JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Tailgate on the Tesla is lower by default and the air suspension can lower it even more. Musk didn’t have any trouble climbing up onto his truck when he did the Leno demo.
It might be a bit lower, but it still looks like an awkward height for EM who is tall. Not ideal for vertically or gravity challenged customers. Also on the tailgate side it's hard to grab anything on the side of the bed for stability.

Golden health and safety rule for climbing stuff is 3 points of contact. Thats why the F150 has a pop up handle in the bed as well. I just don't see the tailgate to ever be low enough to get in safely, for all customer types the way it is now.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It might be a bit lower, but it still looks like an awkward height for EM who is tall. Not ideal for vertically or gravity challenged customers. Also on the tailgate side it's hard to grab anything on the side of the bed for stability.

Golden health and safety rule for climbing stuff is 3 points of contact. Thats why the F150 has a pop up handle in the bed as well. I just don't see the tailgate to ever be low enough to get in safely, for all customer types the way it is now.
Some kind of step would be better.

But there is a pretty big delta between the Cybertruck and the Ford. That fold down chair thing would be damned near dragging the ground on the Cybertruck.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yep

Fancy having to roll out the ramp every time. I was thinking of just keeping a stool or something at the tailgate end.

If there was a fold down step, it would be great. It can easily be incorporated, and now I can't see it not happening.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Some kind of step would be better.

But there is a pretty big delta between the Cybertruck and the Ford. That fold down chair thing would be damned near dragging the ground on the Cybertruck.
I don't actually like the pull-out tailgate step of the f150 much at all. As ugly a solution as I've ever seen, plus about as clumsy as putting a stool there, except a stool would be more useful for other things.

Those bumper step corners aren't super pretty either, but if done right would just blend in and just be a part of the bumper, instead of adding a new batch of parts. Dunno if they are IP protected some how though. There's an after market pull down versions as below which will be going on mine otherwise, at least on one side.

The other thing those steps are good for is getting in the bed with the tailgate up. Even less to do to get in, and whatever is in the bed can stay there whilst doing so.

images (17).jpeg

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
That aftermarket step you posted was on I think a Chevy by default at the show. Not exactly sure which truck but I definitely saw one of those steps to get easy access to the bed without tailgate down. Loved it

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't actually like the pull-out tailgate step of the f150 much at all. As ugly a solution as I've ever seen, plus about as clumsy as putting a stool there, except a stool would be more useful for other things.

Those bumper step corners aren't super pretty either, but if done right would just blend in and just be a part of the bumper, instead of adding a new batch of parts. Dunno if they are IP protected some how though. There's an after market pull down versions as below which will be going on mine otherwise, at least on one side.

The other thing those steps are good for is getting in the bed with the tailgate up. Even less to do to get in, and whatever is in the bed can stay there whilst doing so.

images (17).jpeg
Not this one, but the one on the Silverado was bumper height (cut into the bumper side). The Cybertruck will be able to “Kneel” so the end of the tailgate is lower than the Silverado’s bumper height.

These which fold out are quite nice, but I can’t say I’d use them versus just pulling down the Cybertruck and stepping up into it.

This one (I think GM?) seems pretty cool. But I think what all of this does is emphasize how truck makers have lost track of the primary purpose of the truck. If you have to use elaborate stairs to use the primary cargo area, you probably screwed something up.

1650172666732.jpeg

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This is an old photo, but gives a good idea of how low it gets.

1650169777762.jpeg
How high do you reckon it is..

Looks less that the tailgate height off the ground... now we need the tailgate dimensions lol and a Pixel Master.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Not this one, but the one on the Silverado was bumper height (cut into the bumper side). The Cybertruck will be able to “Kneel” so the end of the tailgate is lower than the Silverado’s bumper height.

These which fold out are quite nice, but I can’t say I’d use them versus just pulling down the Cybertruck and stepping up into it.

This one (I think GM?) seems pretty cool. But I think what all of this does is emphasize how truck makers have lost track of the primary purpose of the truck. If you have to use elaborate stairs to use the primary cargo area, you probably screwed something up.

1650172666732.jpeg
Yeah that picture is from the Silverado but also has the corner bumper steps. Much better than the F150 version. That tailgate step is also the load stop when the tailgate is down which is nifty, but I don't particularly like the split tailgate.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The Cybertruck was shown with steps on the side of the tailgate, too, so...?

