Robotaxi Cybertruck fleet with Income Generation Purpose?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'm just trying to get a feel for when people who are more optimistic than I think that real robotaxi service might be feasible. Maybe I'll set up a poll.
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Personal SWAG opinion, do not use for investing speculation…

Tesla will be ready in 3 years.
Government will allow on-ramp to offramp in 5 years
Street level, I believe most of the traditional auto industry will need to be on board, they move too slowly due to rightful recall concerns. I do not see this happening in less than 10 years.

Rationale, Tesla is committed to bringing the technology to fruition and a motivated party, where Tesla currently is at, can deliver sooner. Trust is built over time and public acceptance will slowly convert. Once pressure builds, the dam will break and acceptance will become widespread in a relative blink of the eye.

Quote me if this comes to pass, help me bury this post if I am wrong.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I did put up a poll and so am not going to comment on any of your points. I will mention that Tesla "Navigate on Autopilot" already does on-ramp to off ramp including lane changes to get around slow drivers but the driver must have his hands on the wheel the whole time as it doesn't always work as well as we might like.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I did put up a poll and so am not going to comment on any of your points. I will mention that Tesla "Navigate on Autopilot" already does on-ramp to off ramp including lane changes to get around slow drivers but the driver must have his hands on the wheel the whole time as it doesn't always work as well as we might like.
On-ramp to offramp, complete hands free driving so I may use the truck as a mobile office during my freeway commute.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You can do that if you really want to (Tesla really needs a more sophisticated driver attention detector). If it doesn't work out quite the way you intended your family can always sue Tesla just as the late Mr. Huang's is doing.

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
You can do that if you really want to (Tesla really needs a more sophisticated driver attention detector). If it doesn't work out quite the way you intended your family can always sue Tesla just as the late Mr. Huang's is doing.
Not the way the current state system is implemented.

I have two areas on my freeway commute I am interested in the system handling. One being a large dip in the carpool lane, eventually should be fixed in 10 years. Another is south bound on the 405 and 10. There is a blind curve where traffic backs up beyond line of sight. Curious to see if a cautionary deceleration takes place just before the blind curve.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Not the way the current state system is implemented.
Yes, actually you can. I am not going to post here how it's done but I'll bet you can figure it out in a couple of minutes. Hold on a sec - your profile indicates that you are not currently a Tesla owner so let me rephrase that. If you had been driving a Tesla in autopilot mode for a while you would easily figure out how to do it.

I have two areas on my freeway commute I am interested in the system handling. One being a large dip in the carpool lane, eventually should be fixed in 10 years. Another is south bound on the 405 and 10. There is a blind curve where traffic backs up beyond line of sight. Curious to see if a cautionary deceleration takes place just before the blind curve.
What you are suggesting is that the traffic alerting system could put the autopilot into some sort of extra alert state when an approaching backup is reported. That's a good idea but AFAIK it is not done at this level of implementation. The system does not respond until the radar or a camera detects a closing object.

Noncorporeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2010 Toyota Venza, 2007 Honda Element, 2021 CT dual motor
Country flag
I purchased the FSD addon mainly so i could just have the car drive me around, not primarily for the robo taxi service, but i will definitely do that. My main question is, could you get your car to come drive to you? For example, say I went to the airport with uber or something, but when i get back to the airport after my trip, could the car just come drive to the airport to come get me? Im sure this will be a feature, but how soon do you think we will see these kinds of features? Can't wait to have my CT come and chauffeur me around when i don't want to drive!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
If RoboTaxi were available and you wanted a ride home from the airport you would call the RoboTaxi company and order up a RoboCab. Why would that not work if you are the RoboTaxi company?

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Yes, actually you can. I am not going to post here how it's done but I'll bet you can figure it out in a couple of minutes. Hold on a sec - your profile indicates that you are not currently a Tesla owner so let me rephrase that. If you had been driving a Tesla in autopilot mode for a while you would easily figure out how to do it.
I know how to game the system, using the system in that manner would increase liability on my part. I am waiting on the system release that does not require me to put torque on the steering wheel and I do not nee to pay attention to the road. When that is released, I can do mobile meetings. I will use the system in the current state, when truck is purchased, with relaxed attention to the road, and not a knee providing resistance.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
What you are suggesting is that the traffic alerting system could put the autopilot into some sort of extra alert state when an approaching backup is reported. That's a good idea but AFAIK it is not done at this level of implementation. The system does not respond until the radar or a camera detects a closing object.
Additional logic to replicate human decision, traveling high speed around a blind bend, slow down to allow greater reaction time, use available norms, time of day to modify decision and augment with external data sources when available. Add user input logic overrides to allow more caution in certain areas of commuting travel. (Not to allow easing constraints)

If this is not already in place. I will trust but will not believe until personally validating.

When I receive the vehicle, I will be performing many validating tests.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
None of this will be in place in my lifetime and probably not in yours and I don't even know how old you are.

I often suggest that guys waiting for a CT go to one of those online rent-a-Tesla sites, rent one for the weekend and make a short road trip in order to get some familiarity with the whole concept of BEV: driving, charging and, especially in this case, what autopilot can do. The only danger in doing this is you may find yourself at the nearest Tesla showroom first thing Monday morning.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
None of this will be in place in my lifetime and probably not in yours and I don't even know how old you are.
My condolences for the short time you have left. (Said in jest ?)

Glass half full over here.