Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Titan XD
Occupation
Coordinator
Country flag
Exactly like this would be amazing! You could lower window and lay the whole thing down. Or just lower the window. Great options. Perfect actually.
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
The problem is that there is nowhere for the cover to go unless it somehow goes down through the wall but then you'd not be able to cover the bed. Suppose you needed the window/wall down but the cover in place... like if you were camping or were carrying sheetrock and it started to rain. No, the cover would have to be behind the window. Maybe if there were two walls, one with the window and one with the cover and they both either folded forward or maybe the cover wall folds into the bed somehow.

It's going to be tricky.

Nightf0rge

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Teacher, Blacksmith
Country flag
Would be great for camping with internal access to cab video, lighting and climate controls. Cover would still be in track below bed level with track unobstructed in gap between rear seat and vault. Hope this can be engineered and watertight, go Tesla team!

Fineshade

First Name
Niall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai ioniq
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A diagonal axis would enable longer pass through options.

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
Sorry guys, I'm afraid you guys are expecting too much from your 2021 Christmas prezzies. The Cybertruck can already do so much. I think we are getting too greedy and it might be a let down if Elon can't muster it. The back wall of the vault still needs to be dust proof (gravel roads) and be able to withstand a 2000 pound lift of lumber being pushed against it by a forklift. :);)

Nightf0rge

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Teacher, Blacksmith
Country flag
Sorry guys, I'm afraid you guys are expecting too much from your 2021 Christmas prezzies. The Cybertruck can already do so much. I think we are getting too greedy and it might be a let down if Elon can't muster it. The back wall of the vault still needs to be dust proof (gravel roads) and be able to withstand a 2000 pound lift of lumber being pushed against it by a forklift. :);)

That's what 10? series stainless is for, no aluminum truck bed around here! Any human-sized pass-through is good, Okay, I won't be upset when it doesn't transform into "Cyber-boat".

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
I'm going to guess that the current design of the tonneau is that the cover doesn't roll up into a cylindrical shape, but rather it parks itself in an l shape in the back wall and just under the bed or under the floorboard when stowed. It needs to be long enough to make that angular distance, so it couldn't just go under the bed alone in a straight shot...it would need some extra length.

Now, if it does roll up like we've seen some traditional tonneaus, then maybe there is something they could engineer to allow that wall to come down and the roll up to be under the plane and level of the bed or floor board. I would anticipate that any roll up would take up a bunch of space. There is also the caveat that we don't know how the structural integrity is tied to the dividing wall. The divider between cab and bed as a possible structural support for the exoskeleton has been mentioned in other threads.

My overall impression is that Elon stating "worth considering" is like anything else in development. You don't want to discount any design idea and you have to weigh value proposition, possibilities, and tradeoffs. It is his way of saying they are open to explore any design ideas from the customer, but that there is no guarantee. I'm going to predict right now that if CT didn't have integrated tonneau, then the pass-through might be viable, but that the tonneau and the pass-through are going to have conflict which may be insurmountable. I'd be happily surprised if they do come up with something, though. Anything beyond what has already been demonstrated or talked about as for sure capabilities will make me even more resolute that this will be a truly groundbreaking vehicle. I'm not even calling it a truck anymore. It's a vehicle. One that has so much functionality it's nearly in a class by itself...the cybertruck class.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Elon Musk Says Tesla Considering Pass-Through Load Floor for Cybertruck

• Tesla CEO Elon Musk responded to a Tweet pitching an idea for a fold-down window on the upcoming Cybertruck electric pickup.
  • The truck's rear window would need to roll down into the wall, which then could fold inward and be flush with the rear seats, which are also folded down.
The idea for the folding rear wall, which Musk says is worth considering, suggests that the Cybertruck's rear window would be able to roll down into the wall, which then could fold inward and be flush with the rear seats, which are also folded down. It's not far-fetched, because the Chevrolet Avalanche pickup had a drop-down rear wall similar to this.

Rear Pass Thru

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
With all the clever engineering in the CYBRTRK, I'm positive Elon's guys can figure out a way to just let the vault cover just scroll forward, up underneath the glass roof. That would be a temporary solution to the temporary need to fold the rear seats down. Also, the sliding vault cover while under the glass would provide a bit of privacy while one was camping or just sleeping overnight in the CYBRTRK. I am totally in love with the idea of extending the bed forward. If this were done, surely, the overall length of the truck can be made shorter. Even by three inches or so.
Excellent suggestion, but I don’t think it would be feasible. It would require a rail system on both sides of the roof interior and may impinge on headroom. They would also need to engineer the rail system and bed cover to remain rattle free when the vehicle is in motion. I am sure a lot of owners would prefer to have the sun protection, especially during the summer months when the sun is blazing through the glass roof.

Last edited:

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
Its A structure point but probably not a needed one. The Avalanche does the exact same thing. If they go this way I hope they can make it flat unlike the Avalanche.
I had an Avalanche and I used that feature a lot, I really hope CT incorporates that into final design.

Fineshade

First Name
Niall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai ioniq
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Beneath the truck, under side of battery pack. There will be a rare number of occasions when you are moving odd bits of long lumber that you need the ground clearance. Most times you won't.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
A fold down pass through panel would make the CT pickup a contractors dream come true. In addition to having an air compressor and electrical outlets you would be able carry all types of lumber, pipe, rebar, etc. without using a trailer.

I think Tesla should seriously consider offerIng a basic “contractor model” of the CT down the road. It would have 2 vinyl bucket seats, a washable floor, no back seat, steel wheels, a standard lumber rack that is lockable and removable, etc. at a lower price point.

Last edited:

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
A fold down pass through panel would make the CT pickup a contractors dream come true. In addition to having an air compressor and electrical outlets you would be able carry all types of lumber, pipe, rebar, etc. without using a trailer.

I think Tesla should seriously consider offerIng a basic “contractor model” of the CT down the road. It would have 2 vinyl bucket seats, a washable floor, no back seat, steel wheels, a standard lumber rack that is lockable and removable, etc. at a lower price point.
Not a bad idea, I’m pretty confident Tesla engineers have looked at this configuration and if tesla doesn’t offer this a 3rd party will.
i can see this configuration working in a lot of industry applications.
Sponsored