Stealing EV charging cables - a growing trend

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Ok. My point is that because there is not nearly enough EV charging stations and that it is a more of a concern than what it normally would be.

I also think there are people that for some odd/strange reason despise EV's and actually enjoy the destruction of EV charging stations.
Oh, you mean like the people that "roll coal" on EVs (and even small fuel efficient gas cars), and bicyclists.

Or that purposely waste energy on Earth Day.

Also wanting cleaner air/water (environmentalists), fairness, equal justice, and NOT being summarily executed by police are targets of coal rollers.

Those people would definitively NOT vandalize EV charging stations (sarcasm alert!!)
Sponsored

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Oh, I cut them off just for sport. I leave them on the ground, to give the ICErs something to think about.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Cords cut at Tesla charging station in Cincinnati, second time in a week
Those responsible supposedly stole the cables for the copper inside.

CINCINNATI (WXIX) - The Tesla Supercharger station near the Oakley Meijer was vandalized Friday for the second time this week.

Cords on the charging station were cut and stolen for the copper inside.

“It’s not the first time it’s happened and it’s probably not the last time,” said Aaron Cunningham, owner of EVentures Rentals, which rents out electric vehicles, primarily Teslas.

Cunningham says his business and livelihood are dependent on the chargers at the charging station working.

Tesla owner Raj Geru saw police at the station when the first episode of vandalism happened Tuesday.

“Whoever is the culprit should get caught, get justice and, don’t do this, you know? Like, do better things in life,” Geru said.

Geru comes to the Oakley charging station every day.

“I come here because it’s safe here, but it seems like it’s not,” he said.

A repairman from the Tesla’s Supercharger Command Center fixed the chargers earlier this week. He says it happened at a station in Oakland, California on Wednesday. He also says it’s becoming more common.

“There [in Cincinnati] it’s most likely a copper thief trying to make a quick buck on the cableing,” Cunningham said. “But in California, it looked more like an act of vandalism. They didn’t cut the entire cable off like you would if you were to sell the copper. They cut it right in the center, probably because they just don’t like Tesla.”

The repairman says the people vandalizing the chargers are only doing the first few at the station because those are hidden from Meijer’s surveillance cameras.

“When things like this happen, kind of out of the blue, it’s a little worrisome,” Cunningham said.

https://www.fox19.com/2022/05/07/cords-cut-tesla-charging-station-cincinnati-second-time-week/

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
This problem will not go away.
My solution would be for the vehicle to carry the cable and plug one end into ports in the charger and the other end into the vehicle.
Having that kind of cable and the chargers having plug in ports would give owners the ability to charge even if the cable had been cut off the charger.
No cable to steal no profit motive for the terminally lazy and stupid.
Yea it's a PITA and sucks to have to buy and carry around a cable but you would have peace of mind. If you are willing to pony up the money for an EV you should be able to buy the extra plug in charger cord.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
This problem will not go away.
My solution would be for the vehicle to carry the cable and plug one end into ports in the charger and the other end into the vehicle.
Having that kind of cable and the chargers having plug in ports would give owners the ability to charge even if the cable had been cut off the charger.
No cable to steal no profit motive for the terminally lazy and stupid.
Yea it's a PITA and sucks to have to buy and carry around a cable but you would have peace of mind. If you are willing to pony up the money for an EV you should be able to buy the extra plug in charger cord.
My wife and I have had our Teslas for four years as our primary cars and neither one of us has even seen a cut-off charge cord, let alone been inconvenienced by one!

My point is not that it doesn't occasionally happen, obviously it does, but I'm sure glad we haven't been required to carry around a 8 pound cable everywhere we go! I like just pulling up to a Supercharger and plugging in. Very simple and satisfying. Tesla made the cords very short for a good reason - there is less value in a little 4 foot cord than if they made them 10 or 12 feet long.

Why do people like to blow things out of proportion?
Sponsored