Question about Tesla buying the Cybertruck back within a year for purchased price less mileage and recondition cost

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Jaguar F-Type, Porsche Macan GTS, Indian
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
I have a AWD Foundation series on the way and still don't like the idea of the 20k Foundation Series and losing the $7,500 POS rebate (which I qualify for), BUT I love the truck so much I want it.
My original intention with my two reservations was to buy the first and when a revised one came out, sell the first and buy the 2nd and keep that one.
Now with the Foundation series and losing the rebate, I'm questioning what to do. I've already ordered and got my Powershare Home Backup eligibility email.

I'm curious how much money I'd lose by selling the truck back to Tesla. I wonder what they would roughly charge for wear/tear and reconditioning,
I'm extremely OCD about my vehicles and totally baby them and all the one's I've had and have still look pretty much new, so I wouldn't think reconditioning would be much at all. And they'd deduct the cost of the Powershare Home Backup as well since I'm sure they wouldn't want that back.

And another concern is what if in 6 months to a year, Tesla doesn't want it as the newer non-Foundation version has more range, standard features and all issues worked out and a refined truck that makes the Foundation series tank in value. Unless there's someone out there with unlimited income and has to have the first of most things (probably not).

So just pondering these things while I wait for my VIN.

Thought?
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I'm curious how much money I'd lose by selling the truck back to Tesla. I wonder what they would roughly charge for wear/tear and reconditioning,
I'm extremely OCD about my vehicles
under the contract language, the answer is "whatever they want to pay" - which is to say, the contract language has no objective metrics for determining the amount Tesla would offer. (It's one of the reasons I dislike the provision so much.)

from there, then, the question becomes basically "what would Tesla want to pay."

while not infallible, I'd think the best (but not necessarily great) metric would be to look at Tesla's track record for trade-in values.

if you go research *that,* and get a handle on how you feel Tesla handles *that,* then you'll basically arrive at as good a guess as you'll be able to have in terms of predicting. Which reads something like:

"based on the imperfect and unproven assumption that Tesla will treat CT buy-back valuations similarly to how they treat any Tesla trade-in valuation, then my best guess is Tesla will X, Y, Z."

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I have a AWD Foundation series on the way and still don't like the idea of the 20k Foundation Series and losing the $7,500 POS rebate (which I qualify for), BUT I love the truck so much I want it.
My original intention with my two reservations was to buy the first and when a revised one came out, sell the first and buy the 2nd and keep that one.
Now with the Foundation series and losing the rebate, I'm questioning what to do. I've already ordered and got my Powershare Home Backup eligibility email.

I'm extremely OCD about my vehicles and totally baby them and all the one's I've had and have still look pretty much new, so I wouldn't think reconditioning would be much at all. And they'd deduct the cost of the Powershare Home Backup as well since I'm sure they wouldn't want that back.

And another concern is what if in 6 months to a year, Tesla doesn't want it as the newer non-Foundation version has more range, standard features and all issues worked out and a refined truck that makes the Foundation series tank in value. Unless there's someone out there with unlimited income and has to have the first of most things (probably not).

So just pondering these things while I wait for my VIN.

Thought?
You can expect a refreshed version of the truck in about 5+ years. It's not going to be soon. But Tesla continuously refines their vehicles over time, they don't wait for Model Years.

There is a chance that you can back out of the order agreement, some have done it with success, some have failed.

Tesla won't automatically buy back your Cybertruck. If you read your order agreement, they tend to have "first dibs" at doing it.

You aren't going to see a major range change in 6 months. The truck has the same range as your Model 3 and that is more than enough to travel on.

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
In one year, you'll get market trade in value for a 2024 Cybertruck AWD with FSD. What this trade in value will be, who knows. A wild guess, maybe 80-85k.

Outside of a private sale, the accessories will add almost no value.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jasper7821

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
You can expect a refreshed version of the truck in about 5+ years. It's not going to be soon. But Tesla continuously refines their vehicles over time, they don't wait for Model Years.

There is a chance that you can back out of the order agreement, some have done it with success, some have failed.

