Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
We’ve already had a conversation about truck nutz. No need to rehash that.

Tesla Cybertruck Static discharge line 282391C1-0572-4173-8D6F-4B9354994855

I’m guessing that shiny little heart is in place of a static discharge line. It was just a little to the side of the muffler.

But that had me wondering if EVs need more or less support for static discharge. Clearly there is a ton of charge in the vehicle. But that charge needs to be isolated from areas a passenger might touch. So I’d guess that static can still build up in a Tesla.

Secondarily, I’ll be curious what other items like this people will want to hang from their CT at the minor cost of range.
Sponsored

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
We’ve already had a conversation about truck nutz. No need to rehash that.

282391C1-0572-4173-8D6F-4B9354994855.jpeg

I’m guessing that shiny little heart is in place of a static discharge line. It was just a little to the side of the muffler.

But that had me wondering if EVs need more or less support for static discharge. Clearly there is a ton of charge in the vehicle. But that charge needs to be isolated from areas a passenger might touch. So I’d guess that static can still build up in a Tesla.

Secondarily, I’ll be curious what other items like this people will want to hang from their CT at the minor cost of range.
I’m a layman in terms of this, but isn’t it so that the combustion vehicles have this to avoid accidentally igniting fuel outside the engine, while EVs wouldn’t want to ground any wild (and much higher) currents?

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
As far as the high voltage battery is concerned, it's completely isolated from the vehicle chassis. For static discharge, I'm not sure what (if anything) is done in a Tesla. I've owned my Model 3 for 3 years and 60k miles and have not felt any static discharge even in the winter. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever felt any static discharge with any vehicle before (Tesla was my first EV).

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Is the static charge on the vehicle or is it on your body after moving around in the plastic and cloth environment inside the vehicle?

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Hold on. So we could just be grabbing power out of thin air. Imagine a CT trickle charger that consists of a thin wire up into the sky lifted by a combination helium ballon kite (kite for when moving, balloon for when still). How much power could we reliably get? And how much super charge would be possible in an electrical storm?
Sponsored