-Crissa

-Crissa
I wasn’t sure if that was a step or what. That would be a good place for a step so you can use the side of the bed wall to stabilize yourself.

Tenksen

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Thanks for the pictures Throwcomputer. I actually like the Silverado and kia/Hyundai have put out some unique stuff. I like the interiors I hope Tesla offer some suitably crazy sci-fi options for Cybertruck for it to stand out. Not too hopeful on that though they seem to go pretty bare bones with their interiors.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

-Crissa
Um I haven't seen any, do you have a picture pls?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
True. But this will take a year or two to trickle down to the point where the last holdouts will put their butts in a friends or most likely a child's Tesla. Doesn't cost much to participate in an auto show or a couple in key big car markets with way more eyes and butts on them in a short period of time.
Tesla has no demand problem now or in three years from now. I'm not sure what part of that you don't understand.

No one can compete with Tesla on price, Tesla is raking in the profits by the wheelbarrow load at current prices while legacy auto is struggling to break even at prices set so high they can only sell 10K a year! Tesla is the most efficient automaker in the world and one small part of that is they don't spend hundreds of millions on advertising.

Here's a little secret for you. Tesla doesn't even offer the Model 3 Standard Range anymore but, if they did, they could sell it at a profit at around $30K even though it's a better car than many costing twice that. They would sell as many as they could make but they are sticking to the high margin products right now.

Advertising is for losers. It's a way to convince the consumer to do something dumb. But, you know what speaks louder than advertising? That's right, value! Car buyers demand they get a good value for their hard-earned money and that's hard to offer when you're spending $2K of customer money on every car they sell.

Just because Tesla could sucker people into paying $5K more per car, while only spending $2K more per car on advertising, doesn't mean they should do it. That's the difference between Tesla and legacy auto and it's why I call them legacy auto. Because their time has come and gone. Consumers won't put up with it now that they have another option.

And guess what? By not showing up to those industry pimp fests, Tesla sets themselves apart from the companies who have been robing auto consumers blind for decades. Not showing up makes a powerful statement, it's a form of advertising that benefits Tesla. They stand above the brawling legacy automakers begging you to buy their inferior wares. It used to be normal but people will start to see how bad it looks. All it took was for one man to show people a different way.

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Tesla has no demand problem now or in three years from now. I'm not sure what part of that you don't understand.

No one can compete with Tesla on price, Tesla is raking in the profits by the wheelbarrow load at current prices while legacy auto is struggling to break even at prices set so high they can only sell 10K a year! Tesla is the most efficient automaker in the world and one small part of that is they don't spend hundreds of millions on advertising.

Here's a little secret for you. Tesla doesn't even offer the Model 3 Standard Range anymore but, if they did, they could sell it at a profit at around $30K even though it's a better car than many costing twice that. They would sell as many as they could make but they are sticking to the high margin products right now.

Advertising is for losers. It's a way to convince the consumer to do something dumb. But, you know what speaks louder than advertising? That's right, value! Car buyers demand they get a good value for their hard-earned money and that's hard to offer when you're spending $2K of customer money on every car they sell.

Just because Tesla could sucker people into paying $5K more per car, while only spending $2K more per car on advertising, doesn't mean they should do it. That's the difference between Tesla and legacy auto and it's why I call them legacy auto. Because their time has come and gone. Consumers won't put up with it now that they have another option.

And guess what? By not showing up to those industry pimp fests, Tesla sets themselves apart from the companies who have been robing auto consumers blind for decades. Not showing up makes a powerful statement, it's a form of advertising that benefits Tesla. They stand above the brawling legacy automakers begging you to buy their inferior wares. It used to be normal but people will start to see how bad it looks. All it took was for one man to show people a different way.
I fully understand they don't need to advertise to people like you and me. I don't know what you don't understand about their lack of penetration with people who hate technology. Can't hurt to penetrate that stubborn population. Easiest way for that is to participate in the industry standard trade show format.

But they don't need it and they don't really care so I hear that and I understand it. I just think they would kill it if they went at that crowd cause it would speed up the transition.

I also don't understand the hard stance on screw advertising and screw everyone who suggests it! Its peanuts for them in the grand scheme.
Sponsored