Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
This is exciting stuff. They are beginning to produce the body in mass production. Not to be a negative nabob of negativity, but if this is door, it is a long way from being a complete door part. But the fact that they made (4) of something is encouraging. They must have a plan to finish the part. From here this part will need to go to another process to weld tabs on to accept the inner stamped section, unless everything is getting glued or do some additional bending in another machine. If you think about sub assemblies the door is fairly complicated. There are 4 subassemblies (drivers door, passenger front etc.) each with unique glass, locking mechanism, a wiring harness, and the rolling mechanism. How does this work? Do they make 1000 left front doors, then switch to right doors until they have 4000 doors or do they have (4) sub assembly branches that come together on the main line. The battery and drive are complicated but there is only one of them and many of those parts are bolt on. When will we see a ready to attach door?

I also want to revived the debate about where or not the entire skin is 3mm SS. I always thought the door would be 3 mm SS for bragging rights, but is the hood and quarter panel areas 3mm? As we get closer to production this "I told you so" banter becomes just that much more important :)

Tesla Cybertruck Skin folding progress, but not there yet 1687698076044
Sponsored

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I hope anything that can be hit in a parking lot (by door or bumper) would be 3mm. That's what I was hoping for..... :cool:

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
2 mm is still very strong and would save a couple hundred lbs and a couple hundred in a material cost. Slightly smaller battery and acceleration etc.
Sponsored