RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
Without the giga press up and running producing the giga castings, I see no point in this exercise. Do they need more prototypes? With actual production slated to start in less than a year? I think not.

Also, crash tests without the giga casting would be invalid.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Joe’s footage this morning shows 2 gigapress foundation pads ready for concrete and there are 2 ships that have come from Italy that might be carrying a gigapress. Granted that it would take a couple months to get one functional it at least seems like good news. I have no idea about this rumor, of course, but your points are valid.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Without the giga press up and running producing the giga castings, I see no point in this exercise. Do they need more prototypes? With actual production slated to start in less than a year? I think not.

Also, crash tests without the giga casting would be invalid.
Difference is they now have much of the equipment in place and the engineers who will be in charge of the assembly line long term will be working on it. Previous prototypes were likely using CNC parts instead of the machines used to stamp out the final truck.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Difference is they now have much of the equipment in place and the engineers who will be in charge of the assembly line long term will be working on it. Previous prototypes were likely using CNC parts instead of the machines used to stamp out the final truck.
I understand and agree with your summary, but there just aren't that many CT parts that need to be stamped. That said, seats, plastic, drivetrains, suspension, displays, sensors, etc. (and general assembly) can all be worked on, and with the sample exoskeletons they can begin work on the BIW which will require what stampings they can create. It remains to be seen how much they have in place at GA and how much is coming from Fremont, but as they get the machines and commission them they will replace imported parts with manufactured parts.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I understand and agree with your summary, but there just aren't that many CT parts that need to be stamped. That said, seats, plastic, drivetrains, suspension, displays, sensors, etc. (and general assembly) can all be worked on, and with the sample exoskeletons they can begin work on the BIW which will require what stampings they can create. It remains to be seen how much they have in place at GA and how much is coming from Fremont, but as they get the machines and commission them they will replace imported parts with manufactured parts.
I think there is value in manually putting together all of the end parts created by the actual equipment to be used. Stamping, seat assembly, folding exoskeleton, etc.

If they don’t have a lot of that on site, then not so much. Agree with you that building a few more pure, hand built prototypes doesn’t make a ton of sense.

Honestly not sure. Tesla management said there would be a “Beta” truck soon. I suspect that comment and this rumor are 1 and the same. They are building the beta trucks.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Joe’s footage this morning shows 2 gigapress foundation pads ready for concrete
I think those two individual pads are actually for ONE press. It's about 100' long, I think this has to be horizontal vs vertical like the other press'.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
I think there is value in manually putting together all of the end parts created by the actual equipment to be used. Stamping, seat assembly, folding exoskeleton, etc.

If they don’t have a lot of that on site, then not so much. Agree with you that building a few more pure, hand built prototypes doesn’t make a ton of sense.

Honestly not sure. Tesla management said there would be a “Beta” truck soon. I suspect that comment and this rumor are 1 and the same. They are building the beta trucks.
I'm sure the beta will be there 12.1
OG is stuck in Petersen, who knows where the other 2 known photos are(I think there's only one more. The doors on Cyber Rodeo were just swapped while it was on stand during event, plus the one that went on stage)

They clearly can in fact make a functioning truck, which is fully drivable.

I just and hugely skeptical of a volume of any kind.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm sure the beta will be there 12.1
OG is stuck in Petersen, who knows where the other 2 known photos are(I think there's only one more. The doors on Cyber Rodeo were just swapped while it was on stand during event, plus the one that went on stage)

They clearly can in fact make a functioning truck, which is fully drivable.

I just and hugely skeptical of a volume of any kind.
I think anywhere between 1 and 30 is possible. 30 is perhaps more than they might need, but 1 isnt really enough to test anything.

They might be sending some off to get crash tested. Seems a bit early for that, but possible.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
I think anywhere between 1 and 30 is possible. 30 is perhaps more than they might need, but 1 isnt really enough to test anything.

They might be sending some off to get crash tested. Seems a bit early for that, but possible.
I don't think you can crash test a non spec vehicle however? Like, don't you have to send that with presses under it? It has to be the release model vehicle? I don't know anything about crash testing, or vehicle manufacturing.. but

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

What if Tesla could sell the "Beta" trucks as special limited editions?

How much would thirty (30) very wealthy (million/billionaires) buyers pay to own one to use on roads on private property, off-road or just sit in their private museum ($400K, $500K, $2 million)?

How much would Jay Leno pay?

Last edited:

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Great 30 CTs. That's almost insulting to the people who will have waited 5 years. This Twitter fiasco is certainly going to slow down the push to get the CT going. Why is it that it seems like the CT is an extremely low priority for Elon. It seems like all the other vehicles there was frequent information about Elon in the weeds figuring out how to make it the best ever and with the CT its like its just delayed again, they are worried about cost and maybe next year we will start producing it. It just really sucks.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
What if Tesla could sell the "Beta" trucks as special limited editions?

How much would thirty (30) very wealthy (million/billionaires) buyers pay to own one to use on roads on private property, off-road or just sit in their private museum ($400K, $500K, $2 million)?

How much would Jay Leno pay?
Thats a lot of tooling for a special beta version.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
These are 10 of the most expensive new cars for sale in 2022
Got a few million you need help spending? These automotive marvels can help you exhaust your wallet plenty quick
By Tolu Akinshete
Publishing date: Jun 22, 2022
https://driving.ca/car-culture/lists/these-are-10-of-the-most-expensive-new-cars-for-sale-in-2022

Most Expensive Luxury EV: Lucid Air Grand Touring Performance — US$180,500
Most Expensive SUV: Bentley Bentayga EWB Azure Edition — US$241,900
Most Expensive Track Special: Mercedes-AMG GT Track Series — US$405,000
Most Expensive Luxury Sedan: Rolls-Royce Ghost Black Badge — US$443,000
Most Expensive Hybrid Supercar: Ferrari SF90 Spider — US$558,000
SSC Tuatara — $2 million
Pininfarina Battista — US$2.4 million
Lamborghini Countach LP800-4 — US$2.6 million
Bugatti Chiron Super Sport 300+ — US$3.9 million
Rolls-Royce Boat Tail — US$28 million

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Great 30 CTs. That's almost insulting to the people who will have waited 5 years. This Twitter fiasco is certainly going to slow down the push to get the CT going. Why is it that it seems like the CT is an extremely low priority for Elon. It seems like all the other vehicles there was frequent information about Elon in the weeds figuring out how to make it the best ever and with the CT its like its just delayed again, they are worried about cost and maybe next year we will start producing it. It just really sucks.

How can anybody have waited 5 years when it has only been 3 years since Cybertruck reveal date and reservations opened?
Sponsored