Question about Tesla buying the Cybertruck back within a year for purchased price less mileage and recondition cost

OP
OP
jasper7821

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Jaguar F-Type, Porsche Macan GTS, Indian
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
See you are kind of changing what the title of the thread is, which is what many are responding to. If you don't take delivery you can hold for future. Sure. That is not the title of the thread however.

If you take delivery and drive the car you will lose the delivery fee taxes and anything else plus miles.

They aren't going to let you drive the car around for 0.25 a mile and then you walk in and say I want out. Give me my money back. They might offer, and who knows what that offer will be. You might assume you could sell for more. Maybe not. Tesla would like how much you sell it for above what you paid.
The thread title is still exactly what I’m curious about and nothing changed. They said I could pass and my money and my reservation would move to the end of the line.

The title is still the same and still wondering what would happen if Tesla were to buy it or not.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
jasper7821

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
Which is it. Taking delivery or not? Your thoughts have morphed as this thread has gone on.
It’s still the same, I’m probably taking delivery but not 100% sure yet.
that’s why I made the post to see what other thought.
If I turned in a perfect truck in 6 months or whatever. What roughy would I lose in wear/tear and reconditioning, less taxes, license, order, and destination fees.

OP
OP
jasper7821

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...and-recondition-cost.11908/page-2#post-238197

Then this is incorrect. Please read my post again. It was as you requested. A hypothetical if you took delivery.
Yes that’s incorrect, I didn’t read it correctly. Of course if I bought it and Tesla bought it back 6 months later, I’d lose the destination fee and 250 order fee and the other fees and taxes.
if I didn’t take delivery, there is no destination fee to lose, and my $1,350 deposit and spot would move to the end of the line.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
It’s still the same, I’m probably taking delivery but not 100% sure yet.
that’s why I made the post to see what other thought.
If I turned in a perfect truck in 6 months or whatever. What roughy would I lose in wear/tear and reconditioning, less taxes, license, order, and destination fees.
You cannot just turn in the truck.

You can sell the truck, but the sell will require you to follow the steps outlined in the contract.

The intent of the provision is not "Do I like it or not." The intent is to keep someone for scalping the truck at a higher price.

And depending on all sorts of factors, it may be that by the time that you try to sell it, the demand has dwindled, and the truck may have list 30% of its value.

OP
OP
jasper7821

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
You cannot just turn in the truck.

You can sell the truck, but the sell will require you to follow the steps outlined in the contract.

The intent of the provision is not "Do I like it or not." The intent is to keep someone for scalping the truck at a higher price.

And depending on all sorts of factors, it may be that by the time that you try to sell it, the demand has dwindled, and the truck may have list 30% of its value.
I know you can’t iust turn in the truck. My post was if Tesla were to buy it back at the price you paid as they state they will less fees, wear and tear and reconditioning. If the tuck depreciation 30%, then there’s no advantage for them to buy it back. But if for some reason, there’s people out there selling their foundation series at a high price without caring what Tesla says. Then maybe Tesla would buy it back at the sold price less fees wear and tear, reconditioning.

my only reason for posting is if I take delivery and 6 months to a year, my 2nd reservation comes up, if Tesla bought it back, what’s reasonable wear and tear and reconditioning costs.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I know you can’t iust turn in the truck. My post was if Tesla were to buy it back at the price you paid as they state they will less fees, wear and tear and reconditioning. If the tuck depreciation 30%, then there’s no advantage for them to buy it back. But if for some reason, there’s people out there selling their foundation series at a high price without caring what Tesla says. Then maybe Tesla would buy it back at the sold price less fees wear and tear, reconditioning.

my only reason for posting is if I take delivery and 6 months to a year, my 2nd reservation comes up, if Tesla bought it back, what’s reasonable wear and tear and reconditioning costs.
I think that you are still missing my point.

You will have to sell your truck to someone else. But before you do, you have to ask for Tesla's blessing. It the cost that you are selling it for is above the cost of a new truck, they will possibly disallow the sale and then give you a number that they will pay you. Who knows what it is, probably look at industry standards. They don't want to buy it back, but they don't want you to profit on it.

If your new truck becomes available and you want to trade the existing one in, then it will get traded as a used vehicle.

In any case, expect that you are going to lose money, a lot of it.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Read the contract carefully. Lots of misunderstanding of what it really says being spread around.

OP
OP
jasper7821

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
I think that you are still missing my point.

You will have to sell your truck to someone else. But before you do, you have to ask for Tesla's blessing. It the cost that you are selling it for is above the cost of a new truck, they will possibly disallow the sale and then give you a number that they will pay you. Who knows what it is, probably look at industry standards. They don't want to buy it back, but they don't want you to profit on it.

If your new truck becomes available and you want to trade the existing one in, then it will get traded as a used vehicle.

In any case, expect that you are going to lose money, a lot of it.
I totally understand 100% and not missing the point. I understand Tesla wants to make money and not let me make money (the reason they drafted this clause). If my 2nd order came up for non-FS and I traded the FS in, I know I’m going to lose money, (taxes, destination, PowerShare, mileage, wear/tear, reconditioning, and the others). But the wording "purchase it for the price on the final price sheet". I see that as including the FS 20k.
But, You never know, I usually look at everything with the glass 1/2 full and not 1/2 empty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jasper7821

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
Read the contract carefully. Lots of misunderstanding of what it really says being spread around.
I guess when it gets closer to delivery, I can ask Tesla for a clear explanation of the Cybertruck clause.

Tesla Cybertruck Question about Tesla buying the Cybertruck back within a year for purchased price less mileage and recondition cost IMG_0659
Sponsored