Ingemar

First Name
Ingemar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X
Country flag
I said this before, but the honda element the seats fold back and the toyota matrix the seats fold forward and lay completely flat. as far as the mid gate, I dont think it could happen as the roll up cover is going to be under the back seat. just guessing but it limited on where it is going to be.
I think it makes sense that the cover has to be under the rear seat.

Maybe if the headrests can be taken off of the front seats, the front seat backs can fold back flush with the rear seat?
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think it makes sense that the cover has to be under the rear seat.

Maybe if the headrests can be taken off of the front seats, the front seat backs can fold back flush with the rear seat?
I guess weā€™ll find out in about 18 months, or so. To me, at least in the Tesla seats I have seen and in the current CT, the headrests seem to be a part of a single part seat.its like the interior colors. My wife would love a caramel interior but I told her not to hold her breath. Tesla does things their way. Would I like the seats to fold down? Sure. But Iā€™ll be happy with whatever they do with the seats as long as they are at least as functional/comfortable as all the other Tesla seats I have sat in.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The top end of the tonneau is above the head of the back seat.

-Crissa
I am confused about how the two are related. The cover ā€˜couldā€˜ be rolled up under the back seat and still be driven up as we have seen in the videos. To me it makes more sense to have it be a part of the bed than part of the cab, but what do I know?

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I believe in interviews, it was said that the cover rolls up under the truck, but not sure it has ever been more specifically shown.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I believe in interviews, it was said that the cover rolls up under the truck, but not sure it has ever been more specifically shown.
I took it to mean under that high roof, but either way I am really interested to hear how it rolls up!

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow! It does go all the way down under the seat and exposes the window! @23seconds Weird!

But neat.

I hope there's room for the mid-gate. The tonneau would have to be disabled (locked into open or closed) while it was open, tho.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I hope there's room for the mid-gate. The tonneau would have to be disabled (locked into open or closed) while it was open, tho.

-Crissa
Yes, the cover would have to be disabled and I think the seats and midgate would have to fold into the cab and level with the bed. I am not sure how useful it will be to most people if it was not level with the bed.

If the cover rolls up under the seats and the floor bumped up for that, then seems like no possibility for a midgate.

If the cover rolls up under the bed, or the floor of the cab is level in the back, there should be room for seats that fold down and the midgate to fold on top to result in a continuous floor with the bed.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Just watching that video...yet again and the excitement continues to grow in me to be getting such a badass vehicle! It really appears to be so smooth in operation and I really cannot wait! Just recently sold a trailer that was taking up a space in my garage and I am having a Mitsubishi mini-split installed in my garage which sounds ridiculous but my house faces west and that afternoon sun really heats up the garage. I am tired of having to open the garage once it cools off in the evening just to release some of that hot humid air and then I have to remember to close the garage before I go to bed. The CT will look great in the space and I canā€™t wait!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
There isn't a big difference, since the rails of a truck are the sides of the Cybertruck. The bed and cab are one unit.

-Crissa
Agreed, but conceptually they are different and they might be different to the designer. No matter where the tonneau, itā€™s drive mechanism, and itā€™s rails originate, the cover must, in order to support the notion of a lower able wall, completely leave the wall. That means there is a chance for it to hang up when pushed. If even a little bit of it is left in the wall it would have to ā€˜bendā€™ less if it were stored under the bed than under the seats. In fact, if it is stored under the bed, if the wall were rotated, the ā€˜bendā€™ angle would be even less than when the wall is in its vertical position.

Has anyone thought about the requirements on the wall to support it folding down? It isnā€™t like a folding seat because it is a boundary from inside the cab to outside the cab.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Has anyone thought about the requirements on the wall to support it folding down? It isnā€™t like a folding seat because it is a boundary from inside the cab to outside the cab.
It's more like a door, but not completely exposed to the weather because of the roof and rails.

I'd have it lever out, like a pop-top vent/exit on a trailer or bus, then fold down or up. The window would have to either roll into the lower wall or up into the cab where the skylight is.

Heck, it could be that the tonneau rails remain static and the wall is separate from them. That would be easiest.

Have you seen how many moves most fold-flat seats do? They pop off the anchors, fold, then rotate into the footwell.

Even if I don't get a fold-flat, I still want a mid-gate.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It's more like a door, but not completely exposed to the weather because of the roof and rails.

I'd have it lever out, like a pop-top vent/exit on a trailer or bus, then fold down or up. The window would have to either roll into the lower wall or up into the cab where the skylight is.

Heck, it could be that the tonneau rails remain static and the wall is separate from them. That would be easiest.

Have you seen how many moves most fold-flat seats do? They pop off the anchors, fold, then rotate into the footwell.

Even if I don't get a fold-flat, I still want a mid-gate.

-Crissa
What do you mean by roof? Is there a roof on the CT over the bed?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What do you mean by roof? Is there a roof on the CT over the bed?
Hopefully there's a roof for the cab, which the midgate would reach up to, yes? The tonneau cover meets the roof. ^-^;

You know what? What if the tonneau cover was the mid-gate? Right now, it leaves the cab rear wall uncovered by rolling down... what if instead of having a wall there, it was just the tonneau cover meeting the rear window?

-Crissa
Sponsored