ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
Rivian announced yesterday that a Tank Turn feature is coming to the R1T pickup and R1S SUV. Someone tweet at Musk and ask if Cybertruck will feature this. Could have some helpful real life usage like turning the truck around in a tight space.

Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
OOooOoOoo... thats... cool? ?

Snuups

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
It'e pretty hard to control but well, with 4 motors no problem.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
There are more uses for that kind of independent control than just spinning in place. Having separate control of the speed of each wheel can reduce the slip and under-steer in all kinds of tight turning situations, like parking lots. Especially if there is iffy traction. But even on dry pavement, there is plenty of wheel "slip" during tight turning this could help with.

Tesla may be able to do some amount of differential steering with just independent control of the two rear wheels in the trimotor configuration.

Many tractors can control the two rear wheel brakes independently (separate manual pedals for the two sides), and that alone helps a lot with steering control on dirt, snow, or ice.

TeslaFanS13

First Name
Tam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Model 3 Owner
Country flag
Please excuse my ignorance but how does this work? The wheels don't appear to be turning. Hmm...

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I actually think this is very dumb. Can someone please elaborate what makes this so useful?

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
donuts for dummies

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
I actually think this is very dumb. Can someone please elaborate what makes this so useful?
The idea is if you're off roading (in mud or dirt or snow) then you can perform an extremely tight turn, say around a 90Âş corner that has trees/rocks on both sides, or a 180Âş to head back where you came from. Not very useful but still a cool feature. Glad automakers are pushing the envelop and taking the time to add these neat little features that are possible with the hardware that's already there. Feel like Tesla has been great at this so far and its good to see others getting on board.

Camper Van Someren

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS, 2015 Sienna AWD, 2002 Ranger
Country flag
The idea is if you're off roading (in mud or dirt or snow) then you can perform an extremely tight turn, say around a 90Âş corner that has trees/rocks on both sides, or a 180Âş to head back where you came from. Not very useful but still a cool feature. Glad automakers are pushing the envelop and taking the time to add these neat little features that are possible with the hardware that's already there. Feel like Tesla has been great at this so far and its good to see others getting on board.
Actually it can be very useful off-road. Many Jeep trails are very tight with brush or rocks or cliffs on the sides and no shoulder. I have personally gotten to spots where I couldn’t continue (rough trail, or tree fallen across) and needed to reverse a half mile to find a spot for a 6-point 180. With the CT’s length that 6-point 180 could be more like 10-point.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Actually it can be very useful off-road. Many Jeep trails are very tight with brush or rocks or cliffs on the sides and no shoulder. I have personally gotten to spots where I couldn’t continue (rough trail, or tree fallen across) and needed to reverse a half mile to find a spot for a 6-point 180. With the CT’s length that 6-point 180 could be more like 10-point.
FALSE, with the CT you will just make your own trail. :cool:

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
This assumes that the material beneath you is uniform and the slip is the same at all wheels. More likely that when performing this manuever the vehicle will drift to side with most traction.
Sponsored