Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Lighting was potentially a great truck but it’s actual range will destroy its reputation. Hopefully the CT will not suffer the same fate.
Compared to itself the lightning is potentially a great truck..

I am really impressed by the lightning, but realistically, I think it will be like watching the reserves playing and then the first team comes out.

The lightning may end up with a lot of ground to make up.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I've thought a lot about that, and I know you and I have had private discussions. But, at this point....

I think there was primarily an issue with getting the foundation in place. They simply were not prepared in Texas for the reception of it for whatever reason.

I think they just store the press components off line. Good news is this time they're clearly very very ready for a second press to be installed! I would bet we see this press by 4.20 (earnings report, speculative Cybertruck info update)
I hope you are right! I wasn’t trying to get on your case but on the Teslarati folks for selling your post as something imminent. I know that you were providing what you know but there is a difference between items showing up at port and them showing up at GigaAustin, something you know but they don’t.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Compared to itself the lightning is potentially a great truck..

I am really impressed by the lightning, but realistically, I think it will be like watching the reserves playing and then the first team comes out.

The lightning may end up with a lot of ground to make up.
If you ignore range (and charging infrastructure) it is a ‘great’ truck, but truck drivers won’t ignore either (for long).

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
If you ignore range (and charging infrastructure) it is a ‘great’ truck, but truck drivers won’t ignore either (for long).
Yea, I am seeing a lot of "this isn't what I bought, 85k OBO" sale posts on the Lightnings. They don't understand EV ownership.

"it's got 50 miles left.. I only drive 20 miles a day.. it's fine"

Just plug it in you doofus, 270 is better than 50 tomorrow AM grandpa.... Fill er up.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Lighting was potentially a great truck but it’s actual range will destroy its reputation. Hopefully the CT will not suffer the same fate.
Unladed its not hard to exceed the stated range for our Pros which is 220 IIRC. They don’t tow super far but for us its enough range for a lot of our work and they carry literally a ton+ without issue which is more than all but a tiny amount of specialized half tons can do. If there was a 450 mile version im not sure id continue ordering any ICE half tons

For reference the rest of the half ton fleet are 4wd Ford’s with the STX & 2.7L payload packages and bighorn rams with ecodiesel engines.

ShadowAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5
Occupation
Medical Vendor
Country flag
Can I tweet these? :) FWIW if you actually hit the bottom right circle button when measuring, it'll capture your camera with the measurement on it!

Where did you start your frontal measurement? Trying to figure out how you got only ~225"
Feel free to tweet the pics. Also good to know about the circle button.
For the frontal measurement I went from fender to fender. But I do realize for the side measurements I didn’t include the bumpers so I would probably add 4-5 inches to the length.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Developing, but it’s looking like some heavy crates were delivered at casting today!

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Once the Y came out at Austin with the structural packs and no grand reveal of all the incredible efficiencies due to the structural pack and new 4680 cells I became very skeptical. Also, the fact that the 4680s aren't being used in any meaningful way for their vehicles is a little odd with the public announcement being 3 years ago. Maybe they are saving up the batteries for the CT, but Tesla doesn't seem to be the type to stockpile inventory for that long. Also, Elon has seemed to trend toward not needing longer range and seeing that as wasteful. Maybe his opinion will be different with the truck.

Anyway, I am very much on the fence regarding if we will see a major improvement in mileage. If they do offer a CT in the 500 mi range that will truly be revolutionary and would put a very very major benchmark for other EV trucks. They almost certainly all will have to adopt much more aerodynamic and unibody type designs.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Once the Y came out at Austin with the structural packs and no grand reveal of all the incredible efficiencies due to the structural pack and new 4680 cells I became very skeptical. Also, the fact that the 4680s aren't being used in any meaningful way for their vehicles is a little odd with the public announcement being 3 years ago. Maybe they are saving up the batteries for the CT, but Tesla doesn't seem to be the type to stockpile inventory for that long. Also, Elon has seemed to trend toward not needing longer range and seeing that as wasteful. Maybe his opinion will be different with the truck.

Anyway, I am very much on the fence regarding if we will see a major improvement in mileage. If they do offer a CT in the 500 mi range that will truly be revolutionary and would put a very very major benchmark for other EV trucks. They almost certainly all will have to adopt much more aerodynamic and unibody type designs.
It's not odd. And they have shown them repeatedly. But they've admitted to having production problems.

That's irrelevant to the Cybertruck since it's not in production yet.

-Crissa

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Unladed its not hard to exceed the stated range for our Pros which is 220 IIRC. They don’t tow super far but for us its enough range for a lot of our work and they carry literally a ton+ without issue which is more than all but a tiny amount of specialized half tons can do. If there was a 450 mile version im not sure id continue ordering any ICE half tons

For reference the rest of the half ton fleet are 4wd Ford’s with the STX & 2.7L payload packages and bighorn rams with ecodiesel engines.
yeah I don’t follow all the ‘range problem’ quips

thr main ‘problem’ is that the Lightning succeeded in its plan to convert ICE drivers to BEV drivers; what followed was an expected threshold amount of BEV-ignorant owners living with a BEV vehicle

“It loses significant range if towing a parachute!?”

“it loses significant range in Minisota in the winter!?”

“it loses significant range if you put on a 2” lift, 35” mudders, and a steel brush guard?!”

“it loses significant range if you drive 85mph into a 25mph headwind?!”

welcome to the future, Bubba!

a future truck with a 500mi range isn’t as much game-changing from a functionality perspective as it is game-changing from the perspective of satiating the fat part of the bell curve

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
I a surprised there was not much discussion of the rear casting as shown in the investors day photos.
The rear casting could be seen, somewhat transparent, in the rendering of the wiring/controllers.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
So, I haven’t read all the post on here yet so I don’t know if it’s been discussed. Somewhere in one of the Idea videos I remember reading that the cycle time is about 2 minutes to cast a part in the gigapress. So if it ran nonstop all year that’s about 260,000 fronts or rears or 130,000 fronts and rears for a complete truck. Maximum. That’s a lot but it’s far from the production values that Tesla is aiming for. My bet is one of those is to cast the front and one is to cast the rear, which would put production capacity at 260,000 for now. Or they will use smaller casting presses for the front and those larger presses for the rear which would put capacity at 520,000. Obviously these are maximum numbers. The presses will certainly have some downtime.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So, I haven’t read all the post on here yet so I don’t know if it’s been discussed. Somewhere in one of the Idea videos I remember reading that the cycle time is about 2 minutes to cast a part in the gigapress. So if it ran nonstop all year that’s about 260,000 fronts or rears or 130,000 fronts and rears for a complete truck. Maximum. That’s a lot but it’s far from the production values that Tesla is aiming for. My bet is one of those is to cast the front and one is to cast the rear, which would put production capacity at 260,000 for now. Or they will use smaller casting presses for the front and those larger presses for the rear which would put capacity at 520,000. Obviously these are maximum numbers. The presses will certainly have some downtime.
One press makes rears, another press makes fronts. They're different parts with different surface area, the rear requires the 9k because of a much larger surface area.

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
cycle time 45-90 seconds