Robotaxi Cybertruck fleet with Income Generation Purpose?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
In the interim would you be interested in some real estate investment opportunities?
Sponsored

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
Anyone thinking that he is going to pay for his CT by putting it into robo taxi service needs to think about this but he shouldn't have to think long or hard. You can't have robo taxi without Level 5 autopilot and the technology for that is probably 10 years off at least. It may never be achieved.

Once Level 5 is technically feasible the regulatory approval process can begin. Another 10 years? Autopilot will eventually have to make decisions which will result in either the death of the passengers or someone on the street. What should it do if
A)The people in the vehicle are cardiac surgeons on their way to operate on a nice little girl and the people on the street are homeless on the way to pick up their welfare checks
B)The people in the vehicle are the homeless on the way to pick up their welfare checks and the people in the street are the cardiac surgeons.

It's a rhetorical question. Tesla would need to develop some sort of arrogant aura sensor but I hope you all get the point that the regulatory bodies will have to address questions like this. A much simpler that this is how many 9's reliability do we need but that is not an easy question to answer either?

Then comes your insurance company.

If you expect to make money with your CT you are going to have to become a Lyft or Uber driver.

Feel free, of course, to use a much more optimistic interpretation of the current state of the art in order to justify the purchase to your wives.
[/Q

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
Elon appears to be very serious when he says FSD is very close and will be compete by this year. He's been known to be off on his delivery dates in the past but I doubt if someone who meets with his FSD Team every week is off by 10 years. All your points however are reasonable.

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
Is it really a risk to bet on Elon with a $100 fully refundable reservation fee? Especially considering that he promised the price of FSD will continue to go up until it is not affordable. Elon estimated the value of FSD to reach $100,000.

OP
OP

Roger

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, CyberTruck
Occupation
Insurance Broker, Investor/Trader, Future RoboTaxi fleet owner.
Country flag
Is it really a risk to bet on Elon with a $100 fully refundable reservation fee? Especially considering that he promised the price of FSD will continue to go up until it is not affordable. Elon estimated the value of FSD to reach $100,000.
Elon has said previously that they would stop selling Teslas to general public once the FSD level 5 is working & The Tesla Network is fully operational.

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
Elon has said previously that they would stop selling Teslas to general public once the FSD level 5 is working & The Tesla Network is fully operational.
Right! So its not advisable to be waiting for it to all work and then try and buy. It will be too expensive or not even available!

Balthezor

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, 2020 Model Y
Country flag
If FSD might be completed by the end of the year, hell, the end of 2025, is legislation going to be ready for it? Which cities will allow it? Which states? Is it all or nothing approach to FSD? Would they even allow you to taxi people around using FSD? What's insurance going to be like? So many questions for me. Tesla might be there, but is the government there? The speed the government works at, I am not very convinced.

In my opinion, I don't think FSD will be available for use in the US for 5+ years. I hope I am wrong.

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
Me too. I'm hoping Elon knows something all the analysts don't. like the exponential rate the machine learning is improving. There is also more talk about how there is no laws preventing full self driving right now. Maybe we dodge the regulatory bullet by just taking personal responsibility.

Are Self-Driving Cars Legal in Your State? - Lifewire

"Nowhere in the United States is it strictly illegal to own or operate a self-driving car. Many states have passed laws regulating or authorizing the use of autonomous vehicles to prepare for the changes that self-driving cars may bring. But no state has outright banned the technology."

Last edited:

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
Is anyone planning to buy a Tesla with the sole purpose of earning income from deploying it as a robotaxi? According to Tesla it could earn you as much as $30,000 per year.
I am trying to work out some creative financing to purchase 12 CTs. A home loan can get me 2/3 there. Anyone have any creative financing solutions or know who has the lowest interests rates?

There is a chance that the CT will be worth a lot more then the pre-order purchase price, especially if the pre-order price stays at 39.9K. Some think it will go up regardless of your place in line. We already know that the FSD is going to keep going up and up. Maybe part of the financing strategy is to convince the lender that there is no risk since the CTs are collateral and worth more than the loan? What do you smart people think?

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
tl;dr:
My biggest concern over the use of my CT for robotaxi is what if someone wants to robotaxi it to a full-on construction site where it will be used to haul rocks, run the on-board compressor and 220v/110v outlets all day to power their tools and stuff?
Naw, sorry, I think mine will become a Garage Queen and Club Scene profiler, heh heh...

OP
OP

Roger

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, CyberTruck
Occupation
Insurance Broker, Investor/Trader, Future RoboTaxi fleet owner.
Country flag
I am trying to work out some creative financing to purchase 12 CTs. A home loan can get me 2/3 there. Anyone have any creative financing solutions or know who has the lowest interests rates?

There is a chance that the CT will be worth a lot more then the pre-order purchase price, especially if the pre-order price stays at 39.9K. Some think it will go up regardless of your place in line. We already know that the FSD is going to keep going up and up. Maybe part of the financing strategy is to convince the lender that there is no risk since the CTs are collateral and worth more than the loan? What do you smart people think?
Possibly financing would start looking much easier as you get near to the point when you actually need it. Tim, I noticed that you joined the FB group for RoboTaxi Fleets. If you post this there in the FB group, there will be more engagement with more like minded people.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I am quite curious how robotaxi will operate.

unless the vehicle controls (IE Steering brakes, etc) are disabled in some fashion, what would stop someone from sitting behind the wheel and purposefully crashing a vehicle.

unless I am mistaken there are still mechanical linkages between the steering wheel and the front tires, so how would you even disable that?

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
I am quite curious how robotaxi will operate.

unless the vehicle controls (IE Steering brakes, etc) are disabled in some fashion, what would stop someone from sitting behind the wheel and purposefully crashing a vehicle.

unless I am mistaken there are still mechanical linkages between the steering wheel and the front tires, so how would you even disable that?
Great questions. I think dangerous or damaging actions (overriding FSD or vomiting) would be fully covered by insurance like Uber or Lyft uses. Your credit card and verified identity on file with all those sensors and cabin cameras should be a significant deterrent as well. :sneaky:

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4.9L, Chevy Volt, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
If (when) FSD is fully realized:
~ Option A: Robotaxi fleet
~ Option B: Long distance transportation and cargo hauler (for tri-motor)

Until then:
~ Option C: Operate the trucks under any conventional business model where a fleet of ICE trucks or other vehicles would be in use, where the cost of operating the CTs will be vastly less than the ICE competitors. pug
~ Option E: (worst case scenario) get a refund on most of my reservations and enjoy my personal CYBRTRK.

I'm so glad I found this thread! I was starting to wonder why we weren't talking more about this! Any links to other discussions on this topic would be much appreciated.
I have my orders in and I am absolutely planning to operate a fleet of autonomous trucks.
Sponsored

Last edited: