Robotaxi Cybertruck fleet with Income Generation Purpose?

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
I
What I don't hear people discussing for the whole Robo-Taxi debate is that Elon (Tesla) is planning on making smaller and cheaper cars. Wouldn't these actually be a much better solution for the Robo-Taxi fleet. Wouldn't these cars kind of make the CT a very expensive option? Although, possible a niche market for Robo-Taxi.

I was just wondering if anyone has put this piece of the puzzle into their thinking?
One big factor that's talked a lot about (mainly for construction, contractors, etc) with CT vs any other vehicle is durability. It's not touched on a lot for robotaxi use, unfortunately. The 25k coupe is going to be nice and affordable for a starting price and all, but by then FSD will be much more expensive and getting it with your CT now could actually be cheaper. Plus it's rumored to be a coupe (or at least confirmed smaller sedan) and won't be able to handle larger, older, or luggage-bound passengers easily and therefore would miss opportunities.

But going back to your question, the CT body (and likely interior from ride along comments) are built to be extremely durable! Someone door dinging, fender bending, etc. a normal car is easy, it can cost thousands to repair those on newer vehicles. Tearing up the interior can be a very costly mistake. Examples go on and on! With any other vehicle, those repairs could cost you thousands and take your car out of service for weeks. With CT, most of those scenarios are absorbed by the enhanced durability, resulting in no time off and no expensive repairs.

My dad's a contractor. The most expensive expense he has isn't gas, it's repairing damage caused by his employees to the trucks. Construction trucks take a beating! He's excited for the CT because it'll eliminate almost all of the down time his vehicles have, let alone the repair bills.

Sure, you can let your robotaxi keep driving around while being all dinged up, but I'm sure Tesla will mandate a level of vehicle safety, cleanliness, and professionalism that separates their fleet from Uber, Lyft, and taxis. Speaking of which, did you know Uber and Lyft also have vehicle standards that you as a driver must adhere to? If your car is all beat up, it won't pass inspection. If it gets beat up and a rider complains, you have to fix it and get it inspected, or get off the platform. They have standards because riders don't want to get into sketchy vehicles.

Don't believe me? Try this little trick: how would you feel if 2 identical taxis with identical fares were in front of you, one with dings and scuffs and the other without any blemishes? Which would you get into and why?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Being as most taxis aren't owned by the driver that's in them, I wouldn't care about scuffs. Having been a driver, I know most scuffs have nothing to do with the driver anyhow - just being on the road exposes you to idiots and random chance.

My current car has: Hit and run on the freeway; hit and run while parked (guy let it roll down the hill); brake line pulled off by road debris; dog hit the back bumper and tore a hole in it; door hit by someone in a parking lot; tail hit by someone in a parking lot. And the one thing we did break: cracked the skid plate on a sand drift on a road.

7:1 damage had nothing to do with my driver skill. Heck, one happened while no one was in the car!

-Crissa

ExpOpp

First Name
Exp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Occupation
RoboTaxiest?
Country flag
Is anyone getting more than one Cybertruck and planning to use it exclusively as a robotaxi or other rental purposes? Interested to start a thread/group to share ideas, collaborate on plans/approaches, etc.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Firefighter & Owner of NW Brush Clearing LLC
Country flag
I'm analyzing the business case for operating a few trucks on the Tesla Network once FSD goes live. Income/Expense estimates I've seen are all over the place. A lot of variables left to pin down.

Question for the group though- what's your least favorite part of using Uber/Lyft?
1) The drivers
2) The vehicles
3) The platform

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
Is anyone planning to buy a Tesla with the sole purpose of earning income from deploying it as a robotaxi? According to Tesla it could earn you as much as $30,000 per year.
I have reservations for 12 cyber trucks for that purpose. I reserve them every two months to at a time for six months. The trick will be financing of course. Maybe Tesla will offer financing for those who are going to use it solely on the Robotaxi network. I can dream!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Question for the group though- what's your least favorite part of using Uber/Lyft?
3) The platform
This is easy. The platform. Expressly violating the law, both labor and safety, while excluding legal competition is the worst part.

-Crissa

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I have reservations for 12 cyber trucks for that purpose. I reserve them every two months to at a time for six months. The trick will be financing of course. Maybe Tesla will offer financing for those who are going to use it solely on the Robotaxi network. I can dream!
Question, are you going to position them all I. Orem, UT or are you putting them throughout UT or other states? At 18 square miles and a population of 98,000 I am concerned you have an over concentration in your market.

