Riptide

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps
Country flag
This is kind of irrelevant but I wanted to ask how loud massive tires like the ones on the Cybertruck are at speed? How comfortable are they (jittery, bumpy, etc)? Thanks for any help!
It's not exactly about the size of the tires. There are in my experience two big contributors to noise.

The type of tire you select - if you choose a really open tread it's going to be louder than a closed tread designed for a sedan in dry conditions.

Next, if you do get open tread tires then you really, really, need to rotate them regularly, according to manufacturer specs. Otherwise you'll have a problem with cupping, and man does that get noisy.

Also, for any open tread tire it's going to be louder at higher speeds. Worse with cupping.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I don't think I've gotten 30k out of tires in decades.

-Crissa
You must drive like my wife drove the Z4 which the M3 replaced. I asked some of my friends how the hell the rear brake pads could be shot at around 35k I think. Normally cars wear the fronts, and at much higher miles. One friend said, "Wait, doesn't it use the rear brakes for traction control when you're sliding around corners?" Ah, yeah, that also goes with the 18k rear tire replacements. Sigh.

Also...truck tires tend to last much longer. I traded a Ram 2500 for our first Jeep, and it would get 60k on its tires, even towing quite a bit (12k pounds).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is one thing which I think would be quite nice, maintenance notifications. Ideally, the car should track which tire is where and inform you when rotation is due. If you drive like @Crissa, those notifications would be more frequent.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I have a CBR1100XX. I once put tires on it on Friday, rode a long canyon/twisty weekend, and needed a new rear on Sunday. 1500-ish miles. The sides were blue and twisted up. I've never seen more than 7k, but then, it's a much heavier bike than the R1.

OP
OP

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I have a CBR1100XX. I once put tires on it on Friday, rode a long canyon/twisty weekend, and needed a new rear on Sunday. 1500-ish miles. The sides were blue and twisted up. I've never seen more than 7k, but then, it's a much heavier bike than the R1.
I weighed less too.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
That's a problem further down the line for me. My immediate thought is how to much outlay for converting the rest to dually so I can carry that dang Lance 1172 if the CT is permitted as heavy duty. :rolleyes:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
That would exceed rated capacity by a lot. I can't see anyone being ready to do HD conversions on a CT for quite some time. That's a lot of liability to take on. And the powertrain warranty...toast.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
That would exceed rated capacity by a lot. I can't see anyone being ready to do HD conversions on a CT for quite some time. That's a lot of liability to take on. And the powertrain warranty...toast.
My question exactly on why Elon application to have the CT classified as MD and HD.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
My question exactly on why Elon application to have the CT classified as MD and HD.
One ton trucks don’t necessarily have to be duallys. I didn’t know they were looking to have it classified as heavy duty.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If you try to go dually, you are likely going to have to rebuild the whole rear end of the truck since it's being built around rear wheel steering. Lots of custom/ one off parts.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
One ton trucks don’t necessarily have to be duallys. I didn’t know they were looking to have it classified as heavy duty.
Am surprised myself when I read it. But then, CT is bigger and wider than the 1-tons out there, so... maybe.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
If you try to go dually, you are likely going to have to rebuild the whole rear end of the truck since it's being built around rear wheel steering. Lots of custom/ one off parts.
Same question on the render done in this forum(???).
Sponsored