Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I think it was just a recommendation... or hope. Tesla hasn't indicated when the first Beta would come out. The post probably would have been more clear if it said "It would be awesome if Elon took delivery of the first Beta during the Semi delivery event."

I can see Elon now, standing in front of, say 4 Semis and announcing they are all for Pepsi and then looking sadly at the crowd.
Elon: "I guess there isn't a Tesla Semi for me."
And then, a trailer door is lowered and out comes Franz with a CT. He gets out and shows Elon a metal ball.
Elon: "Well, there's a Cybertruck for me. Hanz, you aren't throwing that ball at MY truck!" or "Okay, last time I let you throw a metal ball at my truck's window."
{Hanz heaves the ball at the driver's side window. The ball strikes the window and falls to the stage with a thud. The window remains intact.}
Elon: {to Franz} "Yeah, that's what I thought." and then to the audience "We fixed the window issue. I'd offer test drives in this Cybertruck but this one is mine. {pauses a beat or two for effect} But, I DID bring 3 others for you to try out the first quad-motor, 4-wheel steering, 620 miles range (I can dream...) badass Cybertrucks! We'll be making these at GigaTexas for customers starting in February. Later!"
Nice bedtime story. Sweet Dreams! :D
Sponsored

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
I’d prefer my truck didn’t weigh 9,000 pounds empty thanks.
Yeah, I dont understand how people freak out about range. If you need to tow things long distances - diesel is the clear winner - and likely will be for a long time to come.

I've averaged 30 miles per day for 10 years with very little variance.
The Cybertruck could get 350 miles of range and that would work fine for me as I only rarely take road trips over 300 miles, the exception being Austin to New Orleans and I'm perfectly fine stopping in Lake Charles for an hour to charge and grab a bite.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
I for one wished the Cybertruck, and the Semi, would have 1,000 mile range.

But Gates, the not-so-swell-headed genius, is correct. There is a conundrum in weight and range for battery operated vehicles. Meaning at the this batteries has reached peak energy density, the only way to add range is to add batteries -- then you hit the weight limitations. Next breakthrough would have to come to new materials to hurdle the current limitations on energy density.

Higher range than what's published at 500 miles, should first happen on the semis. It says, it can haul 81,000 pounds. Regs limit is 80,000. So, it can play out of that 1,000 pounds extra to add battery. :p

No I'm not an expert. I'm just faking it after the Gates-Musk spat that Elon seems to have not moved on. Yeah, aspergers, extreme narcissism, thin-skinned, snowflakery... take your pick for his excuse.:rolleyes:

Yeah, there are dreams and there are delusions. :devilish:
I was reading some articles about Aluminum Ion which is suggesting 2.5x volumetric energy density and 2x per weight density so in somewhere in the 10-25 year range it might be practical.;)

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
I was reading some articles about Aluminum Ion which is suggesting 2.5x volumetric energy density and 2x per weight density so in somewhere in the 10-25 year range it might be practical.;)
I've read about that as well.
The fact of the matter is that most people just dont drive that far every day, and if they do, EVs arent for them.

Who knows, in 25 years, we may have anti-matter reactor powered gravity wave amplifier drives like Bob Lazar has been talking about for 35 years.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Read about that too and am encourage that there are many research being made in the use of new materials all to achieve higher energy density, reduce weight, improve range and longer storage/less energy leak.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
99% of all the Cybertruck videos are pure shit, and I wish there were a way to block a channel so they don't ever show up in my feed again.
There is! It's fairly new:

Depends on the platform where the button is, but there context menu next to the name, (usually) but only when in search results or the suggestions. Click, 'don't recommend channel'.

You'll only see the option in newer clients in the recommendations. It won't show up on the video itself.

-Crissa

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
There is! It's fairly new:

Depends on the platform where the button is, but there context menu next to the name, (usually) but only when in search results or the suggestions. Click, 'don't recommend channel'.

You'll only see the option in newer clients in the recommendations. It won't show up on the video itself.

-Crissa
Sorry, I was not able to include in my gibberish to him to: Ask, if you don't know. :p

And use of spell-check if you see that red squiggly underneath the word jibberish. :rolleyes:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I’d prefer my truck didn’t weigh 9,000 pounds empty thanks.
The Semi has a 500-mile range with a fully-loaded trailer. I believe that the CT range will be based on at least some of the cargo or towing capacity ‘because’ it is intended as a work vehicle. So both of these vehicles would have higher ranges if less loaded. And that is without changing the batteries or truck at all.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
The Semi has a 500-mile range with a fully-loaded trailer. I believe that the CT range will be based on at least some of the cargo or towing capacity ‘because’ it is intended as a work vehicle. So both of these vehicles would have higher ranges if less loaded. And that is without changing the batteries or truck at all.
You cannot make the assumption that the CT's range is based on laden vs unladen weight.
Especially since none of the trucks on the market have EPR ratings with laden weight.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Then quit trying. There is no shame in keeping quiet for not knowing. :oops:

Truckers in the industry actually suggested 700-mile range as their mandated rest is after driving of 10 hours that would have them achieve at least 650 miles on the 65-per hour average (and in California, the 55 to 65mph speed limit regulation) speed.
They have to take breaks during the day anyhow.

-Crissa

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
The fact of the matter is that most people just dont drive that far every day, and if they do, EVs arent for them.
I’m not buying a truck that only works for my average / typical day. I need to be able to use it on atypical days also. It’s 289 miles from my driveway to my parents. My current vehicle can make the trip nonstop in snow, slush and in sub zero temperatures without having to stop to refuel. I’m hoping the 500 mile CT will do that same. (I feel fairly confident it will). I make the trip at least 5 times a year, probably closer to 10 times.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
I’m not buying a truck that only works for my average / typical day. I need to be able to use it on atypical days also. It’s 289 miles from my driveway to my parents. My current vehicle can make the trip nonstop in snow, slush and in sub zero temperatures without having to stop to refuel. I’m hoping the 500 mile CT will do that same. (I feel fairly confident it will). I make the trip at least 5 times a year, probably closer to 10 times.
I should imagine it would, but time will tell.
I have a feeling this is going to be a massive hit, given Elon's enthusiasm about it.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
ooh we're close ! I'm 49120 in the trimotor line.
NOBODY ASKED YOU, JER!!! Showoff.
Sorry, it's a sensitive subject, and I hate myself for waiting and taking a few days to think about placing the order. Finally, I woke up one morning, and asked myself "What the hell am I waiting for?!?!!?! It's the beyond perfect truck, at a reasonable price. That's how I wound up at 216,000.

Hey, does this shirt make me look envious?

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
NOBODY ASKED YOU, JER!!! Showoff.
Sorry, it's a sensitive subject, and I hate myself for waiting and taking a few days to think about placing the order. Finally, I woke up one morning, and asked myself "What the hell am I waiting for?!?!!?! It's the beyond perfect truck, at a reasonable price. That's how I wound up at 216,000.

Hey, does this shirt make me look envious?
lol sorry.... I still bemoan my delay at pulling the trigger when I did.
Sponsored