... Her Rogue would have cost north of USD 1,950 to do the same... Your operating costs will be much less than 50% I expect...

It's a great, utilitarian vehicle and will serve you well. Only thing I would say is go for the smallest wheels/tires you can. We have Inductions and they are AWESOME. But if you are really trying to keep it low-key and to get the most mileage out of it, that is the way to go.

Good luck!
I went ahead with performance for quicker delivery and better resale value down the line. I'm well under the mileage cap every day, so home charging off the solar array we're getting installed will basically make it free to drive. The loan is less than half of my monthly truck expenses, so when I'm not even paying for juice it'll be even better. I worked the Y out to costing me about 7¢ a mile to drive compared to my truck at 49¢ per mile. Considering I drive just under 36,000 miles a year on average I'll be saving nearly $7,200 a year, and that's before it's paid off.

That's the part that blew me away.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
With the delay of our N64 trucks I'm now seriously considering a model Y to get my by until then.

However, my business partner seems convinced that a model Y will send the wrong message when pulling up to job sites, but I'm really not convinced that's the case. I do specialty repairs at wineries all over California, so I'd be lugging parts and tools everywhere.

A White model Y pulling up and pulling the toolbags out of the back still seems perfectly professional to me. That said, what do you nerds think?
When I hire people I like to see them show up in an efficient vehicle. Because I know I'm the one paying for the cost of their travels. As long as the Model Y is sized appropriately to hold everything you need without making multiple trips, I think it would reflect very well on your business.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The only place a ICE vehicle "fits" is in the field.
...And not even there,, if they can help it, honestly. Some of them (even the big guys) get picky about additional emissions next to their crops. Terroir and all that. Only what's needed and no more.

In that case, a Y is even more professional and considerate.

I thought you were joking about 'fitting in' but in so many wineries I would think you'd want something that can turn in a tight space. They're often crowded, especially at turnover time when they really need their equipment fixed. Half their parking next to the bunks will be devoted to pallets of cases going out and equipment going in.

You really do want the smallest footprint. My mom's Mazda 5 felt like a huge van at half the really expensive places, squeezing up those lanes.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
The one piece of advice I have. If you show up in your fancy Tesla and act like you don't want to get dirty, that "could" be a problem. Buy some good liners for the floor and cargo area, and enjoy yourself. Hope you don't miss riding up high in your truck. It's a temporary fix, until you get your Cybertruck.

OP
OP
BillyGee

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
The one piece of advice I have. If you show up in your fancy Tesla and act like you don't want to get dirty, that "could" be a problem. Buy some good liners for the floor and cargo area, and enjoy yourself. Hope you don't miss riding up high in your truck. It's a temporary fix, until you get your Cybertruck.
I already have liners picked out on Amazon, a stockpile of gator wipes, a new rigid rolling toolbox for parts storage and organizing and a plastic bin for oil and one for acid.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I already have liners picked out on Amazon, a stockpile of gator wipes, a new rigid rolling toolbox for parts storage and organizing and a plastic bin for oil and one for acid.

You might want to get some extra rubber mat like material that you can flip out of the hatch to protect the hatch lower lip entrance & bumper from scratches as you load/unload equipment/tools. We do this when working under hood of ICE vehicles so we do not scratch up the fancy painted easily scratched front fenders of ICE vehicles.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Oil & acid in the frunk to avoid smells in the cabin I hope.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
A Model Y is hardly fancy compared to some of the brand new lifted 4x4 trucks people have showed up in to bid a job. Invariably they are all clean and don't want to get their hands dirty either. Usually they have the highest bid too - someone has to pay their fuel bill to drive around and bid all those jobs (not to mention the truck payments on that $80K truck).

Last edited:

OP
OP
BillyGee

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Had another heated debate with my business partner about getting rid of the truck. He's a bit of a fuddy duddy at times, but his most hilarious point was this:
"When you pull up in a truck people know you're there to work. First impressions are priceless."

While I get what he's saying, he seems to be under the impression that people's expectations change when you pull up in certain vehicles. My own experiences have shown this to not be the case as I've delivered parts on a motorcycle and travelled all over the USA doing field service out of a pelican box in a rental car.

Is there any veracity to his take? I don't do pluming, construction or well digging. I fix specialty machines on site.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
First impressions are priceless.
He misspelled "worthless." In my experience, people who rely heavily on "impression" are the least competent and least trustable. Confidence without image is much more impressive. A partner and I showed up to close a $300k deal in shorts and t-shirts. People were stunned, but later my inside guy said that one of the managers said something like "they must be really good or have titanium balls to show up like that."

I used to do network field service on a YSR 50 and a backpack.

Tesla Cybertruck Professional Appearance maxresdefault

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Had another heated debate with my business partner about getting rid of the truck. He's a bit of a fuddy duddy at times, but his most hilarious point was this:
"When you pull up in a truck people know you're there to work. First impressions are priceless."

While I get what he's saying, he seems to be under the impression that people's expectations change when you pull up in certain vehicles. My own experiences have shown this to not be the case as I've delivered parts on a motorcycle and travelled all over the USA doing field service out of a pelican box in a rental car.

Is there any veracity to his take? I don't do pluming, construction or well digging. I fix specialty machines on site.
Do you HAVE to trade-in the truck to buy the Model Y? If not, what's the harm in having both vehicles for awhile. After the partner gets comfortable with the Y, then you sell the truck.
Sponsored