Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This isn’t a big issue for me. Perhaps when Musk talks about not needed a garage for the Cybertruck perhaps he should spend a winter in Canada?

Does your tongue stick to stainless at -30 degrees?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Simple.

Tesla needs a Canuck connector, a type of power diverter that runs battery thermal management off electrical main service separate and independent from charge port.
Why?

The charge port can be set to whatever value the wall can provide, and the charger's peak capacity is way more than the car can consume trying to heat itself.

-Crissa

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
"Starting" a Tesla in the cold is not an issue unless it has a very weak or dead 12v battery. The cold affects the output capacity of lead acid and lithium ion batteries.

In February 2021 during the cold front that affected a large part of the United States, it was -39°F where I live (no wind chill, that was the actual temperature). I worked at night and my car sat outside all night. No issue whatsoever with "starting up" my Model 3 even with a 3 year old battery at the time. The only issue was that the car had little power while accelerating at first due to the very cold battery pack. Another issue was that blasting the heat on Hi on my 25 minute drive home only got the cabin temp up to the low 60 degree F range. My energy consumption (Wh/mi) was somewhat high as well, but can't remember the exact number. Might of been somewhere around 350 Wh/mi or a bit higher, but did not reach 400 Wh/mi.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
"Starting" a Tesla in the cold is not an issue unless it has a very weak or dead 12v battery. The cold affects the output capacity of lead acid and lithium ion batteries.

In February 2021 during the cold front that affected a large part of the United States, it was -39°F where I live (no wind chill, that was the actual temperature). I worked at night and my car sat outside all night. No issue whatsoever with "starting up" my Model 3 even with a 3 year old battery at the time. The only issue was that the car had little power while accelerating at first due to the very cold battery pack. Another issue was that blasting the heat on Hi on my 25 minute drive home only got the cabin temp up to the low 60 degree F range. My energy consumption (Wh/mi) was somewhat high as well, but can't remember the exact number. Might of been somewhere around 350 Wh/mi or a bit higher, but did not reach 400 Wh/mi.
Actually just found a picture I took after that drive, when I arrived home and parked in the garage. You can see that the temperature reading inside the garage was -34°F and that my energy consumption for the drive was actually much higher than I remembered. It was actually 482 Wh/mi. That's pretty high, but not surprising for the extreme temps (at least for me). My average energy consumption for winter is between 296-304 Wh/mi (I keep track of average energy consumption when I switch between my winter and all-season tires).
Tesla Cybertruck "Starting" a Tesla model 3 in -34C (-29F) cold Canadian Winter IMG_20210216_073448__01__02
Sponsored