First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Toyota Seinna, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Then it's settled. Well, I guess I'm going to work for Tesla...
So you're moving from San Diego to Austin, or are you going to work at the design studio in Hawthorne? ;)

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F350 Platinum, 2010 Toyota Prius, 2021 Tesla Cybertruck (reserved)
Occupation
Nuclear Operations Analyst
Country flag
Both, M3 and MY are conventional body designs and manufacturing assembly, Cybertruck on the other hand is a completely new beast, primarily from body manufacturing standpoint. There is no one in the world who has experience manufacturing a car exoskeleton, no quality control procedures for this type of body. On top of that: ALON windshield/windows, probably new wiring system, new battery, the amount of innovation inside the CT is unknown but Elon himself put a very high bar for the whole package, as he says it should "kick ass". Don't get me wrong, I am a TSLA investor with x5 CT reservations but the gap between the design of the CT and current manufacturing processes is immense, way beyond M3/MY
Oh, I know they are different. I'm sure that Tesla learned a lot while ramping up production of the M3 and MY. They are learning what works and does not work. The exoskeleton is different but all the other components are pretty similar to their existing vehicles... well, as far as production and assembly are concerned at least. The processes and quality concerns are maturing now and will move right over to the CT line. It'll benefit from Tesla's experience with the other cars while offering new challenges. I fully expect the first CT off the line will be better by far than the first M3 and even My off the line.

Advertisement

Advertisement