Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Hopefully there's a roof for the cab, which the midgate would reach up to, yes? The tonneau cover meets the roof. ^-^;

You know what? What if the tonneau cover was the mid-gate? Right now, it leaves the cab rear wall uncovered by rolling down... what if instead of having a wall there, it was just the tonneau cover meeting the rear window?

-Crissa
I could easily see that! push for open the vault, double press (or press and hold) to completely retract it.

Since the vault seals well enough for HVAC and keeps rain out...
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I could easily see that! push for open the vault, double press (or press and hold) to completely retract it.

Since the vault seals well enough for HVAC and keeps rain out...
Yeah. Then flip or slide the rear window up out of the way, like a moon poof, open space.

I'd prolly leave it cracked open all the time if I could. That's what I do with my Mazda.

That would be the easiest, now that I think about how it works. That the rear window is under the top flange of the tonneau makes it easier, it's not taking direct weathering.

-Crissa

Why does what I type sometimes get randomly selected when I press return? Silly forum.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yeah. Then flip or slide the rear window up out of the way, like a moon poof, open space.

-Crissa

Why does what I type sometimes get randomly selected when I press return? Silly forum.
No, I meant the whole separation between the bed (vault) and the cabin be the cover. No rear window to move out of the way.

Remember, the rearview is just a screen, so not like you need a window to look out the back (since when the vault cover is closed, you cannot see out the back anyway).

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
No, I meant the whole separation between the bed (vault) and the cabin be the cover. No rear window to move out of the way.
You might want to drive around with the tonneau open but window closed so you can see your load and not freeze.

*shrug* There's a window in the prototype.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
You might want to drive around with the tonneau open but window closed so you can see your load and not freeze.

*shrug* There's a window in the prototype.

-Crissa
Yeah, but I am not sure why...

If you have something in the bed with the vault cover closed, it has to fit under the vault cover, so there is a good chance you cannot see it from the driver's position.

If you have something in the bed and the vault cover is open, good chance it is big enough to require the cover to be open, so probably going to block view and looking at it from the driver's position seems not very useful.

So, how many use cases would you actually need to see into the bed from the driver's position?

Plus, the vault cover open would increase the drag of the vehicle, so less range.

I assume that is why they put the rearview as a screen instead of a mirror, as there was just not enough use cases where a mirror, even one with a screen built in, just did not make sense.

I would just add two 'vault view' cameras, one at the top nearest the cab, but able to see the bed/vault even when the cover is closed (maybe in the passenger top corner). The other would be the driver's side back corner, also positioned to see under the vault cover if closed. Fisheye or atleast very wide angle, good lowlight... probably a camera from a cellphone would work, being small, common, relatively inexpensive, and available in high volume.

I am assuming Tesla design team has thought of these things... but may not have come to the same conclusions I have. But if they have not thought of this issue, then they obviously need to hire us as consultants... :)

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
a bed cam and trailer viewing cam too

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
And for those people who want to sleep in the vault hopefully they will include interior controls to open and close it.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
My garage has a insulated door however I don’t believe that there’s any insulation behind the finis drywall. The garage heats up even though I haven’t driven that day unfortunately. That being said, I am still looking forward to not having a ICE heat it up like Crissa stated! ?

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
My garage has a insulated door however I don’t believe that there’s any insulation behind the finis drywall. The garage heats up even though I haven’t driven that day unfortunately. That being said, I am still looking forward to not having a ICE heat it up like Crissa stated! ?
I got an insulated door (faces south) and put insulation above in the 'attic' which greatly improved the conditions in my garage. I used to have things freeze in the winter in my garage (like water, soda, etc) and get over a 100 in the summer but since both of those were done, it has significantly stabilized the temps. Even at -10F to 100F, my garage only varies between 44F and 72F (with the garage door closed). If I leave it open long enough, it will cool down or heat up, depending.
Sponsored