Selling Cybertruck - approval from Tesla required?

Dmayo305

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S, 2023 Model X, Awaiting VIN for CT
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
First off, apologies if my post is off topic here. The Cybertruck is my first Tesla so I'm a little new to the company.

I got the configuration email at the beginning of March and a few days later got a call from a Tesla employee in Denver inviting my husband and I to come to the store to see one in person and test drive an X which was the closest car to the Cybertruck they had available at the time. He spent at least 2 hours with us and walked us through the process of configuring a Beast and gave us his cell phone number in case we had further questions. We've asked him a few questions over the last month and he's always been very responsive.

Did we just happen to get a top notch customer service rep? It's a little concerning that so many people are having issues with Tesla customer service.
This behavior was the norm before Tesla released the Model 3. They haven't recovered (in a customer service mindset) since then.
Sponsored

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
First off, apologies if my post is off topic here. The Cybertruck is my first Tesla so I'm a little new to the company.

I got the configuration email at the beginning of March and a few days later got a call from a Tesla employee in Denver inviting my husband and I to come to the store to see one in person and test drive an X which was the closest car to the Cybertruck they had available at the time. He spent at least 2 hours with us and walked us through the process of configuring a Beast and gave us his cell phone number in case we had further questions. We've asked him a few questions over the last month and he's always been very responsive.

Did we just happen to get a top notch customer service rep? It's a little concerning that so many people are having issues with Tesla customer service.
I have purchased 3 Teslas and have never gotten this experience. In fact my interactions with reps have often resulted in errors and delays in my orders. I have been told a manager would call me back 7 times, and only ever had it happen once.

Trust me I am as far from a Karen as you can get. I regularly accept lower quality service or products so I do not need to "bother" the employees. If a waiter at a restaurant gets my order wrong, I just eat what they brought. But somehow my interactions with Tesla have been the worst in my life.

It comes down to ownership, no one at Tesla I have interacted with has it that . If someone makes a mistake, they don't care. If someone promises something and it doesn't happen, they don't care.

Most recently I took in my Cybertruck to get some scratches that were present at delivery removed. They accepted my service request and asked me to drop off the truck. When they called to say that it was ready I asked what was done. "We changed something in the door due to a bulletin".

They didnt fix the scratches because they said they didnt have the equipment or training to do so. So why did they even ask me to bring in the truck at all?! When I asked what service center could do it? They had no idea and couldnt look into it for me. Then they just told me to check with a list of the 4 nearest SCs.

Last edited:

Raxar

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
On the agreement there is the arbitration email address for Tesla . Email them and youā€™ll get a reply within 48 hours telling you that they donā€™t want to buy back your car and you can go ahead and sell it
I was the one who got my claim denied and went through all those hoops but when I emailed arbitration I never got an email back. My biggest thing is I don't want to be blacklisted from buying future Tesla's.

Killlbox

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Subaru Forrester Sport
Occupation
Biotech
Country flag
Oh my! That is some terrible customer service!

I was wondering if the issues might be from the Cybertruck being new and layoffs happening but it sounds like they have had problems for quite a while.

Iā€™m in Cheyenne and my service center is an hour away. Definitely concerned that I might have to deal with the commute for service and customer service incompetence

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
Hi, Iā€™ve been thinking about selling my Cybertruck due to the depreciation on my Model Y. Iā€™m having trouble moving it, thus Iā€™m stuck with two vehicles.

Iā€™ve called Tesla 5 times and also chatted with their online team twice. Iā€™ve been promised calls back and after two weeks, still nothing.

Does anyone know how I can contact them for approval? Or should I just go ahead and sell it?
If you have a paper trail of your attempts to contact Tesla (phone records, email, etc.) Iā€™d say youā€™re good to go, especially if youā€™re selling it due to economic hardship. Also as long as youā€™re not putting it on an auction sight and selling it for twice what you paid for it, you should be fine.

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
Back on topic, I have been watching Cyberbeast listings. One sold at Auction for 250k a couple weeks back. Now I see a few (maybe 6) listed for 197k at dealerships and they are dropping the price almost daily.

