Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla’s Full Self-Driving subscription is coming in Q2 2021 work-pic-update-80x80

ByJoey Klender
Posted on March 1, 2021

Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed today that the electric automaker’s Full Self-Driving subscription program would be available in Q2 2021.

Tesla’s Full Self-Driving suite is a robust, semi-autonomous driving functionality that allows owners to experience arguably the best self-driving program available in the world currently. With Tesla rolling out a Beta version of its FSD suite to a select number of owners in October 2020, the program has expanded to more drivers in 2021. The suite costs $10,000 on top of the car’s cost and can be purchased at any time.

However, owners who choose to wait run the risk of the suite increasing in price as Tesla adds features. Price increases were frequent in 2020, doubling from $5,000 at the beginning of the year to $10,000 by October. The number of features increased and included things like Stop Sign and Traffic Light Detection, which would cause the automaker to make the suite more expensive.

It was rumored early last year that Tesla would offer a subscription service. Elon Musk confirmed that it would be available, but it has encountered several delays. Initially, it was supposed to be rolled out last year. Then it became early 2021, but now Musk indicates that Tesla will release the subscription option in Q2 2021.

During Tesla’s Q4 2020 Earnings Call in January, Musk said that it would come “in a month or two.” It is most likely that Tesla is waiting to roll out the program because a fairly substantial update is coming to the suite. Musk stated that the company would be “upgrading all Neural Networks to surround video using subnets on focal areas,” and Tesla needed some more time to write and validate the software.

The subscription service will be advantageous for those interested in having the FSD software but don’t want to put out the $10,000 lump sum. Musk has said on several occasions that it will be more financially viable to purchase the FSD suite because it “will still be a better long-term deal than [the] subscription.”

Tesla’s FSD suite is virtually invaluable at this point. Musk once indicated that the rollout of a complete FSD suite is valued at $100,000. After it is released in a “feature complete” fashion, Tesla can begin establishing its Robotaxi fleet, which could make owners up to $30,000 per year if they choose to participate in the fully autonomous ride-hailing platform.

SOURCE: TESLARATI
Sponsored

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Student
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
No, it can't be confirmed, since they're not offering it yet, nor released any info on it.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Julien

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Honda Accord, Reserved Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
I hope it's not over 200 a month. That would be as bad as the cost of buying it upfront (over 5 years).

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I hope it's not over 200 a month. That would be as bad as the cost of buying it upfront (over 5 years).
Isn’t some of the idea that you can subscribe to it for a month when you’re going on a trip and ditch it again? I can see them charge a bit extra for the benefit of turning it off and on at whim. Maybe just the holidays of a year. Others who pay up front have also paid for it when they’re just quickly driving to the grocery store and every possible drive, more spread out (and the benefit of the advance for Tesla).

On the other side if I desperately don’t want to drive myself the FSD sub competes with the train tickets or maybe flight. And up to USD 300 is a lot for one trip.

I would maybe get to know it and test FSD more if it was a cost per hour, and maybe more easily end up buying it fully (with a deduction of what I have paid for the sub up until then).

Julien

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Honda Accord, Reserved Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Isn’t some of the idea that you can subscribe to it for a month when you’re going on a trip and ditch it again? I can see them charge a bit extra for the benefit of turning it off and on at whim. Maybe just the holidays of a year. Others who pay up front have also paid for it when they’re just quickly driving to the grocery store and every possible drive, more spread out (and the benefit of the advance for Tesla).

On the other side if I desperately don’t want to drive myself the FSD sub competes with the train tickets or maybe flight. And up to USD 300 is a lot for one trip.

I would maybe get to know it and test FSD more if it was a cost per hour, and maybe more easily end up buying it fully (with a deduction of what I have paid for the sub up until then).
I really just want Tesla to make FSD's capabilities separate. By that I mean that they should make Summon, Auto park, 360 cameras (hopefully they'll add it), and the actual FSD driving separate options so people aren't forced to pay 10k plus to get capabilities they don't need/want.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I really just want Tesla to make FSD's capabilities separate. By that I mean that they should make Summon, Auto park, 360 cameras (hopefully they'll add it), and the actual FSD driving separate options so people aren't forced to pay 10k plus to get capabilities they don't need/want.
Ahh, yes, alacarte, that's a great way to pump up the price.

-Crissa

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Ahh, yes, alacarte, that's a great way to pump up the price.

-Crissa
Indeed. If Porsche had FSD a’la carte they would list and have separate prices for “Summon, forwards” and “Summon, backwards”, etc and not list them in the same page to add confusion ?
Sponsored