Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
It was a spectacular test flight. Was certain the result we saw would happen after the first engine was lost, almost bet money it would happen when the second engine shut down. It was wonderfully stable doing its skydiver bleed off of energy going down. Thought it would make it when two Raptor engines fired up. It can so close to succeeding. It even landed where it was supposed to. So close. Amazing team.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I watched, and I think the first engine was shut down on purpose, because, then the 2nd engine was shut down, leaving one raptor to power the space craft, and it did great! Then, the 3rd engine was shut down, letting the rocket sit in the "belly flop" position, some people say. Then, too late, it turned and fired up to catch itself.

My thought is that that point to fire up and thrust into a controlled decent to the pad - that point was determined for a full compliment of 28 raptor engines, not 3. That was the miscalculation that happened. Put all raptors in place, fire up the ones that would be used for landing, and you're golden. But, this craft only had the 3 raptors firing. peace

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I watched, and I think the first engine was shut down on purpose, because, then the 2nd engine was shut down, leaving one raptor to power the space craft, and it did great! Then, the 3rd engine was shut down, letting the rocket sit in the "belly flop" position, some people say. Then, too late, it turned and fired up to catch itself.

My thought is that that point to fire up and thrust into a controlled decent to the pad - that point was determined for a full compliment of 28 raptor engines, not 3. That was the miscalculation that happened. Put all raptors in place, fire up the ones that would be used for landing, and you're golden. But, this craft only had the 3 raptors firing. peace
Doubtful as the flame color of the final engine changed to green, a sign it was consuming the copper components as it over heated.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Doubtful as the flame color of the final engine changed to green, a sign it was consuming the copper components as it over heated.
I'm sure we will find out exactly from Elon. But, no matter, the biggest deal is the missed landing - coming in much too hard. I hope there is a simple explanation, possibly an oversight, for that. peace

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The hypergolic fuel they use to jump-start the engines can also burn green.

I think the flight computer was still kicking the motors to 'come on!'

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I loved how there was total silence for a while till the radio voice says good job everyone. Sounds like they are trying to stay positive but given the situation it could easily be read by someone as snark.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Well, looking on the bright side, they nailed everything but the landing...

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Well, looking on the bright side, they nailed everything but the landing...
They nailed the takeoff and flight but hammered the landing.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Hey, landing where (if not at the speed you intend) you intend is like 95%. Not even Falcon 9 does that all the time!

-Crissa

OP
OP
Alan

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There’s a good article on it on teslarati web site. Header tank couldn’t supply the fuel fast enough during landing. The pressure was to low.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Scott Manley has an excellent review.

He says most expert observers agree the engine consumed itself. He also said early shutdowns of engines 1 and 2 were planned.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
There is now way you could consider this test anything but an amazing success. They never intended for it to land successfully (Elon only gave it a 30% chance).
By every metric:
-collection of data
-flight time
-fin motors
-belly flop
-glide
-kick out for vertical landing
-getting back to launch pad (dead centre)
An absolutely amazing success. they've got so much data now that they can work to improve upon. This was SN8, Elon isn't expecting any of them to really survive until SN15.

Last edited:

97trophy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Country flag
Not really relevant but my neighbors son is a PhD rocket engineer. He chose to work for NASA rather than SpaceX for job security. He was offered a job by both. I think he made a mistake.

Those SpaceX guys are amazing! Musk is a genius....
Sponsored