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
Question, are you going to position them all I. Orem, UT or are you putting them throughout UT or other states? At 18 square miles and a population of 98,000 I am concerned you have an over concentration in your market.
I’m waiting to see how it all shakes out for concentration. I believe that the Tesla network will be very popular yet not too many will be willing to have their cars available during peak times since the want to use them. But we will see. I also think that the cybertruck will be uniquely popular for Anything from a Home Depot run to weekend camping.

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Student
Country flag
A lot of people in this thread are stating a position on when they think Tesla Network (for those unaware of the intended ridesharing app name) will be available. And as far as I can tell, no one has evidence for their claim. Some references made regarding projected time frames Elon has made. That's about as close to evidence as anyone has gotten.

Waymo is operating in Phoenix, Arizona since October 2020. They're collecting fares from designated beta testers. Waymo was operating even longer on Google property in California.

Zoox, who was bought by Amazon for 1.2 billion last summer, is currently beta testing, without a driver, in San Francisco and Las Vegas.

Mobileye was bought by Intel years ago for well over 10 billion. Mobileye used to be part of Tesla, which is likely why its valuation was so much higher than Zoox.

Uber has invested billions into self-driving (keep in mind, Uber only turned a profit within the last few quarters) and eventually gave up when someone else bought their software company.

Virtually everyone in the business is acknowledging that Tesla will be the first to achieve Level 5 Autonomy. The only exception I'm aware of is that Waymo claims to be ahead of Tesla. In April 2019 (Autonomy Day), Elon claimed Tesla Network would be 'feature complete' by the end of 2020. That didn't happen -- this is after all Elon time. At the beginning of 2021, he said it will be 'feature complete' by the end of this year.

Stop pretending you understand what's happen. As far as I can tell, none of you do.

Listen very carefully -- Tesla is the only company that intends to use privately owned vehicles as a part of its fleet. That means all these other companies will be running some type of Robotaxi using a vehicle that CANNOT be driven by a human and will not be privately owned. Tesla is the only exception. These other companies, who are competing with Tesla, know that Tesla is winning. And despite this, they were still willing to buy Zoox, Mobileye, and develop Waymo for billions of dollars. This is going to be a trillion dollar industry.

If that point hasn't landed, you need to read that last paragraph again. If it still hasn't landed, just do the rest of us a favor and stop making claims about autonomy. You aren't qualified to have an opinion.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Waymo is operating in Phoenix, Arizona since October 2020. They're collecting fares from designated beta testers. Waymo was operating even longer on Google property in California.
Waymo is taking rides from the public now. It's an open beta. No more safety drivers.
https://waymo.com/apply/

They've been running on the streets between Google campuses in not-testing-mode for about five years. That was a different and specific vehicle from Waymo's full-sized cars. They were a little two-seat pod with a round instrument atop.

-Crissa

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Student
Country flag
Waymo is taking rides from the public now. It's an open beta. No more safety drivers.
https://waymo.com/apply/

They've been running on the streets between Google campuses in not-testing-mode for about five years. That was a different and specific vehicle from Waymo's full-sized cars. They were a little two-seat pod with a round instrument atop.

-Crissa
Technically there are safety drivers who are remote and can take over if an unresolvable situation occurs. To what degree are they watching, I have no idea. But the total fleet is 600 Chrysler Vans and supposedly half of those are presently on the road in Phoenix. I have my doubts they are rotating 300 people who are paying attention 100% of the time.

Thanks for updating me on rides available to the public.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
My CyberTruck will not be used as a taxi, other than carting me, my friends, or loved ones around from place to place.

Now, this is not to say that I will not entertain the thought of buying additional CyberTrucks to rent out as taxis. I am diversifying my income streams, and that may well be a good additional stream one day. If so, I might consider buying a mix represented by 6 CyberTrucks trimotor, 10 Model S Plaids, and 4 Roadsters. Then, hire a college kid to program my system to self operate, complete with scheduled maintenance and other unscheduled events.

It could be an amazing way to have a secondary car when I want, just schedule to use the roadster for a sexy beach outing, or a model S for a night out with my woman. peace

Glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Cyber T, S , Infinty, Buick, sligshot, Goldwi
Occupation
Diamond coated surgical burrs
Country flag
I think It’s nieve to believe the technology will be in place by delivery. I know we all like to dream, but financially one should make decisions with what is definitive. Robo taxi at delivery is not definitive. Just my opinion. Maybe I’m too practical ?‍♂
It will not be ready, I have a 2017 S with all the bells and so on, I have many areas my s gets confused, and this has not gotten better in those same spots yet, one is where the roads meet and they are all downhill to the intersection, one way has no stop, my car can not figure out what to do, I test this area when I know I won't cause any issues with anyone, waiting or coming close. I also don't get it when people say the FSD caused the accident, we are to be on the lookout and have hands on the wheel at all times.
Sponsored