Tesla won't automatically buy back your Cybertruck. If you read your order agreement, they tend to have "first dibs" at doing it.

You aren't going to see a major range change in 6 months. The truck has the same range as your Model 3 and that is more than enough to travel on.
Thank you, I wasn't talking about a refreshed version, but I'm sure 6 months down the line there will be some minor changes, maybe not range but little things they discovered that they add to make the truck better.
And I know Tesla won't automatically buy it back, probably only if the Foundation Series is sought out for and people are paying more trying to get one of them (doubtful)

I drive to California every 2-3 months and I stop 3 times for 20 minutes to charge, wish it was less. But I love the savings and it only cost about $60-$70 round trip. I took my F-Type last time and it was almost about $180 in gas, so I much rather drive a EV on a trip.

OP
OP
jasper7821

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
In one year, you'll get market trade in value for a 2024 Cybertruck AWD with FSD. The accessories will be worthless as far as resale goes.

What this value will be, who knows. A wild guess, maybe 80-85k.
I sell all my vehicles private party and would never trade one in unless the trade-in was more. There's no taxes on used private party sales here, so buyers would rather buy from private party than a dealer,

And I wish I had a crystal ball and would know what a Foundation Series value is in a year.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I sell all my vehicles private party and would never trade one in unless the trade-in was more. There's no taxes on used private party sales here, so buyers would rather buy from private party than a dealer,

And I wish I had a crystal ball and would know what a Foundation Series value is in a year.
The point here is that Tesla must approve ANY sale of the Cybertruck. It's a condition of the sale.

OP
OP
jasper7821

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
The point here is that Tesla must approve ANY sale of the Cybertruck. It's a condition of the sale.
Yes I understand that Tesla has first right. I'm just saying that I would not normally trade in a vehicle to a dealer. Even with the sales tax savings on whatever the trade in offer was, private party would still get much more.

OP
OP
jasper7821

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
If at the delivery you legitimately don’t like it for whatever reason, I would think they’d put your reservation back in the line but at the end. They can obviously easily give the truck to the next in line, I wouldn’t think they keep your $1,350.

CyberMiami

First Name
Omer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P, MXP, CT AWD
Country flag
Your best bet is to assume you'll hold it for a year. If you decide you don't want it for any reason, you'll probably do best renting it on turo full time and then selling it at the 1 year mark and using the proceeds to buy your forever CT with your 2nd reservation #.

Tmoney

First Name
Juliano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Many ways around it, you just have to know where to look.
I have friends who have flipped many cars in the past that manufacturers told buyers not To.

One of the simplest methods here is forming an LLC and having the prospective buyer “rent” it from this entity for the year duration.
This has been done for decades. Plenty of convo around this method.
Whatever you do, NEVER sell it back to the manufacturer. They’ll for sure lowball you to no end.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
That’s a valid point. I’m looking the lens of reviews. I like to read a lot of reviews both good and bad before I make a purchase. With this truck we have a lot less to use given not to many are in the hands of owners but so far the people who have posted have been very pleased with it. It has its cons like every vehicle does but I weigh reviews both good and bad. Unfortunately in this case we don’t have the option of testing unless you you can find an owner willing to let you check it out. Good luck with your decision.

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Country flag
If you get more than $65K from Tesla I'd be surprised. New ones will be $80K so a used one with some mileage will be at least 20-25% less. FSD, despite the hype, adds little to resale and Tesla can strip it (or add it themselves at no cost before selling it again) so likely won't pay you much, if anything, for that feature.

OP
OP
jasper7821

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
If you get more than $65K from Tesla I'd be surprised. New ones will be $80K so a used one with some mileage will be at least 20-25% less. FSD, despite the hype, adds little to resale and Tesla can strip it (or add it themselves at no cost before selling it again) so likely won't pay you much, if anything, for that feature.
That’s a lot of money in wear/tear and a reconditioning as if they want to purchase it, they pay you what they sold it to you for.

Tesla Cybertruck Question about Tesla buying the Cybertruck back within a year for purchased price less mileage and recondition cost IMG_0659
Sponsored