WoKKiE

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜24 FS CyberBeast (3xx)
Country flag
I emailed them about the powershare hardware BS, requesting they either give me the hardware or pay me the retail value of the hardware via cash or even an enduring credit in the Tesla store. They have yet to reply. I requested a reply today, if I do not get one within a week I'm having my lawyer draw up some paperwork to mail via certified mail. I've had continual registration paperwork issues, and my truck has spent more time in the shop than being driven. I'm sick and tired of the $500B+ company with the best selling vehicle still behaving like a startup when it comes to customer service.
I agree with you on this. Iā€™ve been trying to dispute the PowerShare decision but no there knows how to get to that team. Thinking about taking legal action for bait and switch as well since my purchase was influenced by the PowerShare packageā€¦

Dmayo305

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S, 2023 Model X, Awaiting VIN for CT
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I agree with you on this. Iā€™ve been trying to dispute the PowerShare decision but no there knows how to get to that team. Thinking about taking legal action for bait and switch as well since my purchase was influenced by the PowerShare packageā€¦
I'm no lawyer, but I don't think we have the ability to file a class action. I'm willing to go to arbitration, even if I lose money, just based on principle. This shady behavior is why I don't like traditional car companies and their dealership model.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Like any company, the customer service will vary quite a bit depending upon location and the individual. They are all humans after all.

The average customer service is much better in real life than on-line reports would have you believe because people with good customer service are far less likely to mention it than those who feel like they've been slighted. And there will always be a few people, or even web bots acting like real people, who just make bad shit up to discredit the company. Yes, it happens.

Killlbox

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Subaru Forrester Sport
Occupation
Biotech
Country flag
Like any company, the customer service will vary quite a bit depending upon location and the individual. They are all humans after all.

The average customer service is much better in real life than on-line reports would have you believe because people with good customer service are far less likely to mention it than those who feel like they've been slighted. And there will always be a few people, or even web bots acting like real people, who just make bad shit up to discredit the company. Yes, it happens.
Excellent point. Iā€™m new to Tesla and am personally enjoying the customer service experience. Hopefully that keeps up.

beatmstrj

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
I'm no lawyer, but I don't think we have the ability to file a class action. I'm willing to go to arbitration, even if I lose money, just based on principle. This shady behavior is why I don't like traditional car companies and their dealership model.
Please keep us posted on this. I'm very much in agreement with you. Why is my equipment being held hostage by someone else? Give me the equipment or some form of compensation. There has to be a legal avenue for this if Tesla doesn't make good on it somehow.

GatorCyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model X
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
I got a $3,500 install quote for my PowerShare, including $1k for the wall connector, which literally would take them 30 minutes as it's right next to the panel. The powershare gateway cannot be anymore time than 2 hours. So the only authorized installer is holding my $2,500 equipment ransom, with Tesla's blessings, for $3,500 in labor charges. My only other option is a one item store voucher for up to $700?
Can someone Tweet Elon that this is blackmail?

Sandman1962

First Name
Sel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S , Model X
Country flag
I emailed them about the powershare hardware BS, requesting they either give me the hardware or pay me the retail value of the hardware via cash or even an enduring credit in the Tesla store. They have yet to reply. I requested a reply today, if I do not get one within a week I'm having my lawyer draw up some paperwork to mail via certified mail. I've had continual registration paperwork issues, and my truck has spent more time in the shop than being driven. I'm sick and tired of the $500B+ company with the best selling vehicle still behaving like a startup when it comes to customer service.
I just emailed too about the disparity of the value of our Foundation Series ā€œpackageā€ that was promised and that which was received. In light of the FSD dropping very significantly in price, the value of that package has diminished significantly. One or two small vouchers does not begin to bridge the gap.

Trimotor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Back on topic, I have been watching Cyberbeast listings. One sold at Auction for 250k a couple weeks back. Now I see a few (maybe 6) listed for 197k at dealerships and they are dropping the price almost daily.
Well since the Cyberbeast might be selling for the regular MSRP of $99K later this year the 2x price today will be history soon IMHO.

rizvend

First Name
CyBrNrD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybrtrk, aptera reserved
Occupation
Nurse Informaticist
Country flag
Hi, Iā€™ve been thinking about selling my Cybertruck due to the depreciation on my Model Y. Iā€™m having trouble moving it, thus Iā€™m stuck with two vehicles.

Iā€™ve called Tesla 5 times and also chatted with their online team twice. Iā€™ve been promised calls back and after two weeks, still nothing.

Does anyone know how I can contact them for approval? Or should I just go ahead and sell it?
Why not consider renting the MODEL Y out on TURO instead. You'll probably make more money and have tax deductions to consider. Just another avenue to find a win-win. šŸ¤”
Sponsored