Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
It's true and don't fight over it, one of them is for me. :p

Seriously, at least when son worked for Tesla, this is how they do it. And it's operationally sound on how things should be done.

Tesla would first run a production model in Fremont for their template of the production line. A few units will be produced and tested by employees and when all the bugs are corrected, then it is replicated in mass production lines.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla would first run a production model in Fremont for their template of the production line. A few units will be produced and tested by employees and when all the bugs are corrected, then it is replicated in mass production lines.
I also, think they want real world driving miles on their cars before they are released. That way they can find out any critical issues and fix them before they launch a truck with some critical defect. Hummer and Ford have both had battery issues which come to mind. There is only so much doing laps around a closed course can turn up.

Also software. Does FSD work on the truck with it’s monster size? Are there issues with camera placement factory testing didn’t catch? Is the UI rock solid IRL?

audi2tesla

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3; 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
Country flag

Kirsten

First Name
Kirsten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
That article states end of 2023 for mass production.

This thread is about the 30 production intent copies for internal / employee testing which will be made in (speculatively) hand-made (possibly DMG MORI cnc machined front and rear chassis pieces?) produced cybertrucks.
Thank you. I did not understand why the thread was started. I thought this site was for end users who were looking forward to getting their trucks. Looking forward to the post that says they are in production! ;)
Excited about the semis!! Can’t wait to see them on the road! It is wonderful to see all the new electric cars on the road and know we are working toward cleaner air for everyone. As a Tesla shareholder, I am thrilled that Elon changed the whole car market from diesel/gas to electric. That was quite an achievement and he did it single-handedly. I don’t have any problem with what he was paid (as long as he doesn’t retire…lol).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Thank you. I did not understand why the thread was started. I thought this site was for end users who were looking forward to getting their trucks. Looking forward to the post that says they are in production! ;)
Excited about the semis!! Can’t wait to see them on the road! It is wonderful to see all the new electric cars on the road and know we are working toward cleaner air for everyone. As a Tesla shareholder, I am thrilled that Elon changed the whole car market from diesel/gas to electric. That was quite an achievement and he did it single-handedly. I don’t have any problem with what he was paid (as long as he doesn’t retire…lol).
Beta cars driving around 3-6 months before production is a fairly typical sign that production is getting close. Same has happened with most every other Tesla launch.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
Without the giga press up and running producing the giga castings, I see no point in this exercise. Do they need more prototypes? With actual production slated to start in less than a year? I think not.

Also, crash tests without the giga casting would be invalid.
How would we know if they have crash-tested it yet?
If they have, how would they be invalid without the Giga press?
Does the design of the car in final production form pass the test, or is it the actual press used part of the metric, seems dumb if you test it based don't he assembly line and not the design.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Does the design of the car in final production form pass the test, or is it the actual press used part of the metric, seems dumb if you test it based don't he assembly line and not the design.
It's unlikely they'd have crash tested an alpha.

-Crissa

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
From consumer reports "To be certified for sale, every new model sold in the U.S. must be crash-tested internally to ensure minimum federal safety standards are met. But a publicly available rating isn’t required."

So internal testing to meet federal safety standards is a requirement but the there are a good number of vehicles that are not crash tested by NTSA or other international governing bodies (who knew? :) ). NITSA safety ratings are on the window sticker of every new car sold in the US and those ratings do influence buyer decision making.

Tesla prides themselves in very high vehicle safety scores and although they may crash test internally, that would only be to ensure a 5 star NITSA rating can be achieved. So as others have stated, if additional CyberTruck preproduction units are produced, they will likely not be for resale.

It is my belief that the CyberTruck will be a very safe vehicle for occupants. It might be a different story for pedestrians and other vehicles that accident encounter the CT.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It is my belief that the CyberTruck will be a very safe vehicle for occupants. It might be a different story for pedestrians and other vehicles that accident encounter the CT.
With HW4, it should be the safest vehicle on the road bar none.

Lots of media hype will suggest otherwise, but the brain which powers FSD is the safety system in every Tesla and it is extremely good at avoiding collisions.
Sponsored