Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What sort of trailer was it, though? The aero matters.

-Crissa
How about a Tesla trailer with motor and it’s own battery connected so the CT will control both, dam I’ve missed my mediation again.
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Towing at 73 mph your range will drop significantly vs Towing at 55 mph. Just takes longer to get to your destination. So the chose is, wait longer at Supercharging stations or sit longer behind the wheel (Yoke) while towing.

N.ICE
Tow at 73 mph, hope you don’t need to stop on a dime. Pretty sure tow speed limit is 55, who pays attention to that.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
What sort of trailer was it, though? The aero matters.

-Crissa
I have reservations for both a CT and an Aptera. I am going to get a two wheel trailer (?) to tow the Aptera because I don't think it can be flat towed. I will get the tent attachment for the Aptera and I can leave the CT hooked up to a level 2 charger and look around or get groceries with the Aptera. If I camp at 4 or 5 PM and stay hooked up til 8 or 9 AM the CT should be all charged up even with a level 2 charger. The aptera will be in the sun all day so it should regain the few miles I will put on it while camped. If I don't put too much stuff in front of the Aptera to keep road debris from damaging it the combination should tow pretty well. The other advantage of this plan is I can configure one of the vehicles to sleep in and the other to store grills and bikes and coolers and the like. I will let you guys know how well it works. That is, if my wife will let me go.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Towing at 73 mph your range will drop significantly vs Towing at 55 mph. Just takes longer to get to your destination. So the chose is, wait longer at Supercharging stations or sit longer behind the wheel (Yoke) while towing.

N.ICE
Hopefully something like ABRP will be updated to calculate the optimum driving speed relative to arrival time, charging stops, etc. "If you go 5 MPH slower you will actually arrive sooner."

Tow at 73 mph, hope you don’t need to stop on a dime. Pretty sure tow speed limit is 55, who pays attention to that.
Depends on the state, which pretty well proves that it's not about safety. I live in AZ where there is no special towing limit. I can legally do 75 down I-10 to CA. And I'm confident that my 3500 pound TT is safe at that speed. As soon as I cross the border, the limit is 55 in CA.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Good point, the roads in CA are shit, so maybe our safer roads warrant a higher limit.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Which is neither the only measure of safety, nor directly meaningful unless you include other factors.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Are any companies working on trailers with motors and batteries in the flatbed? I feel like a trailer that provided some thrust, reserve charge and brake Regen would be a huge change.

If the CT had a linkup for long haul towing that enabled linking like that it would be worth every penny.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Are any companies working on trailers with motors and batteries in the flatbed? I feel like a trailer that provided some thrust, reserve charge and brake Regen would be a huge change.

If the CT had a linkup for long haul towing that enabled linking like that it would be worth every penny.
When you start crossing the line from just a trailer to something with its own "vehicle" capabilities, the cost factor changes very quickly. I like to fantasize about a world where this makes sense, but I just can't see it. A lot of the point of trailers is that you concentrate the expense into the tow vehicle. This is particularly important for things you use only a few times a year or once a month. Like my motorcycle and off-road trailer cost $2800, and would see duty about ten times a year, from fall to spring, when the weather was good. It would sit all summer. What would that cost if it were powered?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Which is neither the only measure of safety, nor directly meaningful unless you include other factors.
Like overly permissive traffic laws that allow cars with trailers to go too fast.

Or the fact that Arizona has a lot more retirees.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Old incompetent drivers are a big problem. Also, deaths aren't the only measure. My mom was rear-ended by a drunk in CA. She lived. 20 years later she's totally incapacitated and facing more back surgery.
Sponsored