Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
One day, my wife rolling onto my side with a glint in her eye..

I will run outside and hug the Cybertruck. :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I hope I can opt to turn off the rear light bar when I'm not decelerating. I'd like to reserve it only for brake light so as to be more obvious (unconfusing) that cars behind me need to start slowing down. The feature I'd like to see is a brake light that grows in width as deceleration increases. Just a small center section for light regen braking, expanding to nearer full width to indicate maximum stopping effort.

🤷🏽
Welcome. You are insane.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla was very specific on the exterior sheen of the SS exterior panels. Not too shiny, not too dull.

The Goldilocks principle was definitely applied. I think they nailed the sheen factor!!!
You will be able to change the "sheen factor" to whatever you want simply by using abrasives of different fineness/coarseness and whatever polishing pattern you like.

A very beautiful and soft sheen can be produced (at least on non-cold-rolled stainless steel) by glass-beading the surface with beads of a uniform size (that have never been re-used). On a microscopic level, this creates a surface that is evenly pockmarked with uniform "craters" that give the surface a soft "glow".

That's a little too fussy for me, I'll probably just use a fine Scotchbrite pad in a uniform direction but also experiment with other patterns and grits. A random-orbit polisher will give a different look than a circular orbit polisher.

Sometimes I might shine the exterior metalwork with a rag with WD-40 on it and then let the natural dust adhere to the oil to kill the shine and develop and nice casual look. Other times I might wax it to help it repel dust.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I love how people want to protect it from scratches even though the hardened SS is supposed to be harder than most other surfaces around. It certainly shouldn't scratch as easily as normal auto paint. I'm guessing that PPF will scratch or rip before the SS will.
Correct. Wrapping a Cybertruck to protect it is like putting clear vinyl on your windows so they don't scratch when you are washing them. The only reason to wrap a Cybertruck is to change it's color, and that comes with the obvious downside of being subject to more expense, more wear and tear/replacement costs.

Back in the 1960's housewives used to put clear vinyl on all their upholstered furniture to keep it clean and protect it from damage. But then you are sitting on clear vinyl and a beautiful, soft couch would have ugly reflections coming off the vinyl and it would make plastic noises when sitting down. But they thought it was more important to keep it "nice" than for it to be nice.

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Seems like certain times of the day could be miserable to me 🤷‍♂️
Even if the sun angle of incidence was low just above the grill light bar, the reflection angle of the sunlight would never make it through the windscreen and into the cabin because they are both in the same plane. You can't see the frunk good from inside either, so you don't need to worry about reflections for yourself...but maybe for other drivers on the road?

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
To each his/her own. You do you! Who cares what others say. Just be 😊. I am just excited to be part of this historic Cybertruck event 🤓

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
To each his/her own. You do you! Who cares what others say. Just be 😊. I am just excited to be part of this historic Cybertruck event 🤓
All that glare caused you to have poor eyesight so now you wear glasses? Good job moving on enough to still be happy.

CyberJustice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
People need to stop trying to capture the whole truck on camera, it doesn't do it justice.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Seems like certain times of the day could be miserable to me 🤷‍♂️
1) You're never going to get over half of all Cybertruck owners to wrap the hood.

2) You can't even see the glare from the hood from anywhere inside the cabin because the hood is on the same plane as the windshield. You would have to poke your head through the windshield to see the hood.

3) The hood is flat, so any reflection is only going to be bright from one precise viewing angle, relative to the sun. It won't be a problem beyond all the noise the anti-Tesla, anti-EV people make about it. Have you ever seen a huge flat chrome bumper on a semi-truck? It's really not a big deal to have a mirror surface flash sunlight in your eyes unless you are staring at that lightsource. It's like saying people can't drive on a sunny day because they might get blinded by a direct view of the sun.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Even if the sun angle of incidence was low just above the grill light bar, the reflection angle of the sunlight would never make it through the windscreen and into the cabin because they are both in the same plane. You can't see the frunk good from inside either, so you don't need to worry about reflections for yourself...but maybe for other drivers on the road?
For clarity, am talking about other drivers
1) You're never going to get over half of all Cybertruck owners to wrap the hood.

2) You can't even see the glare from the hood from anywhere inside the cabin because the hood is on the same plane as the windshield. You would have to poke your head through the windshield to see the hood.

3) The hood is flat, so any reflection is only going to be bright from one precise viewing angle, relative to the sun. It won't be a problem beyond all the noise the anti-Tesla, anti-EV people make about it. Have you ever seen a huge flat chrome bumper on a semi-truck? It's really not a big deal to have a mirror surface flash sunlight in your eyes unless you are staring at that lightsource. It's like saying people can't drive on a sunny day because they might get blinded by a direct view of the sun.

my concern is dazzling other drivers not myself

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

You don’t think you dazzle enough? I’ve been dazzled by you!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

The Cybertruck will be less dazzling than chromed steel, like some semi-truck bumpers are made of. It will also be less dazzling than the sun itself. Are you saying we should only drive at night to avoid being blinded by the sun? Are your eyes extra sensitive to reflected light? Why are you not concerned that flat windows, of which there are millions, don't "dazzle" other drivers in a dnagerous manner?

The idea that the Cybertruck will be so "dazzling" that it's dangerous is simply an objection thrown up by people who are afraid it will be a wildly popular 1/2-ton pickup . It's just meaningless noise.
Sponsored